DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis
3 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

I'm not sure this is correct - take the example of a couple who have split up and share the children 50/50: only one parent will get the child benefit and the same parent will also be entitled to child tax credits and housing etc. The second parent won't be entitled to anything at all, and nor will the children when they're with that parent.

Change the childcare arrangement to 60/40, and the parent with the children 40% of the time not only won't get any entitlements but will also be paying maintenance. 

Sure, there's nothing that specifically says women get the benefits and men don't, and very occasionally the men will be getting them, but in at least 90% of cases it's the men who miss out - there's no doubt at all that if the situation was working the other way around, the rules would be rewritten very quickly.

Yes, though that's surely a family courts issue rather than a social housing ruling.

I'm trying to correct this idea that women have a cushy life and get loads of state benefits simply because they are women.

They gain advantages in both, beenfits and eligibility for social housing, if they have children and yes the legal system in this country usually favours them above men when it comes to custody.

• Agree 1

On 26/04/2021 at 09:50, VeryMeanReversion said:

I don't mind people hoarding discretionaries but I don't like hoarding of essentials which have limited supply (housing/food/water/energy).

I would prefer holiday homes to go through the planning system.

The issue you have here is that there will always be a section of the public who, for a variety of reasons, need somewhere to live, do not want to own a property and do not qualify for social housing.

Who do you expect to meet their needs?

I'm fine with companies (including sole trader LL's) providing the product so long as they are treated like companies. They use business financing, they meet regulatory standards and they go out of business if they are crap.

Frank Hovis

Big piece on this Radio Cornwall 8.05 - 8.15.

Letting agent in Hayle on saying she dreads posting a new let because she gets a hundred applicants and that means letting down 99. Feels like social worker as people in tears, offering more money etc.

Noted that lots of houses in the town are empty half the year i.e. holiday lets.

Family of four in Newquay trying, and failing, to find anywhere for six months as landlord selling up.

Both kids in local school, eldest in last year of A Levels. Work in the town, friends in the town.

Currently pay £780 per month and only suitable property available is £1,750 which they can't afford.

Standard line by presenter about may have to go into "temporary accommodation" but with the unprecedented influx of tourists this year owing to the ban on foreign travel I simply don't think that it will be available.

It's good that the problem is being given more prominence but there is still not a peep from the council and they are the ones who will have to pick up the pieces.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Wight Flight

@Frank Hovis

Do you traditionally have many HMOs in your neck of the woods?

We don't (or at least not that I am aware of)

When I moved here, there were plenty of 1 beds for £550, and two beds for £650. Coinciding with the LHA rates.

There are quite a few flat shares however, which I think is perfectly normal for the young.

But now, with prices zooming up, I guess that the only way that the lower paid will be able to get housing is HMOs. I will watch to see if they start appearing.

I think we are watching, in sped up motion, exactly how uncontrolled immigration drives the poorer into worse and worse living accommodation.

• Agree 2

On 22/04/2021 at 21:27, Wight Flight said:

Theres a lot at play here.

@One percent has PM me with a WTF from FB the other week -

I know I've posted before but my situation has gone massively downhill 5 of us stuck in a 1 bed flat with 26 days before we are told to move to a shelter have friends and my partner in whitby desperately need away from the current area does anyone know of any 2beds with dining room or 3 beds no pets no smokers please let me know tia

Before you start going all Jeremy Corbyn, this is a single Mum whos piled down from Sunderland, got a tiny 1 bed flat. then is expecting to accelerate  rehousing.

The problem with Whitby + IOW is there are small areas surrounded by much large shitholes. Cornwall less so -being a long way away from anywhere large.

At least the IOW has a ferry which slows them down.

In the late 80s, when Whitby was less popular and Scabby was favoured, a mate worked at the council. From May to Sep theyd get car loads of single mums for West + South Yorkshire  just drive or train up, present themselves at the councils office and expect to be housed.

No thought for what theyd do workwise (yeah, unlikely), kids school, whatever, they just turn up and expect someone else to sort their lives out.

With TCs/UC, this has got a lot worse.

