Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)


Frank Hovis
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hancock
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know the area but it does look very nice and whilst it has a £4k annual charge I regularly see £6k annual charge for static caravans on sites.

Shows the levels the land price is rigged in the UK when caravans and other forms of static chalets have to put such ludicrous sums to stay in a windswept field, in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Hancock
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Democorruptcy

RM has 4 properties to let on Anglesey population 70,000

Massive amount of properties gone as holiday lets. Is it any surprise when the Welsh mob gifted holiday let owners grants of £10k March, £1k October, £3k Dec/Jan and £3k Feb/Mar? They would hardly have any bookings in winter, money for nothing!

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
36 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

RM has 4 properties to let on Anglesey population 70,000

Massive amount of properties gone as holiday lets. Is it any surprise when the Welsh mob gifted holiday let owners grants of £10k March, £1k October, £3k Dec/Jan and £3k Feb/Mar? They would hardly have any bookings in winter, money for nothing!

It's more widespread than I thought.

Why is this not a national story?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hancock
59 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

RM has 4 properties to let on Anglesey population 70,000

Massive amount of properties gone as holiday lets. Is it any surprise when the Welsh mob gifted holiday let owners grants of £10k March, £1k October, £3k Dec/Jan and £3k Feb/Mar? They would hardly have any bookings in winter, money for nothing!

You have to wonder if this is one of the reasons for HPI, with so many landlords getting huge chunks of money from the crooked Tory party.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Democorruptcy
7 minutes ago, Hancock said:

You have to wonder if this is one of the reasons for HPI, with so many landlords getting huge chunks of money from the crooked Tory party.

It's a Labour gov in Wales. I don't know what the Tories gave holiday owners in England.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yadda yadda yadda
On 27/03/2021 at 12:11, Frank Hovis said:

It's more widespread than I thought.

Why is this not a national story?

Should be but it doesn't fit the agenda. Might be related to the Government trying to get people back into their city-based office jobs rather than WFH. An unintended consequence of lockdown. Another reason to lift it as the longer it goes on the fewer will be going back to their desks. Shows how out of touch the Government is with ordinary people. 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/03/2021 at 21:08, Green Devil said:

I did. The place was falling apart. Thats why we left. Then he tried to charge us to refurbish it.  Standard landlord behaviour.

when i left renting my landlord tried to keep my deposit.. claimed id broken all his radiators. when i investigated the little plastic twist caps were missing.. 

1) i never turned the radiators off, so had not noticed any twist caps.

2) charging me £1800 for 7 radiators and a plumbers time for £7 worth of twist caps was just being a landlord cunt. 

3) i never stole the fucking caps.. 

I also found out that he wanted to upgrade his valves to thermostatic.. So it looks like he was using my deposit to upgrade his central heating..

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
16 minutes ago, macca said:

1) i never turned the radiators off,

Please report to the DOSBODS re-education centre.

  • Agree 1
  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Green Devil
1 hour ago, macca said:

when i left renting my landlord tried to keep my deposit.. claimed id broken all his radiators. when i investigated the little plastic twist caps were missing.. 

1) i never turned the radiators off, so had not noticed any twist caps.

2) charging me £1800 for 7 radiators and a plumbers time for £7 worth of twist caps was just being a landlord cunt. 

3) i never stole the fucking caps.. 

I also found out that he wanted to upgrade his valves to thermostatic.. So it looks like he was using my deposit to upgrade his central heating..

 

All landlords are cxxxts. They think a tennants job is to 1) pay for his lease on his range rover or other fancy hybrid (he has a conscience you know) and 2) refurbish his house by being ripped off at the end of every tenancy fie stuff that is actually his job to maintain. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sasquatch

I am slightly worried regarding our rental. We're 6 months into our 12 month AST. Never actually signed the condition survey as it was so inaccurate. I queried it and emailed the agent an addendum schedule and a dropbox link to 200 photos. No response! Our deposit is about £2,500 and was only registered with a deposit protection outfit a couple of weeks ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hancock
2 hours ago, macca said:

when i left renting my landlord tried to keep my deposit.. claimed id broken all his radiators. when i investigated the little plastic twist caps were missing.. 

