DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Update on our available rentals.

We have:

1 x studio flat

3 x 1 bed flats

3 x two bed flats

1 x 2 bed terrace.

That is it.

Is that at any price or sub £1,000 per month?

If the former then a strong word than "crisis" is required.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is that at any price or sub £1,000 per month?

If the former then a strong word than "crisis" is required.

That is at any price. (And one of them is for older people only)

We are at the stage that for every person that moves over, one has to leave or become homeless. There is no other possibility.

Facebook is full of homeless families. Really very sad.

• Agree 4

Frank Hovis
Just now, Wight Flight said:

That is at any price. (And one of them is for older people only)

We are at the stage that for every person that moves over, one has to leave or become homeless. There is no other possibility.

Facebook is full of homeless families. Really very sad.

Wow.

That is hundreds of personal catastrophes right there.

The council needs to step in now; I would suggest looking up your councillor and MP and firing off emails pointing this out as they cannot be aware that it has become that bad or they would be shouting about it.

Cornwall Council has recognised it but then with quite unbelievable arrogance the "cabinet" has kicked it six months down the road so that they can have a few relaxed chats about it.

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Wow.

That is hundreds of personal catastrophes right there.

The council needs to step in now; I would suggest looking up your councillor and MP and firing off emails pointing this out as they cannot be aware that it has become that bad or they would be shouting about it.

Cornwall Council has recognised it but then with quite unbelievable arrogance the "cabinet" has kicked it six months down the road so that they can have a few relaxed chats about it.

I think they are aware, but are too busy blocking planning applications to do anything about it.

Sadly nobody really cares apart from those personally affected.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis

Check in time again; last was 3rd July.

Total rentals in all of Cornwall: 125 -> 112 -> 88 -> 75 -> 74 -> 63 -> 73 -> 55 -> 77

Of which three bed or more: 63 -> 53 -> 36 -> 27 -> 30 -> 21 -> 17 -> 16 -> 29

Of which £1,000 per month or less (ignoring fully booked for viewings): 19 -> 13 -> 6 -> 5 -> 5 -> 2 -> 7 -> 4 -> 14

Well I really wasn't expecting this for high summer but it's suddenly improved and the popular three bed sub thousand aren't now saying "viewings fully booked" bar one.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^61294&sortType=1&propertyTypes=&includeLetAgreed=false&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=

Edited by Frank Hovis
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
3 hours ago, JFK said:

oh dear what a shame

It is.

I did a coastal walk today. Out of 50 homes, no more than 7 or 8 were occupied.

It won't end well.

Shame they made squatting illegal. I think I could get away with it for months before anyone noticed.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

It is.

I did a coastal walk today. Out of 50 homes, no more than 7 or 8 were occupied.

It won't end well.

Shame they made squatting illegal. I think I could get away with it for months before anyone noticed.

Just find one that is not on the Land Registry, set up a Ltd Company and register it in the Company Name then evict the owner.

Mother in laws house was built in 1960 and never registered as they didn't have a mortgage so we just registered it in our name once her dad died.

Frank Hovis

Well the madness continues.

I have previously posted this in Padstow up for £430k

1_Padstow-home.jpg

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/padstow-home-narrower-london-bus-5477247

Well it has just been made to look an absolute steal by this terraced house in Mousehole (round the corner from Penzance / Newlyn).

£685k

0_700k-house.png

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/property/tiny-two-bedroom-terraced-house-5682195

Compact and bijou.  Downstairs you have a hall / lounge / dining room / kitchen.

709449f7f11ecbea4a6a7b7ece5265377d7162d8

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59171695/

This would originally have been somewhere that the very poorest fisherman lived because it was the cheapest house going.

£685k.

• Informative 4
  • Lol 2

Wight Flight
On 18/07/2021 at 09:56, Frank Hovis said:

They know.

The Island’s MP has called on members of the Isle of Wight Council to reject plans to build 473 houses on farmland at Westridge Dairy Farm in Ryde – the East Wight’s last remaining viable dairy farm.

much of Ryde’s housing allocation had already been met through outline or full approval meaning these additional houses were not needed. 

https://www.bobseely.org.uk/news/mp-calls-council-reject-westridge-farm-plans

Noallegiance
On 25/07/2021 at 13:07, Frank Hovis said:

Well the madness continues.