Going thru the profiles on the IOW post, the majority are young mothers, with dogs, and kids with ADHD.

Exactly the same as Whitby Houses to let - some fat single mum, rarely local, 2-3 kids ADHD, staffy dog. All the same.

Going thru FB  - leaving their names out -

1st poster  - Looks like an old mum. Not sure if the piccy is dad or granddad. much older kids in older piccies, so maybe a 2nd go at TCs.

Post  Dec 2019 - Moved to Bath.

Maybe stay, whatever. but you cannot move here n there, expect people to sort you out.

Next - given notice after 13 years....

I do have sympathy. IO BTL are scum and should never have been allowed. Im seeing this in Whitby. Loads of IO BTL finally selling up.

I did think Id see a spread of IO BTL selling up when S24 came in. Nope. The moons dont seem to have took nay notice until theyve finally filed a tax return and have been told the bad news.

Next - single 43 taxi driver. check - from Newcastle on Tyne.

Fuck off back there.

Next - My hubby and I live in a static caravan.... lived on island for 29 years ... moved in with  mum in 92. Does not understand that statics are not 12 months accommodation. Hubby listed as being from Midlands.

Again, you cannot turn up and doss in holiday places. The money runs out. They should have been working every hour back in 92.

Seaside areas are not place  for the idle and feckless who are not on benefits. You need to work very hard during the up years and look for an extra job.

Next - Looking for my mum .... thatlll accept 2 retired grey hounds...

Her FB profile lists full-time mum, dominoes delivery  driver.

You cannot have pets in private rentals. its that simple. What pets than buy your own house. Might not like but thats the way the world is.

Next - Myself + partner are looking for 2 br property ... we have small rescue dog .. currently living at home.

Shes local, so have sympathy. But again, she needs to lose the dog. Leave it at her mams FFS.

She also do better moving away for a bit to earn some money.

Next - about to be homeless as LL want hosue for summer lets. no kis no pets.

Again, local. No kids no pets. A lot of sympathy for this one. Having her life fucked up by LL and tourists.

Next - Im a single mum .. mum living with us..

Local, looks ~18.

Next  Hi Im 34 2 children ... looking since Oct will be on housing benfit until I can sot work out ...

Sort your work out first FFS. Profile the goes thru standard single mum piccies ...

Next - Im 20 single son ... fleeing an abusive relationship ...SS put me in a mother + baby foster service ... SS have agreed to pay 6 motnhs rent up fornt.

DV is used as a means of getting rehoused.

Next - daughter homeless with twin 4 yo ... both with additional needs ..

Next - Ive been on homefinder 11 years ...

Posts continue in one variant or another ....

spys fixes , in rough order -

( IO BTL is gone. Its going to be messy going but effectively its dead).

- Remove access to all forms of bennies to non natives and look to make money from migrants - turn them into a profit rather than a cost centre.

The non of non natives in the UK drawing bennies and public services is a joke.

- Require  planning for holiday lets. Remove SBRR from FHLs - FHL pay full rates.

- Actively manage social housing. Review all tenancies every 2 years. End tenancy once the youngest is 18.

- If needed, build low, basic accommodation for people on benefits. You want a nice house then get a job.

- Remove cash benefits from single parents under 25. Provide hostel accommodation.

- Make continued employment a condition of social housing.

- In areas that draw a high number of non locals i.e. whitby IOW etc - make access to social housing dependent on local connection and employment.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

@Frank Hovis

Do you traditionally have many HMOs in your neck of the woods?

We don't (or at least not that I am aware of)

When I moved here, there were plenty of 1 beds for £550, and two beds for £650. Coinciding with the LHA rates.

There are quite a few flat shares however, which I think is perfectly normal for the young.

But now, with prices zooming up, I guess that the only way that the lower paid will be able to get housing is HMOs. I will watch to see if they start appearing.

I think we are watching, in sped up motion, exactly how uncontrolled immigration drives the poorer into worse and worse living accommodation.

There are clusters of them in the poor areas of each town but are also going to be full.

Ultimately younger single people can move back in with their parents or sofa surf.

