DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

sleepwello'nights
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

A caravan here is now up for £700 per month.

Same as a 3 bed house two years ago.

My remark was half in jest. There are a fair few who live in caravans I understand and van living is fairly common.

In all seriousness it is a shameful problem that I can't see improving soon.

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I also think that such places are highly vulnerable to break-ins

Anything I've looked at in rural Scotland looks proper Fort Knocks. 

It's very noticeable here that a lot of second homes or holiday let's have a very visable camera deterant. 

I think there's a general change in society tho where the idea of a home security camera system is becoming increasingly normal. I've never bothered personally but I might think about it in the future if only because I enjoy fiddling with tech and commications. 

• Agree 1

sleepwello'nights
17 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Anything I've looked at in rural Scotland looks proper Fort Knocks. 

It's very noticeable here that a lot of second homes or holiday let's have a very visable camera deterant. 

I think there's a general change in society tho where the idea of a home security camera system is becoming increasingly normal. I've never bothered personally but I might think about it in the future if only because I enjoy fiddling with tech and commications. 

We had one in our last house. I brought it with us but haven't set it up. Problem is if you're away and your house is being broken into what can you do?

Better not to know and spoil your holiday.

With a crooked smile
2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Problem is if you're away and your house is being broken into what can you do?

I imagine the police response is just do you want a crime ref for your insurance claim. 

• Agree 3

Wight Flight
On 06/06/2021 at 18:45, sleepwello'nights said:

My remark was half in jest. There are a fair few who live in caravans I understand and van living is fairly common.

In all seriousness it is a shameful problem that I can't see improving soon.

To be fair that was a static one.

I have been looking at traditional caravans today as a back up plan.

Seems you can get a decent one for about £8k.

I could park it inside my warehouse so would be truly stealth, and a reasonable way to sit out this madness.

Would that make me a pikey?

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

One percent

Oh dear.  I think we could have easily predicted this.  I guess all those tourists will need to either cook for themselves or fuckoff. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57403083

Hotel worker Jon Phillips has given up trying to rent a home near his job in Cornwall and is now living on his boat.

"My landlord said: 'Look Jon, you're paying me £800 a month for this one bedroom apartment, and I've just found out that I can be charging people on holiday £1,200 a week.'"

He is one of many hospitality workers in British tourist hotspots who are finding accommodation scarce.

This is as landlords want to cash in on the UK holiday boom.

Jon is the front of house manager for Red Hotels, which includes the Scarlet Hotel and the Bedruthan Hotel in Mawgan Porth, along the coast from Newquay.

He moved to Cornwall to take up his job in October 2020, and, after staying in staff accommodation, in January began renting a one-bedroom flat in Newquay for £800 a month.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis

Those hotels charge an absolute fortune so if all he could afford was a rented one bed flat then he is being paid a pittance.

More wage inflation pressure.

Good.

I can't think where he would be living on his boat near there though; the north coast is more small harbours than marinas.

Bude would be the nearest place that comes to mind and that's a chunky commute.

• Agree 2

One percent
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Those hotels charge an absolute fortune so if all he could afford was a rented one bed flat then he is being paid a pittance.

More wage inflation pressure.

Good.

I can't think where he would be living on his boat near there though; the north coast is more small harbours than marinas.

Bude would be the nearest place that comes to mind and that's a chunky commute.

Wage depression for many years plus house prices to the moon, plus importing massive amounts of people seems like a recipe for disaster. Who would have thunk it?  

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Wage depression for many years plus house prices to the moon, plus importing massive amounts of people seems like a recipe for disaster. Who would have thunk it?  

Add social housing being taken primarily by those who don't work and low paid workers are left with boats, vans and tents and no prospect of ever moving up from those.

Why would you?

• Agree 6

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

Oh dear.  I think we could have easily predicted this.  I guess all those tourists will need to either cook for themselves or fuckoff. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57403083

Hotel worker Jon Phillips has given up trying to rent a home near his job in Cornwall and is now living on his boat.

"My landlord said: 'Look Jon, you're paying me £800 a month for this one bedroom apartment, and I've just found out that I can be charging people on holiday £1,200 a week.'"

He is one of many hospitality workers in British tourist hotspots who are finding accommodation scarce.

This is as landlords want to cash in on the UK holiday boom.

Jon is the front of house manager for Red Hotels, which includes the Scarlet Hotel and the Bedruthan Hotel in Mawgan Porth, along the coast from Newquay.