I have previously posted this in Padstow up for £430k

1_Padstow-home.jpg

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/padstow-home-narrower-london-bus-5477247

Well it has just been made to look an absolute steal by this terraced house in Mousehole (round the corner from Penzance / Newlyn).

£685k

0_700k-house.png

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/property/tiny-two-bedroom-terraced-house-5682195

Compact and bijou.  Downstairs you have a hall / lounge / dining room / kitchen.

709449f7f11ecbea4a6a7b7ece5265377d7162d8

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59171695/

This would originally have been somewhere that the very poorest fisherman lived because it was the cheapest house going.

£685k.

I have no words.

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Given that the conditions on approval are spend £2.2m on required infrastructure and remember to sort out the road links it's basically recommended for approval.

I would be interested to see the verdict as there is nothing on my quick glance of the report that says valid reasons for rejection when this goes to appeal.

• Informative 1

AlfredTheLittle

I've been looking at rentals recently around Redcar, County Durham, and Cambridgeshire areas. It's the same story everywhere, estate agents say they've never known anything like it - anything that goes up gets a dozen or more serious enquiries instantly. Not just IoW and Cornwall, though they are at the extreme end, expect to see a huge nationwide homelessness crisis very soon (easily sorted if they start to tax second and holiday homes properly, but that seems unlikely)

22 hours ago, eek said:

Given that the conditions on approval are spend £2.2m on required infrastructure and remember to sort out the road links it's basically recommended for approval.

I would be interested to see the verdict as there is nothing on my quick glance of the report that says valid reasons for rejection when this goes to appeal.

And 473 houses have been Approved see https://www.islandecho.co.uk/west-acre-park-development-given-the-green-light-473-new-homes-set-for-ryde/

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

It's going to kick off on social media in 3..2..1..

Yep but it's worth reading the article - as it is (to me) the old story of the planner in committee going - sorry that's not a planning consideration as the councillors try to find an justifiable reason to stop the application going ahead.

As for Bob Seely - the reason the application got permission is because of the planning rules your party created... 

Edited by eek

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, eek said:

Yep but it's worth reading the article - as it is (to me) the old story of the planner in committee going - sorry that's not a planning consideration as the councillors try to find a sane reason to stop the application going ahead.

As for Bob Seely - the reason the application got permission is because of the planning rules your party created... 

Oi. I don't have a party!

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/housing-crisis-cornwall-ex-council-5707210

Housing crisis in Cornwall: ex-council house owners breaking rules by renting on Airbnb

There are said to be dozens who took advantage of the Right to Buy scheme now flouting the rules in one Cornish town alone

It was revealed in June that Cornwall had more than 10,290 active Airbnb listings and, in comparison, there were only 69 rental properties available on property website Rightmove.

Council turning a blind eye blaming it on covid resources. I wonder how many, like MPs, are landlords not going to vote themselves out of the easy money.

Meanwhile the locals rent out their homes thinking it's short term easy gains then years later have mental health issues from living in cheaper slavebox 'temporary' accommodation realising money isn't the be-all. Muppets. xD

Won't be long before they paint their 'temporary' rabbit hutch boxes to look like beach huts then rent them out too while moving into one of the council funded gypo camps the gypos aren't using, instead prefering wild camping near the beach like all the surfers do that the council also largely ignores.

i.e. councils behind the problems by not using the powers they have, and trying to blame some of the problem on hancuffing from central government. Greed or corruption the result is the same, locals priced out and businesses crying over lack of staff.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, BoSon said:

and trying to blame some of the problem on hancuffing from central government.

Tbf Cornwall Council did earlier this year request to be able to charge second homes at 150% of council tax as is now in place in Wales but a government flunkey dismissed it.

I've never been one for Cornish independence however an increased form of devolution approaching that which Wales has would give a lot more control over housing matters - planning, second homes, holiday lets - to Cornwall which would mean that housing policy was more tailored for residents rather than wealthy MPs who want somewhere to keep their buckets and spades.

• Agree 1