There is however a significant proportion of families who have been lifelong renters owing to the wages / house prices disconnect in the nicer parts of Cornwall.

It's them who are scrabbling for the three bed / two bed house rentals when they come up and in West Cornwall, including the poorer inland areas, and they're just not getting them.

Lead news story in each broadcast has been the family of four, the wife has been interviewed and sounds a decent sort and not at all rough, in Newquay with six days left to find a house rental because the owner gave them six months notice as they are selling and it is now coming to an end.

What a position to be in.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Lead news story in each broadcast has been the family of four, the wife has been interviewed and sounds a decent sort and not at all rough, in Newquay with six days left to find a house rental because the owner gave them six months notice as they are selling and it is now coming to an end.

What a position to be in.

Sad to say their only real option is to stay put.

But if they are honest folk, they won't even contemplate that.

• Agree 1

On 28/04/2021 at 17:10, Bobthebuilder said:

This is a fascinating thread, I had no idea things had got this bad in the shires.

I used to have a dream about owning a small cottage in rural SW. That's all over now, so many people with 2nd homes, holiday lets, Airbnb etc. No longer worth even thinking about any more, it's just crazy.

I now realize I can stay in a hotel for my yearly visits for less than the council tax would cost me.

The lack of rentals in Kernow and the IOW currently, is a scandal IMO.

I think its a massive blip, caused by covid and lockdowns and S24 finally getting thru thick IO BTLers heads.

There also a lot of idiot properdee money going into holiday lets - Cant make money with IO BTL .... FHL are where it at.

Sorting out FHL  taxation was in the HMRC work queue before covid.

Needs to speeded up.

Te local council has dum a stupid hotel investment to generate 3m its been told to cut.

A quick lock at the FHL lets alone in Whitby would raise that 3m if they are OO. paying ctax.

LAs and HMRC are losing billions de to FHL and AirBNB. I doubt it can continue.

It doesnt help that most FHL are in economically deprived area, so low paid are shouldering more taxation whilst some idiot outsider is having a tax free investment and making the locals lives hell.

• Agree 2

On 24/04/2021 at 10:49, Frank Hovis said:

There has ironically been a huge amount of housebuilding in Cornwall but this has mostly been bought by people moving from up country in my estimation.  I have no problem with this - if somebody already in the UK wishes to live somewhere else in the UK that's fine.  It's the tourists / second homers / holiday lets that I dislike en masse if not on an individual level.

A lot of the people struggling to find a rental will be registering with the Council as being at risk of homelessness so the Council must know the situation.  Though what they can do bar highlighting it and appealing for empty homes to be let out in what is going to be the busiest tourist summer in Cornwall ever with everything fully booked I cannot see; but they haven't even done this.

Massive and continued rise in house building around Whitby. Id guess housing numbers are up ~15% in 20 years.

Yet the number of FT residents, the number which decides provisioning of local services, continues to fall.

• Agree 1

On 25/04/2021 at 20:27, JoeDavola said:

About 10 years ago a mate of mine rented a room in a really shitty house share in a really shitty street in Belfast.

Each of the occupants of the house share was a person in their 30's or older in a minimum wage job who didn't have a partner or children.

The posts above seem to suggest that this is where things will continue to drift towards for lower earners - the quality of life they can aspire to is renting a room in a shared house like a student.

I think thats always been the case.

Bedsits have always been full of single people doing low paid jobs.

If they could hock up and form a stable relationship, theyd have two incomes to play with.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

If they could hock up and form a stable relationship, theyd have two incomes to play with.

Three incomes if they can pop out a couple kids and max out the Tax Credits ;)

Four if you include the Autism-Bennies that about 20% of kids seem to be getting these days.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Just to correct that perception it's childless singletons generally.  There isn't an anti-man bias going on.

More women have responsibility for children which makes them more eligible for social housing; it's that they have children and not that they are women.