He moved to Cornwall to take up his job in October 2020, and, after staying in staff accommodation, in January began renting a one-bedroom flat in Newquay for £800 a month.

Simple - Dont move to Cornwall unless they pay you enough to live there.

Im not sure why he moved out of staff accommodation.

He just needs to leave his job and go back.

• Agree 1

One percent
Just now, spygirl said:

Have you seen the staff accommodation at the royal?  O.o

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Have you seen the staff accommodation at the royal?  O.o

NO. But I can guess.

Again. Pay needs to meet local housing costs.

Bets way for this bloke is to walk out on when they are the busiest. Fuckem.

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

It doesn't really matter how much they pay you if there is nowhere available to rent at any price.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

It doesn't really matter how much they pay you if there is nowhere available to rent at any price.

Then stay away until there is.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

An elegant solution.

I grew up with similar.

The leisure sector sector has always attracted idiots, both employees and employer.

Ive spent my life listening to gormless  business plans, well, more like moonbeam business.

Lets retire/sell house/move to xxxx.

We can run a Bnb/Hotel/Burger bar/Pub

We do it for 10years/2 years/in retirement

Then we can sell up and retire/sellup for ££££££/buy another.

One thing you notice is how few people make any money.

Making a small fortune in tourism is very much starting out with a bigger one.

• Agree 3

On 06/06/2021 at 20:19, With a crooked smile said:

I imagine the police response is just do you want a crime ref for your insurance claim. 

A friend bought a place as a holiday home with a view to moving there permenant in a few years time, one of the conditions for her insurance was that as it wasn't occupied full time, it must be visited / checked (lived in for 1 night?) at least once a month. Not a big problem as friends & family were often using it during the summer but a 500 mile round trip in winter to spend the night in an empty house was a chore :( 

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Andersen said:

A friend bought a place as a holiday home with a view to moving there permenant in a few years time, one of the conditions for her insurance was that as it wasn't occupied full time, it must be visited / checked (lived in for 1 night?) at least once a month. Not a big problem as friends & family were often using it during the summer but a 500 mile round trip in winter to spend the night in an empty house was a chore :( 

Why not just employ a local?

On 06/06/2021 at 12:40, Frank Hovis said:

I haven't been tracking individual rentals but my search band price limit of £1k for a three bed house would have rented you a nice house in a seaside town two years ago with reasonable houses in the same towns going for £700.

Now pretty much every three bed, even in the grottiest parts of inland towns, is over a thousand a month.

That's what I call inflation - 40%+ in two years.

And most local people on the local low wages simply cannot afford a thousand a month rent.  So where does that leave them?

probably wont surprise you that at this  level of supply and demand a lot does not get to rm. talking to someone this week who got a cornwall rental this year due to ea being a customer/fan of his work. low rent too. probably owned by someone who pays no attention to the market and lets thr pros sort it. sure most rentals are transacted without advertising in this type of market.

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
11 minutes ago, BWW said:

probably wont surprise you that at this  level of supply and demand a lot does not get to rm. talking to someone this week who got a cornwall rental this year due to ea being a customer/fan of his work. low rent too. probably owned by someone who pays no attention to the market and lets thr pros sort it. sure most rentals are transacted without advertising in this type of market.

Agreed. All the agents have lists. Why would they have the grief of sticking it on rightmove and getting 100 oiks jam their phone lines for the morning when they can just let it to their known, preferred tenant.

Wight Flight

Just seen a really nice two bedder come on the market. Great location, parking for two cars, garden and pets allowed.

£380 per month.

Anyone spot the catch?

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, BWW said:

Absolutely so.

However the person, like the front of house hotel manager in the linked story above, are only going to have access to publicly listed rentals so for him and most others looking RightMove is their main source.

As a btw house sales are flying through.  My parents, having downsized, have realised that they went too small and now want something bigger in the same area.  I set up a weekly alert and they have seen very few properties coming to market.  They noticed one for sale that hadn't come into their weekly alert so looked it up and it had gone SSTC within the same week of listing so didn't appear in their alert.

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely so.

However the person, like the front of house hotel manager in the linked story above, are only going to have access to publicly listed rentals so for him and most others looking RightMove is their main source.

As a btw house sales are flying through.  My parents, having downsized, have realised that they went too small and now want something bigger in the same area.  I set up a weekly alert and they have seen very few properties coming to market.  They noticed one for sale that hadn't come into their weekly alert so looked it up and it had gone SSTC within the same week of listing so didn't appear in their alert.

Weekly alerts are for amateurs.

You need an immediate alert. Snooze and lose.