DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis
25 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I remember I had a chance to pick up a 2 bed stone cottage in Wells North Norfolk for £38K not all that long ago, then everyone caught onto the place, same as Framlingham and Melford now in Suffolk, Northumberland though still has a few cheaper properties

That's the key: don't follow the herd.

If I get fed up with the tourist crush down here - though hopefully this coming summer shitstorm is a one-off - then I will be heading to the rural splendour of wider Hereford and Worcester area with enormous houses with land available for buttons.

This one, no longer available, looked to have unbelievable value.

Seven bed detached, tennis court, nine acres for £850k.  Wow.

37550_COS170105_IMG_01_0001.jpg

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/59554795#/

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

BurntBread
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If I get fed up with the tourist crush down here - though hopefully this coming summer shitstorm is a one-off - then I will be heading to the rural splendour of wider Hereford and Worcester area with enormous houses with land available for buttons.

Frank, that's made out of lego.

• Lol 2

haroldshand
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep I quite liked that area as well, Ross on Wye  (think that's the name looked nice) Shropshire had some nice little places and cheap, not sure what it's like now, Ludlow and near by

• Agree 1

haroldshand

Lets face it, hardly anywhere in the UK is value anymore. I am earning more than ever now and have no complaints about anything in my life, plenty of travel and social life(in normal times), food and transports bikes and cars etc, but houses I just cannot part with my money for UK property right now and would sooner live in a boat if I was staying in the UK

• Agree 5

14 hours ago, haroldshand said:

but houses I just cannot part with my money for UK property right now and would sooner live in a boat if I was staying in the UK

I am the horns of a dilemma about this. Imminent completion on my late parents' house tomorrow. 

I currently rent so really I should use my share of the inheritance to put down a healthy deposit on a flat or smaller house somewhere but as you say there is no value. 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
5 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I am the horns of a dilemma about this. Imminent completion on my late parents' house tomorrow. 

I currently rent so really I should use my share of the inheritance to put down a healthy deposit on a flat or smaller house somewhere but as you say there is no value. 

Yes, I would be unsure.

My usual advice, which I followed myself, is if you can buy a detached house in which you would be happy to live then you should do so because of the many benefits that brings.

At the moment however so much is both bonkers and apparently transient and it might go who knows where that I would probably be sitting it out for now to see where it settles.

Mad times.

• Informative 1

haroldshand
5 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Imagine having £500,000 cash in your back pocket and lets say for now  totally take British housing out of the equation. So often I have done the sums and thought about travel or more accurately living different lifestyles than the conventional that the  90% plus are brainwashed into living. Just spending £20,000 per year while working at stuff you like and probably thrive at would get you through 20-30 years of joyful life. There are even places within a few hours of the UK where £10, 000 is enough or even just having £250,000.

And then so many throw it all on a depressing looking property in the UK, one day people will realise what they wasted and weep

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, haroldshand said:

Imagine having £500,000 cash in your back pocket and lets say for now  totally take British housing out of the equation. So often I have done the sums and thought about travel or more accurately living different lifestyles than the conventional that the  90% plus are brainwashed into living. Just spending £20,000 per year while working at stuff you like and probably thrive at would get you through 20-30 years of joyful life. There are even places within a few hours of the UK where £10, 000 is enough or even just having £250,000.

And then so many throw it all on a depressing looking property in the UK, one day people will realise what they wasted and weep

That's absolutely fair but most people will never have £500k cash to be able to make that kind of choice.

Instead when they "buy" a house for £500k they are actually putting themselves into a long term contract with the mortgage lender which ties them into a contract with their employer for the next twenty years.

My choice was to retire early in Cornwall with lots of travel. Covid is currently crushing that; directly via lockdown and indirectly through the vast numbers coming down here this summer because they are barred from going abroad.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Instead when they "buy" a house for £500k they are actually putting themselves into a long term contract with the mortgage lender which ties them into a contract with their employer for the next twenty years.

Yes. I'm not too happy in my job at the moment. Probably need to change that before looking to buy a property.

I'll try and steer this a bit more on topic:

Housing market in Cornwall has gone completely crazy There was also a report on it on the news channel.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Yes. I'm not too happy in my job at the moment. Probably need to change that before looking to buy a property.

Housing market in Cornwall has gone completely crazy There was also a report on it on the news channel.

From the article

According to Rightmove, asking prices of properties in the county have increased by 11% over the past year from £302,880 to £318,852

And they say quality journalism is dead?

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Though not the best example of a priced out local:

Artist Dan Hollings, 25, has been trying to purchase his first property for two years since studying at Falmouth University.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Artist Dan Hollings, 25, has been trying to purchase his first property for two years since studying at Falmouth University.

Ha! I wonder how many paintings or whatever he's sold to raise a deposit? o.O

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not my taste, but as he has been picked up by Saatchi, his works could well be bitcoinish.

I wouldn't waste £5k on one though.

https://www.alvestonfineart.com/artists/dan-hollings/

Just now, UmBongo said:

Ha! I wonder how many paintings or whatever he's sold to raise a deposit? o.O

Two or three should do it.

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's absolutely fair but most people will never have £500k cash to be able to make that kind of choice.

My choice was to retire early in Cornwall with lots of travel. Covid is currently crushing that; directly via lockdown and indirectly through the vast numbers coming down here this summer because they are barred from going abroad.

Quite simple, with all the BS being reported- 

Will covid, with all tye lockdowns and changes make Joe Ukaverage -

Richer?

Or

Poorer?

By Juky tales 9f chains collapsing  etc, will be soon followed by tales of job loss and debt problems when furlough shutdown completely.

Seasiders are being hammered by daft people reading Sunday property features.

Once the hard reality of post covid and higher ir kick in, the dreaming stops.

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

He wont get close to half the sticker price.

People buying art don't haggle.

Odd. But they just don't.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

People buying art don't haggle.

Odd. But they just don't.

No, I mean itll go for sticker.

But the artists cut is going to be under 50%

All the wine n cheese n schmoozing to pay for.

Wight Flight
Just now, spygirl said:

No, I mean itll go for sticker.

But the artists cut is going to be under 50%

All the wine n cheese n schmoozing to pay for.

It's a provincial gallery. They will take 33%.

Surely he.s selling them online since covid rules. No cut.

I would pay that for one of those but the ones I like are sold.

Edited by BWW
eta lighthouse hill or foggy outside caught my attention.

Don Coglione
22 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

It's a provincial gallery. They will take 33%.

Hark at you, coming on here with your knowledge and experience and contradicting the all-knowing Spy...

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
Just now, Knickerless Turgid said:

Hark at you, coming on here with your knowledge and experience and contradicting the all-knowing Spy...

It kind of helps that I owned one for many years.

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

I know.

You are either a stalker or have a bloody good memory.

I hope the latter!

• Cheers 2

Don Coglione
5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You are either a stalker or have a bloody good memory.

I hope the latter!

I'm a crap swimmer, so you are safe.

You have mentioned your gallery on here a few times - Shalford, or nearby? I had concluded that it was the source of your numerous name-dropping opportunities.

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

I'm a crap swimmer, so you are safe.

You have mentioned your gallery on here a few times - Shalford, or nearby? I had concluded that it was the source of your numerous name-dropping opportunities.

Ah. Shalford was where Phil Collins' local was. Not my gallery.

My gallery, to my knowledge, never had anyone famous visit.