There are six currently available on Devon Home Choice (I look at that as it's more comprehensive than the Cornish socila housing sites) though all flats or bedsits.

https://www.devonhomechoice.com/my-cbl/property-search?area=select&housingcategory=999&radios=Y&ahoflag=8&checkbox=

I found this lead comment intriguing; suggesting that there have been no people with points bidding on these six and they are therefore up for anyone who wants to rent them

Though the only ones that look ok are the new build ones at Torridge (not sure where that is tbh) which are £540 a month for a two bed flat.

Though not knowing where Torridge actually is I don't meet the required conditions.

All first lets of these properties will be allocated to applicants who have a local connection to Torridge, demonstrated in the following ways; Have lived there for 6 out of the past 12 months or 3 out of the past 5 years Have permanent full/part time employment for at least the past 6 months etc.

https://www.devonhomechoice.com/aho-property-detail/514739609-AHO001745

20 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

I'm not sure this is correct - take the example of a couple who have split up and share the children 50/50: only one parent will get the child benefit and the same parent will also be entitled to child tax credits and housing etc. The second parent won't be entitled to anything at all, and nor will the children when they're with that parent.

Change the childcare arrangement to 60/40, and the parent with the children 40% of the time not only won't get any entitlements but will also be paying maintenance. 

Sure, there's nothing that specifically says women get the benefits and men don't, and very occasionally the men will be getting them, but in at least 90% of cases it's the men who miss out - there's no doubt at all that if the situation was working the other way around, the rules would be rewritten very quickly.

The family courts are very much in favour of the woman, no matter how shit she is.

Where its contested, the rules on who gets the kids should change to take into account cost to UKGOV i.e. favour the parent who'll put less burden on the state.

What i see constantly with nasty split ups is the women getting the kids - Me Honour, I would not let me ex look after a gold fish ...

Yet when the kids gets to 15ish - or 18 - they move in with the Dad with barely a squeak from the mother, other than bitching about loss of bennies.

Forget whether couples are married or not. Probably the major factor i whether  a kids going to grow up and get a job is if they are living with a working adult.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Yep - were Cornwall to have any legal aid for Tenancy Advice or anyone sane at the council that would be the advice.

Stay put until you find somewhere or a High Court Bailiff kicks you out.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

I think its a massive blip, caused by covid and lockdowns and S24 finally getting thru thick IO BTLers heads.

There also a lot of idiot properdee money going into holiday lets - Cant make money with IO BTL .... FHL are where it at.

Sorting out FHL  taxation was in the HMRC work queue before covid.

Needs to speeded up.

Te local council has dum a stupid hotel investment to generate 3m its been told to cut.

A quick lock at the FHL lets alone in Whitby would raise that 3m if they are OO. paying ctax.

It doesnt help that most FHL are in economically deprived area, so low paid are shouldering more taxation whilst some idiot outsider is having a tax free investment and making the locals lives hell.

It really is very simple, residential property should be subject to consistent (Council Tax) taxation.

And Holiday lets should be subject to that x3 or x4 simply because they remove housing from the area...

• Agree 3

With a crooked smile
22 hours ago, spygirl said:

HMRC requested and got Airbnb hosts data maybe a year ago. Yet to read of any prosecutions tho. 

Technically BTL mortgages typically can't be used for holiday let's and there are very few lenders in this part of the market. 

I never use Airbnb ignore all the BS that they spout about local experiences they have caused massive social damage to communities and are massively under regulated. 

Edit added link https://www.rsmuk.com/ideas-and-insights/tax-voice-november-2020/airbnb-to-provide-landlord-details-to-hmrc

Edited by With a crooked smile
Link added
  • Informative 1

13 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

HMRC requested and got Airbnb hosts data maybe a year ago. Yet to read of any prosecutions tho. 

Technically BTL mortgages typically can't be used for holiday let's and there are very few lenders in this part of the market. 

I never use Airbnb ignore all the BS that they spout about local experiences they have caused massive social damage to communities and are massively under regulated. 

Edit added link https://www.rsmuk.com/ideas-and-insights/tax-voice-november-2020/airbnb-to-provide-landlord-details-to-hmrc

Oh I know FHL mortgages are a specialist market.

Biggies are Leeds and Cumberland BS.