1) i never turned the radiators off, so had not noticed any twist caps.

2) charging me £1800 for 7 radiators and a plumbers time for £7 worth of twist caps was just being a landlord cunt. 

3) i never stole the fucking caps.. 

I also found out that he wanted to upgrade his valves to thermostatic.. So it looks like he was using my deposit to upgrade his central heating..

 

I moved into a flat where 2 scruffy nurses had been living, who got the place after the owners student daughter had been living there.

It was relatively new but they'd had partys and the walls looked as if they been covered in sticky alcohol. (as in most throughout the flat)

The floors were fucken filthy with cigarette ash/burns, and god knows what else.

So i hired one of those Rug Doctors and spent 2 days cleaning the floors, then painted almost all the walls but ran out of paint so left one, that was hidden by the bed.

Cheeky cunts tried claiming my kid had vomited on that wall and that the room needed redecorating, and then complained about cigarette holes in the carpets and wanted me to pony up for them (i dont smoke).

I should have charged them for decorating and cleaning at the time i done it, but it was more a concern not wanting my kid to live like them dirty fuckers.

Live and learn, but it took a war to get my deposit back.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee
6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I am slightly worried regarding our rental. We're 6 months into our 12 month AST. Never actually signed the condition survey as it was so inaccurate. I queried it and emailed the agent an addendum schedule and a dropbox link to 200 photos. No response! Our deposit is about £2,500 and was only registered with a deposit protection outfit a couple of weeks ago. 

if it was registered late I believe there is an established process to smash the landlord.  should be a thread somewhere on here.  Do it.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Hancock said:

I moved into a flat where 2 scruffy nurses had been living, who got the place after the owners student daughter had been living there.

It was relatively new but they'd had partys and the walls looked as if they been covered in sticky alcohol. (as in most throughout the flat)

The floors were fucken filthy with cigarette ash/burns, and god knows what else.

So i hired one of those Rug Doctors and spent 2 days cleaning the floors, then painted almost all the walls but ran out of paint so left one, that was hidden by the bed.

Cheeky cunts tried claiming my kid had vomited on that wall and that the room needed redecorating, and then complained about cigarette holes in the carpets and wanted me to pony up for them (i dont smoke).

I should have charged them for decorating and cleaning at the time i done it, but it was more a concern not wanting my kid to live like them dirty fuckers.

Live and learn, but it took a war to get my deposit back.

Take pictures, and post to your letting agent when you move in.

Wonky electrics, sagging kitchen units, and worn paint is what I encountered once. I didn't mind, but don't tell me it was immaculate when I moved in. I got all the photos.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Take pictures, and post to your letting agent when you move in.

Wonky electrics, sagging kitchen units, and worn paint is what I encountered once. I didn't mind, but don't tell me it was immaculate when I moved in. I got all the photos.

yeah.  always do this. as an ex pat, you are targetted by landlords who think you are stinking rich and won't fight.  I actually videoed places we rented, walk through vids, to record the state.  In one place there was a chop or steak in the oven when we moved in that was manky as fuck.  I videoed it - when we moved out and the rental agent tried to charge us for cleaning the oven.... they got sent that datestamped video.  Heard nothing more.

  • Lol 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some places are a bit tatty when you move in @wherebee. Record it and you cannot be held reponsible.

I don't mind it being a bit worn, as long as I don't get charged for it.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
9 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I am slightly worried regarding our rental. We're 6 months into our 12 month AST. Never actually signed the condition survey as it was so inaccurate. I queried it and emailed the agent an addendum schedule and a dropbox link to 200 photos. No response! Our deposit is about £2,500 and was only registered with a deposit protection outfit a couple of weeks ago. 

Bingo. Happy days.

