DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

On 24/04/2021 at 11:09, Frank Hovis said:

Fuck's sake.

And the government's answer to this mess is to guarantee low deposit mortgages.

Just putting in a marker to myself on Rightmove as I'm expectng this to become even worse.

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125

Of which three bed or more: 63

Of which £1,000 per month or less: 19

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^61294&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=1000&sortType=1&propertyTypes=&includeLetAgreed=false&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=

Now 18 properties and realistically less as this one really doesn't count 

3 bedroom detached house for rent in Worvas Lane, Ruan Minor, TR12 (rightmove.co.uk)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Our average is £23k.

My step brother lives in Bristol.

He and his wife are both teachers with a paid for house. Lucky buggers.

Fair enough but I doubt you're competing against locals on average salaries. 

In just a few years my old ex local pub went from spit and sawdust working class full of local tradies to plummy accent hipsters tossers in their 20s/30s who would fucking laugh at £30k.

The IoW and Cornwall are desirable places to live now and local salaries are a red herring as the people you're competing with aren't on local salaries. 

Wight Flight
14 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Fair enough but I doubt you're competing against locals on average salaries. 

In just a few years my old ex local pub went from spit and sawdust working class full of local tradies to plummy accent hipsters tossers in their 20s/30s who would fucking laugh at £30k.

The IoW and Cornwall are desirable places to live now and local salaries are a red herring as the people you're competing with aren't on local salaries. 

No, I am not competing with local salaries.

But I see the harm this is doing. It isn't actually about me, but all the poor sods that are really struggling.

If rents go up by £1k a month it will piss me off but I can cope with it. There are many that can't cope with them going up even £50 a month.

I accept that I am part of the problem. I just wish I knew the solution.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

reformed nice guy
11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I just wish I knew the solution.

It really is as simple as less migrants. Nothing more complicated than that.

Our average birth rate is less than 2 per female so our population would slowly decrease over time.

• Agree 5

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, reformed nice guy said:

It really is as simple as less migrants. Nothing more complicated than that.

Our average birth rate is less than 2 per female so our population would slowly decrease over time.

How are you defining a migrant?

Someone moving from Ewell to Ryde?

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

How are you defining a migrant?

Someone moving from Ewell to Ryde?

I live in the town I was born in. Anyone who doesn't is a migrant!

• Lol 2

VeryMeanReversion
On 25/04/2021 at 08:39, CVG said:

I really don't give a fig about how rich other people are so I'm fine with people owning multiple houses and renting them out and holidaying in them.

I don't mind people hoarding discretionaries but I don't like hoarding of essentials which have limited supply (housing/food/water/energy).

I would prefer holiday homes to go through the planning system.

• Agree 3

Green Devil
9 hours ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

I don't mind people hoarding discretionaries but I don't like hoarding of essentials which have limited supply (housing/food/water/energy).

I would prefer holiday homes to go through the planning system.

They do the same with student lets/hmo buy to lets. It takes a home from the normal local supply. Often councils have planning restriction's on HMOs (called Article 4). Theres absolutely no reason why they could not do it for second home/ holiday lets. At least charge the essential housing grabbers a charge for it (like they do with HMOs 1000s per year.).

• Agree 2

On 25/04/2021 at 21:21, eek said:

Now 18 properties and realistically less as this one really doesn't count 

3 bedroom detached house for rent in Worvas Lane, Ruan Minor, TR12 (rightmove.co.uk)

On 24/04/2021 at 11:16, Wight Flight said:

Ok. I will join in. Your population is almost exactly 4 times ours.

Total rentals available - 29

Three bed or more - 9

Of which under £1k - 5

I think we are officially slightly more fucked than you are.

If you add +15 miles to your search you get 500-odd results.

489 are in Plymouth. Guess you folk from Kernow turn your nose up at Plymouth. Only just across the bridge from gods own country. What's wrong with it?

Definitely rural that's a problem, Bude +30mi to still avoid cities gives 30 results.

However don't think this data is reliable or means much since am pretty sure that most rentals will not get listed at all in this type of market. Listing s probably added with let agreed to achieve EA aim of a. suggesting to owner they marketed it and considered multiple applicants but here's the choice, b. advertising to owners that the EA can find tenants. Suspect there will be many empty brown envelopes at the  EA office. 'Twas ever thus.

