• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Beggars not begging

There was a man outside morrisons the other day, didn't ask for money but sat there in dirty clothes with a tub of change in front of him.

Apparently there's one at every supermarket at the moment. 

Begging or not begging? 
Should they be moved on? 
Should we join in and see how much we make?

Just now, sarahbell said:

There was a man outside morrisons the other day, didn't ask for money but sat there in dirty clothes with a tub of change in front of him.

Apparently there's one at every supermarket at the moment. 

Begging or not begging? 
Should they be moved on? 
Should we join in and see how much we make?

If you do join in, you need a dog on string to complete the ensemble. 

Just now, One percent said:

If you do join in, you need a dog on string to complete the ensemble. 

I am currently negotiating with the owner of a jack russell as to how much commission they want.

There is a shop in the university area of Belfast who has had the same immigrant sitting quietly directly opposite the the entrance, for about 7 years. He's there all day most days; that's just what he does. He doesn't ask for money, but I do see people give him money.

If I owned the shop I'd not be pleased.

Edited by JoeDavola

Just now, sarahbell said:

I was planning on blue baler twine. 

Good choice, it will work equally well to signal that you are an alternative. 

Just now, JoeDavola said:

There is a shop in the university area of Belfast who has had the same immigrant sitting quietly outside the entrance, for about 7 years. He's there all day most days; that's just what he does. He doesn't ask for money, but I do see people give him money.

That must be incredibly boring. Seven years. Feck. 

I never come across beggars/tramps unless I am unfortunate enough to go to London. But when I do, I have been known to give them a fiver in the past, but probably wouldn't now. My only proviso was that they were British - I'm not comfortable giving money to one of Blair's Children when they're already on the take and sending it back home.

The reason I would be reluctant to now is many European cities are now overrun by beggars. Shame, but predictable.

When I was in college we used to spend quote a lot of time in the pub. There was one utterly shameless bastard who, on one occasion, ran out of cash. We didn't feel like subbing him as he was a bit of a cock so he decided to take matters into his own hands.

We watched, astonished as he exited the pub and crossed the road to sit between two ATM machines with a little hankerchief in front of him, head bowed.

20 minutes later he came back in with enough for a few more pints and was promptly told to piss off by the unamused landlord.

I never give them cash.

16 minutes ago, One percent said:

That must be incredibly boring. Seven years. Feck. 

Thing is I'd foolishly assumed for those 7 years that he was a resident of the uni area.

But last weekend I walked home to my parents house in east belfast about 3 or 4 miles away - and there he was on a bicycle, making his way into one of the streets there. I reckon he lives in the east but sits in the Uni area all day cause it's a good spot - full of 'right on' types who are more likely to give money.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Thing is I'd foolishly assumed for those 7 years that he was a resident of the uni area.

But last weekend I walked home to my parents house in east belfast about 3 or 4 miles away - and there he was on a bicycle, making his way into one of the streets there. I reckon he lives in the east but sits in the Uni area all day cause it's a good spot - full of 'right on' types who are more likely to give money.

And I guess this is all cash in hand. No contribution to the tax system for him.  Still a bloody boring way to live your life 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

And I guess this is all cash in hand. No contribution to the tax system for him.  Still a bloody boring way to live your life 

Oh aye of course. He'll be on benefits + whatever he gets handed during the day - but he spends over 8 hours a day staring at the entrance to a shop - no earphones in, no paper to read, nothing - just sitting staring. I dunno how he does it.

24 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

There is a shop in the university area of Belfast who has had the same immigrant sitting quietly directly opposite the the entrance, for about 7 years. He's there all day most days; that's just what he does. He doesn't ask for money, but I do see people give him money.

The ones at the ATMs in Belfast really annoy me, not homeless just chancers 

you never used to get beggars in Belfast and the PSNI need to get a grip of the issue 

I've only ever seen the police talking to a beggar once 

2 minutes ago, Malthus said:

you never used to get beggars in Belfast and the PSNI need to get a grip of the issue 

PMSL what do they expect?!?! A freshly printed £10 note? Surely they'll do better outside a shop when they the gullible have broken a note.

When I worked in London I used to give the beggar outside M&S a sandwich and dog food every time I bought lunch from there myself. Never any money.

3 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Yeah it's all gone to shit - I walk down the Dublin Road and through Botanic into the uni area every day and you're running the gauntlet of beggars of all kinds in a relatively small area. I don't say this in public as I'd be criticized as being a racist right winger but the Botanic area between beggars and high numbers of various types of migrants who are obviously not integrating with wider society... has gone completely to shit. Completely different to even 10 years ago.

2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

PMSL what do they expect?!?! A freshly printed £10 note?

I've seen just that happen. Druggie being handed a nice crisp tenner by an old woman.

So they can't even be bothered to get a job selling Big Issue to get tax credits and related benefits from that - that requires some work and form filling though.

Or is there another official category they can use such as Personal Charity Beggar (I made that title up but don't give them ideas) coming under self employed allowing them to plain beg and still claim related tax credits and benefits.  It wouldn't surprise me if Labour1984 did that after 1997 and it might explain the reluctance for the authorities to do anything. 

Edited by twocents

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah it's all gone to shit - I walk down the Dublin Road and through Botanic into the uni area every day and you're running the gauntlet of beggars of all kinds in a relatively small area. I don't say this in public as I'd be criticized as being a racist right winger but the Botanic area between beggars and high numbers of various types of migrants who are obviously not integrating with wider society... has gone completely to shit. Completely different to even 10 years ago.

I worked on Donegal pass a couple of years ago and felt like a stranger walking up Botanic at lunch times 

I couldn't believe the change in that area from my student days at QUB 

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Oh and @Malthus the other night I tried to lift cash on the Dublin Road and had to visit 3 different ATM's before I found one that didn't have people lurking beside it.

You got lucky , the beggar assigned to that one must have been on his tea break 😀😀😀

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I've seen just that happen. Druggie being handed a nice crisp tenner by an old woman.

I don't (do) believe you. I'm going to have to try this myself when my kids go back to school next week. 😂

4 minutes ago, Malthus said:

I worked on Donegal pass a couple of years ago and felt like a stranger walking up Botanic at lunch times 

I couldn't believe the change in that area from my student days at QUB

Yeah I reckon in another 10 years Botanic/Holylands will have formed a series of 'ghetto's' exclusively made up of certain types of migrants - it's already happened with the holyland streets near the Asian supermarket.

It's a shame because the university area should be a desirable place to live, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it now. I've seen the decline the last 10 years and it's only gonna get worse.

Edited by JoeDavola

17 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I reckon in another 10 years Botanic/Holylands will have formed a series of 'ghetto's' exclusively made up of certain types of migrants - it's already happened with the holyland streets near the Asian supermarket.

It's a shame because the university area should be a desirable place to live, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it now. I've seen the decline the last 10 years and it's only gonna get worse.

Don't worry Joe. The rate it's all going to shit, it will be the same everywhere in five years. No nice areas left 

This could be a genuinely interesting topic for the television. It would be interesting if the So-Called BBC sent in undercover reporters to pose as beggars and see how much they got.

I never give to beggars as I believe you're just encouraging more begging. Before anyone calls me a "tory wanker" I do give to charity.