DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

HousePriceMania
5 minutes ago, GTM said:

I've noticed an increase on supply coming onto the market over the last week or so. Supply has been steadily falling for ages. The little quality that does appear being snapped up quickly, despite being priced at mental prices. But supply has noticeably started ticking up. I can't imagine many people, looking at their energy, food and council tax bills, wanting to transact at the prices being suggested by the estate agents, but we shall see.

Keep on eye on UK Property Lion, should be a new index out Monday ish.

Places for sale are at all time lows and so far have not looked like going up.

I came across a couple of french blokes who work for a French bank and they did an article on UK house prices after scrapping all the popular web sites and they see exactly the same thing and they agree that the official figures make no sense based on the available listings!!!  

We only do RM but they say it's the same across all the selling portals.

• Informative 3

51 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Keep on eye on UK Property Lion, should be a new index out Monday ish.

Places for sale are at all time lows and so far have not looked like going up.

I came across a couple of french blokes who work for a French bank and they did an article on UK house prices after scrapping all the popular web sites and they see exactly the same thing and they agree that the official figures make no sense based on the available listings!!!  

We only do RM but they say it's the same across all the selling portals.

I'm only going by the number of places that appear in my usual search. It's possible that what I'm seeing is the same trickle of supply as before, but then places sticking around because it is actually sales that are dropping. Or places are in a cycle of for sale -> SSTC -> sale collapses -> for sale.

Whatever is happening, hopefully the trend continues.

HousePriceMania
20 minutes ago, GTM said:

I'm only going by the number of places that appear in my usual search. It's possible that what I'm seeing is the same trickle of supply as before, but then places sticking around because it is actually sales that are dropping. Or places are in a cycle of for sale -> SSTC -> sale collapses -> for sale.

Whatever is happening, hopefully the trend continues.

IIRC The south west ( given this is a SW thread ) was one of the areas where supply has risen slightly, it's a long way down tho.

Here's the chart but we are talking tiny numbers here, an increase of 700 from the all time lows, so up about 4% and this is peak selling season.

I maintain that if the banks have no one to lend to they are in serious trouble here.

image.thumb.png.929650f32798b6da8bb78278f20be769.png

• Informative 2

Frank Hovis

This looks to me like deliberate arson of a second home being converted; I mentioned the campaign in Wales back in the 1980s and wondered whether there would be similar happening here.

Well this looks like the first. Carbis Bay is a continuation of St Ives.

Carbis Bay property set on fire a day after new roof was put up

Police believe the building was targeted

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/carbis-bay-property-set-fire-6875036

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

Wight Flight

Wonder how long this will stay on the market?

Onthemarket

The price is relatively high, but look at the EPC. Landlord clearly can't be bothered to do anything about it. You really need to add £550 to the rent to cover heat and council tax to work out the true cost.

Good job it has easy access to the mainland as that is where you will need to work to pull in a big enough salary.

Edited by Wight Flight

On 27/03/2022 at 17:19, Wight Flight said:

I did join this group a while ago, just to compare.

Seems v similar to Whitby n Scabby rental groups - loads of single mums/beneits parents from way way looking to move.

In Scabby/Whitby its boro, leeds etc.

In IOW its Soton n London, so you get it a lot worse.

Its another example example of bending over backward for jobs single parents.

It really has to stop - hostel to where they went to school, forced work.

They all seem to have dogs too.

Typical posts - 

I am relocating to the Isle of Wight with my husband and 4 children and we are looking for a 3/4 bedroom home available beginning of May as this is when I start my new job. I have a dog who is 9 (cockapoo) and he’s well behaved. If anyone knows of anything available please let me know. I constantly look on rightmove etc but everyone I ring up say ‘no pets’. Thank you.

Id guess the job is some pointless PT work too. I might be wrong.

However .. this one stood out, as I normally do a quick FB/google check.

Id not normally dox/name a FB poster. But in this case ...

