DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Tbf Cornwall Council did earlier this year request to be able to charge second homes at 150% of council tax as is now in place in Wales but a government flunkey dismissed it.

I've never been one for Cornish independence however an increased form of devolution approaching that which Wales has would give a lot more control over housing matters - planning, second homes, holiday lets - to Cornwall which would mean that housing policy was more tailored for residents rather than wealthy MPs who want somewhere to keep their buckets and spades.

Yep, the tourist places of the UK need different rules to cope with the issues such as lack of staff housing, lack of work out of season, infrastructure load during season, and probably many other issues only those experiencing it are that aware of.

Fund it from taxing the tourist accommodation (inc any private housing being let out on terms less than the normal 6 month agreement, to catch airb&b and the like) and build enough inland properties for the permanent residents staffing the tourist industry with rules on their uses, the opposite of how some properties are for holiday use only.

• Agree 3

(from a Commercial & small scale / "accidental LL" forum): Tenant demand hits five year high! (except central Londonistan) https://www.propertytribes.com/tenant-demand-hits-five-year-high-t-127653197.html

The few comments are eye-opening: new adverts being removed after 2 days due to number of prospective tennants responding, tennants polled want tennancies longer than the current max 12 months for security in an unstable market, rents up at £900 from £750 2 years ago (20%), rents are up near 100% compared to 5 years ago, future is bleak as supply is cut & prices rise (new legislation making it uneconomical to bring older built homes up to modern insulation standards so LLs sells, increasing legislation burden / taxation / costs causing remaining LL's to sell up or increase costs to tennants).

The future's not looking good - unless you want to buy and have cash for one of the ex-rentals, or can pass credit checks to get a mortgage in these uncertain times when banks are tightening lending :(

Edited by Andersen
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Andersen said:

(from a Commercial & small scale / "accidental LL" forum): Tenant demand hits five year high! (except central Londonistan) https://www.propertytribes.com/tenant-demand-hits-five-year-high-t-127653197.html

The few comments are eye-opening: new adverts being removed after 2 days due to number of prospective tennants responding, tennants polled want tennancies longer than the current max 12 months for security in an unstable market, rents up at £900 from £750 2 years ago (20%), rents are up near 100% compared to 5 years ago, future is bleak as supply is cut & prices rise (new legislation making it uneconomical to bring older built homes up to modern insulation standards so LLs sells, increasing legislation burden / taxation / costs causing remaining LL's to sell up or increase costs to tennants).

The future's not looking good - unless you want to buy and have cash for one of the ex-rentals, or can pass credit checks to get a mortgage in these uncertain times when banks are tightening lending :(

Id guess its short term turmoil, caused by sitting tenants err sitting.

My guess is when furlough is lifted - and it is, this time - then itll be a wjole new market.

Frank Hovis
On 31/07/2021 at 10:48, Wight Flight said:

We now have just five properties available to rent.

It is destroying people.

Can't you have some in yours?

<joke>

Fowey...

I was even told that only one home with a view of the water is owned by a local.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/housing-crisis-cornwall-fowey-tourist-5720347

Fowey...

Angry Fowey residents 'graffiti' £1.75m sale sign in housing crisis protest

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/angry-fowey-residents-graffiti-175m-5716919

Wight Flight
49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Can't you have some in yours?

<joke>

Fowey...

I was even told that only one home with a view of the water is owned by a local.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/housing-crisis-cornwall-fowey-tourist-5720347

Fowey...

Angry Fowey residents 'graffiti' £1.75m sale sign in housing crisis protest

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/angry-fowey-residents-graffiti-175m-5716919

There was a story in the week about someone that bought an ex fisherman's cottage down your way and renamed it 'Hollibobs'.

I don't think it went down well with the locals. I just hope their insurance is comprehensive.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

There was a story in the week about someone that bought an ex fisherman's cottage down your way and renamed it 'Hollibobs'.

I don't think it went down well with the locals. I just hope their insurance is comprehensive.

I think that it's being quietly tolerated at the moment because living in a seaside town generally gives you a happy relaxed disposition and it is these people that are being pushed out.

If there were second homes being bought up in, say, the Stonehouse area of Plymouth then they would find their windows smashed and their cars torched because it's a slum and the abode of violent criminals (as well as nice people of course, it's not an open prison).

Somebody who has grown up by the sea, summer swimming, sunbathing, messing about on the beach is going to be disappointed rather than angry when they are priced out.

There might possibly be a flashpoint in the bigger seaside towns like Penzance or Falmouth which both have big rough council estates IMO.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight

There was a thread on Facebook yesterday where a teacher and his family were desperate for a two bed property.

Got sidetracked by a landlord saying that as all renters were scum, he had given up and only does holiday lets.

Two more landlords joined in, agreeing there was more money renting for three months, and leaving them empty for the rest of the year.

Between them they had 28 properties.

This is the problem.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/48289710?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&check_in=2021-09-25&check_out=2021-10-02&translate_ugc=false&source_impression_id=p3_1627839302_59Kieo7cYbBNkym2

That one is near me, has a very similar view, but is only 1 bed.