58 minutes ago, BWW said:

489 are in Plymouth. Guess you folk from Kernow turn your nose up at Plymouth. Only just across the bridge from gods own country. What's wrong with it?

Definitely rural that's a problem, Bude +30mi to still avoid cities gives 30 results.

However don't think this data is reliable or means much since am pretty sure that most rentals will not get listed at all in this type of market. Listing s probably added with let agreed to achieve EA aim of a. suggesting to owner they marketed it and considered multiple applicants but here's the choice, b. advertising to owners that the EA can find tenants. Suspect there will be many empty brown envelopes at the  EA office. 'Twas ever thus.

Because Plymouth is a different world and who is going to spend 1 hour + travelling to a minimum wage job. 

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
On 24/04/2021 at 11:09, Frank Hovis said:

Updating this a few days on:

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125 -> 112

Of which three bed or more: 63 -> 53

Of which £1,000 per month or less: 19 -> 13

Frank Hovis
3 hours ago, BWW said:

2 hours ago, eek said:

Because Plymouth is a different world and who is going to spend 1 hour + travelling to a minimum wage job. 

This.

And as somebody who has driven the jammed and accident-strewn stretch of the A38 from the Tamar Bridge to Trerulefoot Roundabout over a thousand times each way it is not something that I would deliberately choose to have as part of my daily drive.

There are plenty of nice areas in Plymouth, along with some terrible ones, but you are not going to move there if you have a job / kids in school in Cornwall except possibly if at Saltash or Torpoint.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This.

And as somebody who has driven the jammed and accident-strewn stretch of the A38 from the Tamar Bridge to Trerulefoot Roundabout over a thousand times each way it is not something that I would deliberately choose to have as part of my daily drive.

There are plenty of nice areas in Plymouth, along with some terrible ones, but you are not going to move there if you have a job / kids in school in Cornwall except possibly if at Saltash or Torpoint.

I am hearing that landlords have finally caught on, and we have a new system now.

You make your offer (over asking, obviously), and the estate agent keeps going round all the interested parties until only the highest bidder is left.

They would save time going to sealed bids, but they have sod all else to do so I guess it keeps them occupied.

Let us know when that catches on down your way.

• Informative 2

Bobthebuilder

This is a fascinating thread, I had no idea things had got this bad in the shires.

I used to have a dream about owning a small cottage in rural SW. That's all over now, so many people with 2nd homes, holiday lets, Airbnb etc. No longer worth even thinking about any more, it's just crazy.

I now realize I can stay in a hotel for my yearly visits for less than the council tax would cost me.

The lack of rentals in Kernow and the IOW currently, is a scandal IMO.

• Agree 1

Green Devil
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Updating this a few days on:

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125 -> 112

Of which three bed or more: 63 -> 53

Of which £1,000 per month or less: 19 -> 13

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction

Probably why? Its not really surprising. Getting rid of tenants is now a long and very expensive process. So it isnt surprising why private landlords are shying away from it. There was talk of even removing the no fault eviction altogether. Not sure if this was actually done by the tories.

This sort of thing should be left to companies and government schemes with time and money on their hands not private landlords loaded up with debt.

Must be 1000s living in Cornwall who have not paid rent in over a year just playing the system waiting to be evicted with more money in pockets than ever before. Where will they move to when evicted? Moved some northern town council house?

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
5 hours ago, RJT1979 said:

Must be 1000s living in Cornwall who have not paid rent in over a year just playing the system waiting to be evicted with more money in pockets than ever before. Where will they move to when evicted? Moved some northern town council house?

I've no feel for the numbers but there must be some who are doing that and I wonder what the future holds for them.

No private landlord will accept them as tenants and they will only obtain social housing if they have the requisite points. Forget it for single people or married / partners with no kids.

Their credit ratings will be shot so no mortgage will be coming.

Tent from Millets it is then.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
12 hours ago, Green Devil said:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction

Probably why? Its not really surprising. Getting rid of tenants is now a long and very expensive process. So it isnt surprising why private landlords are shying away from it. There was talk of even removing the no fault eviction altogether. Not sure if this was actually done by the tories.

This sort of thing should be left to companies and government schemes with time and money on their hands not private landlords loaded up with debt.