Both are treading in very very very risky. I expect one or both to go under.

37 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

HMRC rarely prosecute in a way that makes news.

They don't need to as they have their own tribunals up to the Court of Appeal..

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
1 minute ago, eek said:

Agreed but I thought they make some noise with someone to send the message out. 

I'd love to know if they really follow this up. It strikes me that there must be a lot of low hanging fruit that have a complete data trail of tax evasion meaning minimal investigation needed and no real ability to evade prosecution or fines. 

6 minutes ago, eek said:

They don't need to as they have their own tribunals up to the Court of Appeal..

2 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Agreed but I thought they make some noise with someone to send the message out. 

I'd love to know if they really follow this up. It strikes me that there must be a lot of low hanging fruit that have a complete data trail of tax evasion meaning minimal investigation needed and no real ability to evade prosecution or fines. 

Due process.

Its new stuff, HMRC dont jump in a start prosecuting.

With IO BTL, they worked o nth assumption that LL ought to be filling tax returns  but there might not have a been a tax liability, so there was not justification for pursuing LL out of the blue.

With S24, the removal of offsetting mortgage payments from rent has created a tax liability, so there is money to go after.

Last 12 months will have seen 100s of 1000s of letter go out to leverage IO BTL asking for tax owed.

cant fidn it, but there was an article where hMRC saif 90% of LL had failed to file a return in 2019. They know hwo he LL are, what the mortgage is, and if paying via bank transfer, how much rent is being paid.

They *want* the LL to volunteer for being reeamed. They can wait whilst the liability builds.

This is another reason why bank need to be getting rid of their IO BTL book -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hmrc-as-a-preferential-creditor/hmrc-as-a-preferential-creditor

Banks are behind HMRC when they go bust.

AirBNB is v new. HMRC suspect there ta beign dodged but dont know the numberss - AitrBNB works by blurring everything.

Las are interested AirBNB for safety and regulation and planning.

13 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Due process.

Its new stuff, HMRC dont jump in a start prosecuting.

With IO BTL, they worked o nth assumption that LL ought to be filling tax returns  but there might not have a been a tax liability, so there was not justification for pursuing LL out of the blue.

With S24, the removal of offsetting mortgage payments from rent has created a tax liability, so there is money to go after.

Last 12 months will have seen 100s of 1000s of letter go out to leverage IO BTL asking for tax owed.

cant fidn it, but there was an article where hMRC saif 90% of LL had failed to file a return in 2019. They know hwo he LL are, what the mortgage is, and if paying via bank transfer, how much rent is being paid.

They *want* the LL to volunteer for being reeamed. They can wait whilst the liability builds.

This is another reason why bank need to be getting rid of their IO BTL book -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hmrc-as-a-preferential-creditor/hmrc-as-a-preferential-creditor

Banks are behind HMRC when they go bust.

AirBNB is v new. HMRC suspect there ta beign dodged but dont know the numberss - AitrBNB works by blurring everything.

Las are interested AirBNB for safety and regulation and planning.

Intentionally not filling in a tax return when you should do so is a £100 a day fine from 6 months after the due date (which for 2018/19 tax year is July 31st 2021).

Oh and a fine of up to 100% or more of the tax due on top of the tax due.

HMRC have little need to rush to pay - it's highly profitable for them to wait a while (especially if they get the money before the bank does on a forced sale).

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
On 30/04/2021 at 10:05, Wight Flight said:

Without relistening to it I think that they had been in that rental a long time ten or more years maybe and gave the impression of having had a good relationship with the landlady who had kept them informed of her plans to sell before giving them notice.

Given that background I think 95%+ of people would vacate as requested because it's not the landlady's fault that they can't get somehwere else.

Frank Hovis
On 28/04/2021 at 13:47, Frank Hovis said:

Updating this again:

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125 -> 112 -> 88

Of which three bed or more: 63 -> 53 -> 36

Of which £1,000 per month or less: 19 -> 13 -> 7 (or rather 6, one is a house share in an eight bed house)

They are figuratively if not literally falling off a cliff.