Yet it will rent for three times mine, and is booked out through September.

Edited by Wight Flight
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There was a thread on Facebook yesterday where a teacher and his family were desperate for a two bed property.

Got sidetracked by a landlord saying that as all renters were scum, he had given up and only does holiday lets.

Two more landlords joined in, agreeing there was more money renting for three months, and leaving them empty for the rest of the year.

Between them they had 28 properties.

This is the problem.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/48289710?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&check_in=2021-09-25&check_out=2021-10-02&translate_ugc=false&source_impression_id=p3_1627839302_59Kieo7cYbBNkym2

That one is near me, has a very similar view, but is only 1 bed.

Yet it will rent for three times mine, and is booked out through September.

Removal of small business rate relief sorts it.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

I doubt it. It would also fuck over proper small business.

Tax on assumed 40 weeks rental income might.

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Actually, I think we have got to the stage where there needs to be an entirely new set of usage classifications for housing.

H1 for permanent homes, H2 for 2nd homes and H3 for holiday lets.

With it being very difficult to change status from H1 if there is a housing crisis in the area.

It works for business premises. It could work for housing.

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Actually, I think we have got to the stage where there needs to be an entirely new set of usage classifications for housing.

With it being very difficult to change status from H1 if there is a housing crisis in the area.

Not enough - a national park discovered last week that post covid all their S106 (local occupancy)  agreements are useless now most people can work from home most of the time.

Edited by eek

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

I doubt it. It would also fuck over proper small business.

Tax on assumed 40 weeks rental income might.

All FHL are recorded as such.

Just remove SBRR from FHL.

Sorted.

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

FJL are already classified as a thing - look at the rate register.

There is this glitch where they swap between 2nd home and FHL, to avoid even more tax.

HMRC were reviewing  this before covid.

The problem was caused by Gidiots fiddling with SBRR allowances, which dragged in FHLs.

Cornwall permie residents need to get out and protest enough that there's real change rather than empty rhetoric and false promises from councils and government.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/news-opinion/much-tourism-kill-cornwall-nothing-5718634

Too much tourism will kill Cornwall if nothing changes - opinion

In a time where houses are being sold for Airbnbs, hospitals are at breaking point and local people can't afford to live in the place they've called home - something needs to change

Otherwise this is the new reality for many pushed out of unaffordable traditional properties into 'temp' accommodation:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/first-look-inside-cornwall-councils-5715330

First look inside Cornwall Council's new 'Bunkabin' units for the homeless in car park unveiled

Wonder how much they cost for the garden when rellies visit. "You're in the shed this crimbo." xD

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
3 hours ago, BoSon said:

Otherwise this is the new reality for many pushed out of unaffordable traditional properties into 'temp' accommodation:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/first-look-inside-cornwall-councils-5715330

I wonder what type of homeless it will be put up in those given that they are on the car park of the main council offices.

It will certainly bring the problems home to the council executives if they find their cars being vandalised and aggressive beggars accosting the staff; especially lone womne working late.

I wouldn't be happy about it if I still worked there.

3 hours ago, BoSon said:

Cornwall permie residents need to get out and protest enough that there's real change rather than empty rhetoric and false promises from councils and government.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/news-opinion/much-tourism-kill-cornwall-nothing-5718634

Wonder how much they cost for the garden when rellies visit. "You're in the shed this crimbo." xD

My premise for this thread is that the UK tourism we have -bar London city visits - is economically damaging for the local areas.

In ye olde years people plunked in a BnB/hotel for 1/2 week and were relived of their cash.

Now, must is day based car trips or Holiday lets in resi buildings.

A resi house pulls in ctax plus ~7k/head in UKGOV funding.

A holiday lets pays low to no tax (SBRR) and attracts no funding, so deprives the local re of ~20k of cash.

Car based day trippers - fucking nuisance - block the place up, litter, massive costs, spend on bag of chips.

Don Coglione
15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wonder what type of homeless it will be put up in those given that they are on the car park of the main council offices.

It will certainly bring the problems home to the council executives if they find their cars being vandalised and aggressive beggars accosting the staff; especially lone womne working late.

Working late - at the council?!

• Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, Don Coglione said:

Working late - at the council?!

It was an odd mix. 

There were of course the shirkers and skivers who would not have been tolerated in any normal organisation but then there were some really hard working teams and indiviudals.

Most of the waste of resources came from the idiot decisions of the council executive rather than from the decent sized proportion of lazy staff.

35 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're for the council workers wanting to work from home. xD

23 minutes ago, spygirl said:

My premise for this thread is that the UK tourism we have -bar London city visits - is economically damaging for the local areas.

In ye olde years people plunked in a BnB/hotel for 1/2 week and were relived of their cash.

Now, must is day based car trips or Holiday lets in resi buildings.

A resi house pulls in ctax plus ~7k/head in UKGOV funding.

A holiday lets pays low to no tax (SBRR) and attracts no funding, so deprives the local re of ~20k of cash.