Looking for a 1 bed property room or bedsit to rent as soon as possible anywhere on the Island

Quick FB check - 4 kids.

Quick google  - 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7779979/Woman-caught-stealing-baubles-from-Ryde-Isle-of-Wight-Christmas-tree-apologises-for-drunken-behaviour.html

A woman caught recklessly vandalising a town's Christmas tree has apologised for her 'stupid drunken behaviour'. 

CCTV footage from Ryde, Isle of Wight, showed the mystery woman removing baubles made by schoolchildren from the community tree. 

Police launched an investigation after local outcry. But it can now be revealed the culprit was Leeanne Rolfe, 23, of Chale, Isle of Wight. 

And heres the killer - and why theyve stop to pandering to fuckwits.

Her father Peter, now 69, hit headlines four years ago when he revealed he had fathered 26 children by 15 different women and wanted a bigger house despite already claiming benefits. 

The children were conceived as a result of a string of casual conquests with different women while he worked as a bouncer in London. 

His now ~25yo daughter - one of 26 - has 4 kids of her own, who are no longer in her care.

Locals on the Isle of Wight were outraged at his daughter's behaviour.

The decorations she stole and damaged were made by Year One pupils at Greenmount Primary School and kids who visit the town's Youth Cafe. 

Ms Rolfe's husband Danny Tiller was one of the first to express his outrage. 

He commented on the video on Facebook: 'My darling estranged wife Leeanne Rolfe. Absolute cretinous b****. I'm ashamed to call her my kids' mum.'

A mock-up of Ms Rolfe as The Grinch was shared online with the words: 'How the Rolfe stole Christmas.' 

How i fuck do resorts stand any chance as they are swamped with sucmmers?

• Lol 2

One percent
6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I did join this group a while ago, just to compare.

Seems v similar to Whitby n Scabby rental groups - loads of single mums/beneits parents from way way looking to move.

In Scabby/Whitby its boro, leeds etc.

In IOW its Soton n London, so you get it a lot worse.

Its another example example of bending over backward for jobs single parents.

It really has to stop - hostel to where they went to school, forced work.

They all seem to have dogs too.

Typical posts - 

I am relocating to the Isle of Wight with my husband and 4 children and we are looking for a 3/4 bedroom home available beginning of May as this is when I start my new job. I have a dog who is 9 (cockapoo) and he’s well behaved. If anyone knows of anything available please let me know. I constantly look on rightmove etc but everyone I ring up say ‘no pets’. Thank you.

Id guess the job is some pointless PT work too. I might be wrong.

However .. this one stood out, as I normally do a quick FB/google check.

Id not normally dox/name a FB poster. But in this case ...

Looking for a 1 bed property room or bedsit to rent as soon as possible anywhere on the Island

Quick FB check - 4 kids.

Quick google  - 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7779979/Woman-caught-stealing-baubles-from-Ryde-Isle-of-Wight-Christmas-tree-apologises-for-drunken-behaviour.html

A woman caught recklessly vandalising a town's Christmas tree has apologised for her 'stupid drunken behaviour'. 

CCTV footage from Ryde, Isle of Wight, showed the mystery woman removing baubles made by schoolchildren from the community tree. 

Police launched an investigation after local outcry. But it can now be revealed the culprit was Leeanne Rolfe, 23, of Chale, Isle of Wight. 

And heres the killer - and why theyve stop to pandering to fuckwits.

Her father Peter, now 69, hit headlines four years ago when he revealed he had fathered 26 children by 15 different women and wanted a bigger house despite already claiming benefits. 

The children were conceived as a result of a string of casual conquests with different women while he worked as a bouncer in London. 

His now ~25yo daughter - one of 26 - has 4 kids of her own, who are no longer in her care.

Locals on the Isle of Wight were outraged at his daughter's behaviour.

The decorations she stole and damaged were made by Year One pupils at Greenmount Primary School and kids who visit the town's Youth Cafe. 