I think, and this is also what the estate and rental agents are saying, that the problem is being caused by people from up country moving down here, to buy or rent, plus increased second home purchase.

This has served to increase the demand for rentals whilst reducing the supply as landlords cash in by selling their rentals at the current inflated prices.

The drive for all of this is the Lockdown which has made people question why they live in a small flat in the middle of a big city when they could be living by the sea or in the countryside.

It's hard to see what can be done to address what is now a massive problem for private renters but I am disappointed that the Council has yet to acknowledge it as an immediate and urgent problem when they have happily signed up to the alleged Climate Emergency.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not so sure about that.

For some reason landlords rarely go for a CCJ so there will be nothing on their credit file.

And a year's rent saved up is possibly the 5% deposit they now need to buy - or 12 months up front on another rental.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've no feel for the numbers but there must be some who are doing that and I wonder what the future holds for them.

No private landlord will accept them as tenants and they will only obtain social housing if they have the requisite points. Forget it for single people or married / partners with no kids.

Tent from Millets it is then.

I would imagine even social housing would have them in the intentionally homeless list. 

I suspect however it won't be Cornwall where people have been pulling that trick, more likely to be eastern Europeans making their final year of money before heading back home. 

but as Wight Flight says if they've saved the money - they shouldn't have a problem. 

Edited by eek
  • Agree 2

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, eek said:

I would imagine even social housing would have them in the intentionally homeless list. 

That's not really important. There is no social housing.

17 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

That's not really important. There is no social housing.

There is some - Helston got a new estate a couple of years back - a friend managed to get one after I doublechecked her score and ensured she wasn't inadvertently dropping (a lot of) points...

As with everything to do with the Social, it's not what you need that matters, it is how you demonstrate that you need it.. 

Edited by eek

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, eek said:

There is some - Helston got a new estate a couple of years back - a friend managed to get one after I doublechecked her score and ensured she wasn't inadvertently dropping (a lot of) points...

As with everything to do with the Social, it's not what you need that matters is how you demonstrate that you need it.. 

That only works if they actually have somewhere that you can live.

If it is all occupied, there isn't much they can do, even if you qualify (which most men never would)

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

That only works if they actually have somewhere that you can live.

If it is all occupied, there isn't much they can do, even if you qualify (which most men never would)

Just to correct that perception it's childless singletons generally.  There isn't an anti-man bias going on.

More women have responsibility for children which makes them more eligible for social housing; it's that they have children and not that they are women.

There are six currently available on Devon Home Choice (I look at that as it's more comprehensive than the Cornish socila housing sites) though all flats or bedsits.

https://www.devonhomechoice.com/my-cbl/property-search?area=select&housingcategory=999&radios=Y&ahoflag=8&checkbox=

I found this lead comment intriguing; suggesting that there have been no people with points bidding on these six and they are therefore up for anyone who wants to rent them

There are 6 properties which are available now. You do not need to bid for these homes, just contact the landlord.

Though the only ones that look ok are the new build ones at Torridge (not sure where that is tbh) which are £540 a month for a two bed flat.

Though not knowing where Torridge actually is I don't meet the required conditions.

All first lets of these properties will be allocated to applicants who have a local connection to Torridge, demonstrated in the following ways; Have lived there for 6 out of the past 12 months or 3 out of the past 5 years Have permanent full/part time employment for at least the past 6 months etc.

https://www.devonhomechoice.com/aho-property-detail/514739609-AHO001745

AlfredTheLittle
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Just to correct that perception it's childless singletons generally.  There isn't an anti-man bias going on.

More women have responsibility for children which makes them more eligible for social housing; it's that they have children and not that they are women.

I'm not sure this is correct - take the example of a couple who have split up and share the children 50/50: only one parent will get the child benefit and the same parent will also be entitled to child tax credits and housing etc. The second parent won't be entitled to anything at all, and nor will the children when they're with that parent.

Change the childcare arrangement to 60/40, and the parent with the children 40% of the time not only won't get any entitlements but will also be paying maintenance. 

Sure, there's nothing that specifically says women get the benefits and men don't, and very occasionally the men will be getting them, but in at least 90% of cases it's the men who miss out - there's no doubt at all that if the situation was working the other way around, the rules would be rewritten very quickly.

• Agree 1