Car based day trippers - fucking nuisance - block the place up, litter, massive costs, spend on bag of chips.

Plenty of the old style tourists staying in proper hotels and b&bs, it's just all the private residential being exploited for short term gain and various tax blindspots or loopholes attracting them like with BTL.

Clampdown on the excesses of using residential for short term holiday lets and it'll go back to ways of old with a more manageable tourist level. Though a few shabby hotels have already been knocked down to be replaced with apartment blocks in Newquay as fewer older people want to do the coach trip to the seaside for a week. All the temp campsites over this summer to deal with unusual levels of staycations soon finding out the british weather is the main reason people went abroad in the first place, tents being blown to bits in muddy fields, normally scenes for Glasto when it's not cancelled. but a bit of a tough mudder busman's holiday for the rest. A euro a pint in benidorm never tasted so good. xD

• Agree 2

Wight Flight

Interesting situation today.

A landlord's house has been flooded, so he needs to find his tenant somewhere to live for three months.

He will probably have to put them in an airbnb as there is nothing else. 

I hope he has insurance to cover that as it is going to set him back at least £20k as other owners gouge him.

• Lol 3

The Whitby guest house forced out of business by Airbnb ‘racket’ – Andrew Vine

I DISCOVERED at the weekend that the Whitby guest house where I have spent many a happy break, both winter and summer, is no more.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/the-whitby-guest-house-forced-out-of-business-by-airbnb-racket-andrew-vine-3331683

When I phoned to ask about booking a few days after the schools go back next month, its owners told me that they have, regretfully, taken the decision to close and move on.

The pandemic is partly to blame, preventing too many other regulars besides myself from staying for the best part of 18 months, but there is another factor – an explosion in the number of second homes being rented out on Airbnb

The upshot is a couple who have worked hard to build up a business, paid the rates and taxes required of them, and provided an exemplary level of customer service that kept guests returning year after year have felt no option but to give up.

Meanwhile, the income that provided their living is going instead into the back pockets of people wealthy enough to own properties where they don’t actually live, and I’d bet my own house that the bulk of it is never declared to the taxman.

It is nothing short of scandalous that legitimate businesses like this guest house are going under because what amounts to an underground economy is hollowing out their livelihoods.

And it is part of the seriously damaging effect that the proliferation of second homes is having on our region, especially in North Yorkshire.

Communities along with livelihoods are being hollowed out by properties that stand empty for months in every year – or are being used to cash in on the staycation boom that restrictions on foreign travel has sparked.

They aggravate a shortage of housing in rural areas, especially properties affordable for the young who have no option but to move away in order to find somewhere to live. This is draining the vitality of too many places, as well as making it even harder for owners of legitimate holiday accommodation to make a living.

North and East Yorkshire businesses that rely on tourism, especially at the coast, have taken an almighty hammering because of Covid. Besides my favourite Whitby guest house, I know others in Scarborough and Bridlington which have hung on by the skin of their teeth as their income collapsed because of lockdowns and bans on staying overnight

Against such a backdrop, it is intolerable that they should face unfair competition from Airbnb properties undercutting prices and mostly contributing nothing to the Exchequer that has provided support for small businesses.

If this continues unchecked, it could create a crisis for many Yorkshire tourism businesses – especially small independents like guest houses run by couples – as well as rural towns and villages.

We need only look to the south of the country to see what could all too easily happen here. Last week, the local authority in Salcombe, in Devon, announced that it was considering banning the sale of properties as second homes because the town is running perilously short of places for local people to live.

And more than a quarter of properties in Cornwall are now second homes, creating such pressure on the stock of housing that junior doctors being recruited to work at local hospitals cannot find accommodation to rent within 30 miles. Things have become so bad, with NHS staff resorting to living in caravans because there is nowhere else for them to go, that the Bishop of Truro spoke out last month on the devastating effect second-home ownership is having on communities.

It is unthinkable that North Yorkshire should go the same way, but a cursory glance at Airbnb shows a proliferation of properties on offer. That means increased competition for hotels and guest houses and these properties being unavailable as homes for the people who we rely on to run our hospitals, care homes or schools.

We can’t just drift into allowing this to continue. Last month, the North Yorkshire Rural Commission called for powers to levy a charge on second homes as part of its wide-ranging report. That needs to happen, for the sake of towns and villages where the young cannot afford to live, but action by the regional authorities is not enough.

It is time for a crackdown on the whole Airbnb phenomenon which is a licence to print untaxed money for second-home owners. The Government needs to give the Inland Revenue the means to track down the owners of rental properties and ensure they are paying tax and business rates on what they are earning. That may convince many to think again about undercutting people whose livelihoods depend on visitors, and instead of turning a profit by exploiting the holiday market, make properties available for those who need somewhere to live.

Doenst quite nail its. Its not just AirBNB, its FHLs,

The jist is there - holiday lets need to pay rates.

• Informative 1

One percent
16 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I think that direct action is now the only way of returning this country to a green and pleasant land.

The ballot box has failed!

Yes.  We have been sold down the river by our quisling leaders. Rope and lampposts.