DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Just seen a really nice two bedder come on the market. Great location, parking for two cars, garden and pets allowed.

£380 per month.

Anyone spot the catch?

Is it a tent? 

Frank Hovis
30 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Weekly alerts are for amateurs.

You need an immediate alert. Snooze and lose.

They're not urgently looking and now would appear to be a bad time to buy so I haven't suggested changing it.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're not urgently looking and now would appear to be a bad time to buy so I haven't suggested changing it.

I suppose at least they will get to see what they could have bought.

Classic accountant mindset of seeing what happened rather than what could happen. :D

• Lol 1

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I suppose at least they will get to see what they could have bought.

Classic accountant mindset of seeing what happened rather than what could happen. :D

More not wanting to rock the boat.  My Dad doesn't want to move from where they are (doesn't want the hassle of moving again), my Mum didn't want to leave the previous (big) house in the first place and wants somewhere bigger though usually pretends that she's fine with it.

This way they might see something that they both like and then go for it.

Though with the present state of the market that's unlikely I admit but there isn't any rush.

Wight Flight

Wage Wars. It's started.

Baywatch on the Beach
Front of house assistant 18 +
£600pw
Customer service to a very high standard and excellent attitude is essential but experience is not as full training will be given.

https://www.facebook.com/BaywatchontheBeach/

£31k for an unexperienced waiter.

Owner is an arse though, so you will earn it.

• Informative 1

Wight Flight
35 minutes ago, eek said:

£600 for the peak tourist season and then you will be binned off. 

True. But for a summer student job?

Frank Hovis
On 30/05/2021 at 14:34, Frank Hovis said:

Two weeks on and it's getting noticeably worse.

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125 -> 112 -> 88 -> 75 -> 74 -> 63

Of which three bed or more: 63 -> 53 -> 36 -> 27 -> 30 -> 21

Of which £1,000 per month or less (ignoring house share): 19 -> 13 -> 6 -> 5 -> 5 -> 2

One of those two, in Bude, is now fully booked for viewings so that leaves your oprions as a family as one three bed rental for £1,000 per month or less in St Keverne.

It looks all right to me but then again it is Hobson's choice.

55288_000654909_IMG_00_0000.jpeg

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/107240066#/

And if anyone, like me, wondered where it is; it's way down on the Lizard with its dreadful roads which will be packed at this time of year.  A great place to live if you want rural quiet; but not if you want to get to work and your kids to get to school.

I would say that means effectively that if you are a working family with school aged kids in Cornwall looking for a rental then you are now officially stuffed.  This is wrecking people's lives.

image.png.52af6ea1941cf945d943fefdabbf9f5d.png

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^61294&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=1000&sortType=1&propertyTypes=&includeLetAgreed=false&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=

Check in time again; last was 30th May.

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125 -> 112 -> 88 -> 75 -> 74 -> 63 -> 73

Of which three bed or more: 63 -> 53 -> 36 -> 27 -> 30 -> 21 -> 17

Of which £1,000 per month or less (ignoring house share): 19 -> 13 -> 6 -> 5 -> 5 -> 2 -> 7

A bit of a respite from the bad news this time.  It is what it is.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^61294&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=1000&sortType=1&propertyTypes=&includeLetAgreed=false&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=

• Informative 1

Wight Flight

Looks like it isn't limited to coastal areas.

Seen a post from a friend desperate to find a three bedder in Woking, up to £2,300 pcm. Anything half decent is taken within 24 hours.

And don't forget you need an income of £69k to be accepted for that. Or a lot of cash.

WTF is going on?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
26 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Calling it ‘Baywatch on the beach’ does suggest you may have to do extras to earn your keep, like wear the red outfit..

Sadly not.

It is a shitty little beach bar selling overpriced food to the Fulham set.

Went once. Wouldn't return.

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Looks like it isn't limited to coastal areas.

Seen a post from a friend desperate to find a three bedder in Woking, up to £2,300 pcm. Anything half decent is taken within 24 hours.

And don't forget you need an income of £69k to be accepted for that. Or a lot of cash.

WTF is going on?

I'm also looking for a place to rent in the home counties atm, 2 beds are gone within 24 hours.

• Informative 2

Frank Hovis

The numbers don't sound nearly enough but it's good that the council is taking some action in advance of temporary / hotel accommodation being taken by tourists.

It's buying a hundred park homes for families and more container like cabins for single people that it has used fir the street homeless in Truro during the lockdown.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-council-announces-ambitious-plans-5556819

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The numbers don't sound nearly enough but it's good that the council is taking some action in advance of temporary / hotel accommodation being taken by tourists.