Ms Rolfe's husband Danny Tiller was one of the first to express his outrage. 

He commented on the video on Facebook: 'My darling estranged wife Leeanne Rolfe. Absolute cretinous b****. I'm ashamed to call her my kids' mum.'

A mock-up of Ms Rolfe as The Grinch was shared online with the words: 'How the Rolfe stole Christmas.' 

How i fuck do resorts stand any chance as they are swamped with sucmmers?

We certainly don’t want the likes of these scum moving to whitby. We have enough homegrown scum of our own to contend with. 

With a crooked smile

If your staff can't find accommodation find it for them. The Inn Collection Group have just put in planning permission to change this hotel into staff accommodation. You can apply for planning permission prior to buying a property. 

Screenshot_20220401-221925_Rightmove.jpg

• Informative 3

With a crooked smile

I bothered to read the planners letter of submission about the change of use. I've attached it below. Nothing unexpected references to covid, brexit and general housing situation in area like The Lake District. Worth a quick read through. 

77953-432264_220402_065019_220402_065120_1.jpg

77953-432264_220402_065019_220402_065120_2.jpg

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
Wight Flight

This really surprised me...

https://onthewight.com/isle-of-wight-schools-had-more-than-2300-empty-school-places-in-last-year/?fbclid=IwAR3hmumep5AV4AsL8Guz0Z1twYfE6rE3MP70KOenlSwpF5BPZTh2WK7OsFE

what is I like down your way @Frank HovisanHovisHovisanHovHovisanHovisHovisanHisanHovisHovisanHovHovisanHovisHovisa

Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Frank Hovis
5 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

https://onthewight.com/isle-of-wight-schools-had-more-than-2300-empty-school-places-in-last-year/?fbclid=IwAR3hmumep5AV4AsL8Guz0Z1twYfE6rE3MP70KOenlSwpF5BPZTh2WK7OsFE

what is I like down your way @Frank HovisanHovisHovisanHovHovisanHovisHovisanHisanHovisHovisanHovHovisanHovisHovisa

That's very much not the case here, there are still reports each year of people not being able to get their kids into local schools and at least one big new school built.

My guess is that there is a lot of housebuilding down here and reasonably well off families are relocating down from the SE to give their kids a better upbringing by the coast; there are occasional press stories along these lines.

Whilst local families are definitely being pushed out there are sufficient relocating families coming in to keep demand for school places high.

My guess for the difference is the amount of housebuilding plus the number of people who come here for a family holiday and then decide to stay.

The IoW is less of a mass tourist destination so is more going to be a relocate of choice for retired people wanting somewhere quiet; you are after all on an island.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

FHL made it to R4 this morning. Again.

Lakes - Hawkswhatsit.

Interview local headteacher - Lots of empty places. School risk closing.

Switch to tearoom - We rely on tourists.

A fucking tearoom. which will employ fuckall and pay less.

Fuckem.

Again, each FT resident generates ~10k of public spend.

A FHL generates a bmp in sales of booze for the ~20 weeks it will be let.

Thats it.

And that spend tends to go to the local supermarket.

• Agree 2

With a crooked smile
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Depends on definition of local. In North Lakes the deliveries get bussed in from Carsile and Penrith. Booths (the local supermarket don't deliver). 

The real issue for me is that holiday let's tend to mostly self cater. Whereas those staying at a B&B will typically eat out locally.

With a crooked smile
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Colliers have a tea room at Pooley Bridge up for 2.5 million. Turnover 1m a year. That's a fucking extreme example tho.

Don Coglione
7 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Colliers have a tea room at Pooley Bridge up for 2.5 million. Turnover 1m a year. That's a fucking extreme example tho.

20 grand a week, every week? nearly 3 grand a day?

Fuck me, that's a lot of tea and buns.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

38 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Who the fuck is going to pay 2.5x turnover for a labour intensive business, with no scale?