The first numbers were 24 April so this has all happened in a week.

As they are so few in number I can even list the last category: Redruth (2), Liskeard, Lostwithiel, Looe.

• Informative 3

On 14/04/2021 at 07:18, spygirl said:

Oh .... not even close.

'HI we've just moved to Whitby (normally some council house swap) Which are the best schools for kid - little Xenon has ADHD and a care plan.

Also what jobs are there?'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56734468

Newquay has been named the hottest property seller's market by online property portal, Rightmove.

It says eight out of 10 listed homes have been sold, subject to contract, since the start of the year, the fastest moving market in the UK.

Reflecting the trend for less-centralised living, it says city centre properties are moving much more slowly.

Birmingham city centre is the worst place for sellers. Only 18% of properties have sold so far this year.

Ah hey mean 'sold' not sold.

Newquay is like fantasy house buying - lets live in Newquay Quentin.

Id bet when the dust and excitement settles no more houses will be sold Newquay than 2019.

Bham -and London - are more typical. There is no market/buyer for most property.

Saw this FB post and thought of this post.

Petition to err turn every school into a SENschool.

GIst - her kids got autism (I dont know whether she has or not. 90% of the kids at mrs spys whose parents claim the kid have atuism dont have it). The post does not say whether ses been diagnosed (not that that means anything) or whether theres funding.

Basically shes SEN but not SEN enough or doesnt want her to go to a specific school - might involve the mother getting up earlier - or being found out.

The area has a few SEN schools.

Changes need to be made so more funding is available for schools and local authorities to offer better provisions for SEN children, especially those who do not fit the criteria for special needs EMS/mainstream schools. So no other child falls through the system.

Recently my daughter has been refused access to all local schools. Special schools are not right for her, but she is too high need for EMS and mainstream. So where does she go - we have a gap in the system for some children.

More special needs provisions are needed for children who may not have a learning disability, and just need to learn in a different way. We need more funding in local authorities so children like my daughter are given the best shot at an education like any other child.

One percent
28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Saw this FB post and thought of this post.

Petition to err turn every school into a SENschool.

GIst - her kids got autism (I dont know whether she has or not. 90% of the kids at mrs spys whose parents claim the kid have atuism dont have it). The post does not say whether ses been diagnosed (not that that means anything) or whether theres funding.

Basically shes SEN but not SEN enough or doesnt want her to go to a specific school - might involve the mother getting up earlier - or being found out.

The area has a few SEN schools.

Changes need to be made so more funding is available for schools and local authorities to offer better provisions for SEN children, especially those who do not fit the criteria for special needs EMS/mainstream schools. So no other child falls through the system.

Recently my daughter has been refused access to all local schools. Special schools are not right for her, but she is too high need for EMS and mainstream. So where does she go - we have a gap in the system for some children.

More special needs provisions are needed for children who may not have a learning disability, and just need to learn in a different way. We need more funding in local authorities so children like my daughter are given the best shot at an education like any other child.

That’s a massive self entitlement. Surely if you have a special kid, you don’t move and then work out schooling. Oh, and why was kid refused access to all schools?  

• Agree 1

haroldshand
On 26/03/2021 at 11:31, Frank Hovis said:

To top it all I heard on the radio that Newquay (population 30k+) had one single property available to rent on Rightmove.  I couldn't quite believe this so checked.

There are currently actually three; and only one would be enough for a family.  Maybe it was a family looking hence their saying just the one.  Which is unprecedented.

I always try and not to follow the herd and think outside the box, Cornwall and Devon are nice but are now over populated with tourists and second home owners, there is no value for money there anymore.

It's like so many people have to be told something is fashionable before they will consider it, So many places in Suffolk worth considering and even Northumberland has some gems. But every spot in the UK now has outsiders or foreigners coming in though not as bad as the west country.

I remember I had a chance to pick up a 2 bed stone cottage in Wells North Norfolk for £38K not all that long ago, then everyone caught onto the place, same as Framlingham and Melford now in Suffolk, Northumberland though still has a few cheaper properties

• Agree 1