It's buying a hundred park homes for families and more container like cabins for single people that it has used fir the street homeless in Truro during the lockdown.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-council-announces-ambitious-plans-5556819

Landlords have the upper hand with the demand and lack of properties, they can evict the bothersome and easily find some new mugs to pay over the odds for some shithole that should be condemned.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/elderly-couple-evicted-nightmare-rental-5560291

Eventually the workers will be in those 'temporary' shanty towns while all the properties are let out on AirB&b and left empty out of tourist season.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Landlords have the upper hand with the demand and lack of properties, they can evict the bothersome and easily find some new mugs to pay over the odds for some shithole that should be condemned.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/elderly-couple-evicted-nightmare-rental-5560291

Eventually the workers will be in those 'temporary' shanty towns while all the properties are let out on AirB&b and left empty out of tourist season.

In that case I suspect the landlord is skint rather than devious.

A spokesperson for Bradleys said the landlord informed them he intends to live in the house, and that's why the notice was issued.

I've known two people with BtL houses rented out in Cornwall who were living in smaller properties than their tenants because they couldn't afford to live in the house that they "owned" as they needed the rental income to pay the mortgage.

One was in a rented flat and the other was in accommodation that came with his job as chef in an old people's home.

I didn't discuss it with them but I suspect that in each case it was their only way to ever afford a house: buy one and rent it out to pay the mortgage and then in twenty or twenty five years the mortgage is paid off and they can afford to live in it.

Neither was on good wages and if the tenant was demanding repairs that they couldn't afford then they would probably have also had to give them notice.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In that case I suspect the landlord is skint rather than devious.

With the current state of the market a canny landlord could find a tennant willing to front the repairs paid back through rent reductions, if despite the supposed abundance of cheap credit they couldn't get a loan through normal channels.

Do the place up and be able to charge more rent than it cost for the refurb.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
11 minutes ago, BoSon said:

With the current state of the market a canny landlord could find a tennant willing to front the repairs paid back through rent reductions, if despite the supposed abundance of cheap credit they couldn't get a loan through normal channels.

They could but I suspect many are like the people I know who aren't looking to do any more than end up owning their own house - the current rental.

These guys weren't really interested and only mentioned them when circumstances changed and they were forced to sell them.

One of them said he was "embarrassed" by the conditions in which his tenants had been living; he hadn't realised and they hadn't complained.  I expect that he hadn't increased the rent for years so they were vieiwng it as a cheap if not great rental.

I don't think he had visited it for years prior to selling it; it was the other end of the county (Cornwall).

These guys were genuinely skint; they were very much not the traditional image of a landlord.  One had a real struggle each year to get his old car through its MoT because he couldn't afford to replace it.

Wight Flight
20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

These guys were genuinely skint; they were very much not the traditional image of a landlord.  One had a real struggle each year to get his old car through its MoT because he couldn't afford to replace it.

Landlords are, in my experience, either skint or tight.

• Agree 1

On 11/06/2021 at 13:24, Wight Flight said:

Wage Wars. It's started.

https://www.facebook.com/BaywatchontheBeach/

£31k for an unexperienced waiter.

Owner is an arse though, so you will earn it.

Missed this.

Let me cast my cynical 'Cretin tourist business' eye

Does he mean 600w for 39h? I ask as hes neglected to include hours.

That works out at £15h, which isn't hugely above BMW, esp considering tgeperdon is fronting tge entire business *and* working in an area where employable people are few n far between.

Or does he mean 600w for split shifts and getting on for 60h. In which case the hourly is rapidly dropping below nmw.

Let's look at the bad reviews -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Restaurant_Review-g1537499-d1159702-Reviews-or10-Baywatch_On_The_Beach-St_Helens_Isle_of_Wight_England.html

Pretty consistent- the owner.

Hes burnt thru the very small pool of employees.

I spoke to a member of The waiting staff at this point and asked her how she dealt with all the wasps... she replied she been stung numerous times. I also then discovered that the toilets weren’t out of order, they too had been closed to be cleaned for the obviously far more discerning evening clientele.

It’s fair to say I was now fuming at this stage. I asked to see the manager to voice my concerns and a young, rather rotund chap came and spoke to me. I asked him why they weren’t/hadn’t done anything about the wasps.. he replied that they had tried last year and nothing had worked so basically they’d given up this year. He went on to say he’d talk to his pest control firm but he didn’t hold out much hope. I said to him that maybe he should contact legoland Windsor and ask them what they use because they have wasps traps set up there that obviously work. He didn’t seem very appreciative of the helpful advice. 

5 hours ago, BoSon said:

Not really.

If a LL was canny they'd know a tenant could sign up then stop paying tge rent. It'll be 18 months before you get the place back.

Any LL ramping up prices is going to rent non paying sitting tenants.