Yes I know, some southern boomer.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

15 hours ago, spygirl said:

FHL made it to R4 this morning. Again.

Lakes - Hawkswhatsit.

Interview local headteacher - Lots of empty places. School risk closing.

Switch to tearoom - We rely on tourists.

Fuckem.

Again, each FT resident generates ~10k of public spend.

A FHL generates a bmp in sales of booze for the ~20 weeks it will be let.

Thats it.

If it's Hawkshead that will be the small Co-op shop and the Deli because it's a right faff to get to the local Booths. Heck even the supermarket spending will be in Kendal. 

Bobthebuilder
42 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Here's one I know the history of.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/121567061#/?channel=RES_LET

Was offered in August 2018 for £850 a month.

Now offered at £1,400 a month (though I think the chancer has had to drop to £1300)

Nothing like banging up the rent 65% in 3.5 years.

Estate agent located in Great Windmill Street London W1D.

Wight Flight
36 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Estate agent located in Great Windmill Street London W1D.

Online bunch. No service as such. Only £49 to list your property. Clearly the LL doesn't like wasting money.

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
21 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Online bunch. No service as such. Only £49 to list your property. Clearly the LL doesn't like wasting money.

We didn't even need to advertise. Had someone knock on the door yesterday he owns a couple of nice bars in Keswick. Looking for workers accommodation. We were going to rent out the owners flat at our hotel on airbnb but he offered us a good price on the spot for a couple that work for him.

For us it means minimal effort, tho less money it's still a decent amount and hopefully hassle free.

Small community his dad is my optician and I might have mentioned something to him previously. 

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Randomly n rarely I caught a bit of Newnight last night.

Wales. Holiday lets.

I guess it was about these rules -

https://gov.wales/new-tax-rules-second-homes

They had this old battle ze on.

Honestly, i was like listening to a idiot bTLer - its my pension bullshit.

The battle axe had 3 or 4 holiday lets. They were her pension .. of course.

She cant afford to pay 3x council tax on them ..

One, once you have beyond a certain income, normally 2 FHLs, youll blow he SBRR relief limit so be liable  business rates, which are ~3x ctax.

Why in fuck set up a businesses which she (claims) she cannot afford to busies taxes on?

There are waaay too many people doubling  down on their properdee stake an expect $$$$$

And theres too many people who dont grasp that once you move beyond OOO then a lot more taxes are due.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

The change is intended to provide a clearer demonstration that the properties concerned are being let regularly as part of genuine holiday accommodation businesses making a substantial contribution to the local economy.

I strongly disagree with the above.

FHL are a drain on local resources and remove  much more money than they put in

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
36 minutes ago, spygirl said:

The change is intended to provide a clearer demonstration that the properties concerned are being let regularly as part of genuine holiday accommodation businesses making a substantial contribution to the local economy.

I strongly disagree with the above.

FHL are a drain on local resources and remove  much more money than they put in

Yep. They are a blight on a town.

• Agree 2

Historic Mount Royale Hotel in York to close as it is 'no longer viable' - and Georgian buildings will be converted back into houses

One of York's premier long-established city hotels is to close this month - as it is no longer viable in the face of recent competition.

By Grace Newton
Friday, 15th April 2022, 8:40 am
Updated7 hours ago

The Mount Royale Hotel in the city's historic Mount neighbourhood will now be converted back into homes - its original use in the early 19th century - by its new owners, developers Oakgate Group, who are behind a number of other schemes in York.

It has been a 24-bedroom hotel for over 50 years and is in family ownership, but a recent explosion in the number of budget rooms and alternative options for accommodation in the city has seen it struggled to remain viable.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/historic-mount-royale-hotel-in-york-to-close-as-it-is-no-longer-viable-and-georgian-buildings-will-be-converted-back-into-houses-3656081

So, a regulated, above board rate paying business close whilst all the tax dodging, neighboyr annoying Airbnb n fhls open....

• Agree 3