DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

On 05/08/2021 at 06:27, Frank Hovis said:

Protest against second homes; aiming to block roads into Cornwall.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/campaigners-talk-blockading-routes-cornwall-5742084

Problem is theres only a few areas blighted by FHL Airbnb- Cornwall, Devon, IOW, Norfolk, dales, lakes n Whitby area.

But where that blight exists its horrendous.

Frank Hovis
4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Problem is theres only a few areas blighted by FHL Airbnb- Cornwall, Devon, IOW, Norfolk, dales, lakes n Whitby area.

But where that blight exists its horrendous.

I assume that they also are finding out what happens when locals have nowhere to live that they can afford: hotels and similar cannot recruit low paid staff.

20 jobs in Cornwall that urgently need filling right now

The hospitality sector in particular continues to cry out for staff

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/20-jobs-cornwall-urgently-need-5745960

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I assume that they also are finding out what happens when locals have nowhere to live that they can afford: hotels and similar cannot recruit low paid staff.

20 jobs in Cornwall that urgently need filling right now

The hospitality sector in particular continues to cry out for staff

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/20-jobs-cornwall-urgently-need-5745960

Not just coast n hospitality - living/property costs fall directly on your labour costs.

There was a daft piece in ft the other day -

A pay rise will not fix broken workplace culture

Goldman, like other employers, will have to try harder to lure and retain new recruits

https://www.ft.com/content/0e417f88-602b-43b7-bed3-b6f721f694a9

Put aside that 90% of London law n finance stuff is useless hour padding for fees.

The point made in the comments - 

30 years ago when finance’s old guard laboured 100hrs+ per week the salary would allow them to become rich in a world where most of the finer things in life were expensive.

Now the same hours are offered for a much lower real salary in a world where most luxuries are cheap - save for housing - and now not even mid/senior ranking professionals can hope to buy a townhouse in a global city.

Combine this with trends toward smaller families later in life people see less value in toiling if they’re not deriving benefit from sharing it with loved ones. You can only buy yourself so many Gucci loafers. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Once theres no reward, theres no people chasing the jobs.

Coastal areas are now basically oaps n bennies.

Stuff like dentists is getting to be constant -

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/health/lack-of-dentists-forces-scarborough-practice-to-close-leaving-patients-struggling-to-find-care-3162160

Part is crap NHS contract.

Other is coastal areas are lacking people who work and pay for private treatment, allowing some NHS treatment.

Population is made up of pro doleys n oaps, neither are willing or able to pay for dentistry.

Healthcare provision is skimpy. Oaps are not going to fill their days in visiting Drs n hospital as there are not many - health is funded by number of FT residents.

Frank Hovis
46 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Now the same hours are offered for a much lower real salary in a world where most luxuries are cheap - save for housing - and now not even mid/senior ranking professionals can hope to buy a townhouse in a global city.

Funnily enough that's exactly what I thought about London house prices before I started working there.

I can have expensive clothes, flash car, fancy watch, five star holidays but I can't even get close to buying a house.

And then they crashed, and I ended up buying a flat despite not really wanting to do so because it was literally half the monthly outgoings of renting it.

When something is so out of kilter as current house prices there is usually a major corrective trundling down the road.

• Agree 3

Wight Flight
5 hours ago, spygirl said:

Once theres no reward, theres no people chasing the jobs.

Coastal areas are now basically oaps n bennies.

Stuff like dentists is getting to be constant -

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/health/lack-of-dentists-forces-scarborough-practice-to-close-leaving-patients-struggling-to-find-care-3162160

Part is crap NHS contract.

Other is coastal areas are lacking people who work and pay for private treatment, allowing some NHS treatment.

Population is made up of pro doleys n oaps, neither are willing or able to pay for dentistry.

Healthcare provision is skimpy. Oaps are not going to fill their days in visiting Drs n hospital as there are not many - health is funded by number of FT residents.

We only have private dentists down here. It is a massive cause of unrest amongst the minimum wage bunch.

There was meant to be a mini festival tomorrow. Cancelled. All bands were ready, tickets sold out but they just couldn't get the security staff to meet H&S regulations so have had no choice but to call the whole thing off.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Frank Hovis
22 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Where do you eat?

You eat in the "kitchen diner".

Standing up.

That is tiny.  The bedrooms looked small even with no furniture in them; I mistook one for the hallway.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight

All Boots shops here are now closed at the weekend due to a shortage of pharmacists.

Oddly, it is the pensioners that are moaning.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

7 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

We only have private dentists down here. It is a massive cause of unrest amongst the minimum wage bunch.

There was meant to be a mini festival tomorrow. Cancelled. All bands were ready, tickets sold out but they just couldn't get the security staff to meet H&S regulations so have had no choice but to call the whole thing off.

Scarb district has a comedy unemployment rate - under 4%.

Yet about half the working age dont wort FT, at least nit officially.

If you set up a company and tried to take on, say, 5-10 staff, youd be banging your head against a brick wall.

• Informative 1

Wight Flight

From figures I saw today, 78% of all properties sold in the last year were bought by immigrants.

That might explain the problem.

• Informative 2

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

From figures I saw today, 78% of all properties sold in the last year were bought by immigrants.

That might explain the problem.

UK or IOW ... need to ask ...

If its the IOW, the novelty of paying ££££ to get the boat to West Quay will soon wear off.

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

UK or IOW ... need to ask ...

If its the IOW, the novelty of paying ££££ to get the boat to West Quay will soon wear off.

IOW.

Wight Flight
15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Winter. Stuck on the island, ferry broken down, living off £5 pot noodles from the corner shop.

Better than being stuck on the mainland.

I haven't yet found a reason to leave the Island, and doubt I will for many years.

• Lol 1

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Better than being stuck on the mainland.

I haven't yet found a reason to leave the Island, and doubt I will for many years.

Yeahbut .... 90% of the UK pop are happy shoppers esp, the over 60s London type moving to IOW.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Yeahbut .... 90% of the UK pop are happy shoppers esp, the over 60s London type moving to IOW.

You are aware that we do have shops here?

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

You are aware that we do have shops here?

But not enough big and shiny shops.

Those are local shop,s for local peoples.

Most OAPs want to walk round n round at the likes of JL, etc looking at stuff, filling in their days.

Again, you are obs not a happy shopper.

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

But not enough big and shiny shops.

Those are local shop,s for local peoples.

Most OAPs want to walk round n round at the likes of JL, etc looking at stuff, filling in their days.

Again, you are obs not a happy shopper.

You haven't actually been here, have you?

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

You haven't actually been here, have you?

Whereas I have been there twice.

The last time was in 1981.

From what I read it hasn't chnaged.

Which is a good thing.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, King Penda said:

I was 15/16 good cider sold by the gallon 

I disapprove of cider drinking.

Its tramp juice.

Cant work out if its I'm northern.

Or, after working with someone from the other Bradford, I was invited to a sess at his local cider house.

What I was e expecting was busrty, easy 19yo girlies.

What I got was a a trampy-one warmed dossery-farmerly hell hold. No girlies. In fact, noone with a full set of teeth. 

19 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Why are houses so bloody small?

I assume this is meant to be a family house?

Where do you eat?

Where do you do the laundry?

Where do you store anything?

WTF is the point of the 'terrace' thingy?

What a pile of shite.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/111532736#/?channel=RES_LET

Christ on a fucking bike. 850 for that. Imagine having 2 kids in that. 

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I disapprove of cider drinking.

I remember seeing a tv show once where a bloke said if you drank cider long enough you would always shit yourself.

• Lol 1