You have the landlord over a barrel. Expect your deposit back in full with no arguments.

https://www.landlordsguild.com/how-to-ensure-the-lowest-penalty-after-deposit-protected-late/#:~:text=(4) The court must order,the making of the order.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
On 27/03/2021 at 12:11, Frank Hovis said:

It's more widespread than I thought.

Why is this not a national story?

So what we are saying is check right move for available rentals within 10 miles of where you live.

If there are more than 10, you live in a shitty area.

Edited by Wight Flight
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cornwall property is hot because it's a prime destination for all the boomers currently retiring on final salary pensions and cashing in their house price inflation on their shitty 2 up 2 down in the city. They are also running away from the 3rd world shit holes they've created by flooding them with migrants.

  • Agree 9
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
12 hours ago, gibbon said:

Cornwall property is hot because it's a prime destination for all the boomers currently retiring on final salary pensions and cashing in their house price inflation on their shitty 2 up 2 down in the city. They are also running away from the 3rd world shit holes they've created by flooding them with migrants.

Yes, I just posted a story on the Covid property thread.

People relocating from the cities, as opposed to buying second homes, are paying above asking price sight unseen for coastal homes.

HPI is going to be massive and all the renting / wanting to buy locals are going to find themselves moving inland to Bodmin, Liskeard, Camborne or Redruth.

None of those places is  actually bad; they're just not by the sea and a bit down at heel.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I just posted a story on the Covid property thread.

People relocating from the cities, as opposed to buying second homes, are paying above asking price sight unseen for coastal homes.

HPI is going to be massive and all the renting / wanting to buy locals are going to find themselves moving inland to Bodmin, Liskeard, Camborne or Redruth.

None of those places is  actually bad; they're just not by the sea and a bit down at heel.

Also worth mentioning that Cornwall is one of the least "enriched" with "vibrant diversity" places in the country. Every time I go down to Cornwall/Devon it feels like country I grew up in.

Last 5 years I've been meeting loads of people in their 20s/30s from Cornwall who've moved to my city because they say they can't afford to live there and there's few jobs. Thing is they are doing the same to us pushing up rents and house prices here.

The film Bait is pretty good watch if you haven't seen it yet which touches on rich home county types pushing Cornish locals out. 

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
Just now, gibbon said:

Also worth mentioning that Cornwall is one of the least "enriched" with "vibrant diversity" in the country. Every time I go down to Cornwall/Devon it feels like country I grew up in.

Last 5 years I've been meeting loads of people in their 20s/30s from Cornwall who've moved to my city because they say they can't afford to live there and there's few jobs. Thing is they are doing the same to us pushing up rents and house prices here.

The film Bait is pretty good watch if you haven't seen it yet which touches on rich home county types pushing Cornish locals out. 

I suppose I have a foot in both camps as I mostly made my money up country before buying here so pushing up the prices beyond the reach of local.  Though I am myself originally a local and so also get to complain about it.

Though this is generally the aspiration of the many people I know who had to move away after college to find work - to retire back home.

Yes vibrant diversity pretty much stops at Exeter.  Plymouth is that much further away from the social networks of the other big cities.

Cornwall's biggest towns are all about 25k - 35k population.  What low paid work there is is mainly taken up by locals and EEs, not mainly people use taxis owing to the smallness of the towns and those that do usually pre-book with established local firms.

Rural areas in general do not attract immigrants and that's the great majority of Cornwall and Devon.  Being so far away down the peninsula also means that it's too out of the way for all but the most determined pikeys.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
With a crooked smile

In much of Cumbria there are very few family houses available. There are some exceptions like Kendal but if you need to be in a specific area you may struggle. I'm supprised tho as when houses do come up in areas like Cockermouth they are often around £800 a month. All the local Facebook groups have regular comments from people moving to the area (presumably from down south) so I would have assumed given the scarcity rents would have been higher. 

Edited by With a crooked smile
Grammar
  • Informative 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...