• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Nonsense made up

31 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Totally disgraceful.

It is FEWER you dozy bint!

Actually, I dispute that. 'Fewer' is used when there are countable entities, implying integer units. 'Less' is used where proportions are used. 

'Half' is not an integer count of people, it is a proportion of a population.

6 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Actually, I dispute that. 'Fewer' is used when there are countable entities, implying integer units. 'Less' is used where proportions are used. 

Ooohhh. Pedant fight. xD

14 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

But there is a countable number of disadvantaged two year olds - therefore half of them represents an actual number.

I stand by my initial pedantic comment.

24 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

But there is a countable number of disadvantaged two year olds - therefore half of them represents an actual number.

But not in the data presented.  Sampling will have been used and percentages extrapolated out from the sample (which will be relatively small). So, it is not actually a numerical count of disadvantaged two year olds. Lies, damned lies and statistics and all that.... 

note, I'm not getting drawn into the pedant fight here..... 

42 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

STFU. What do you know, you're just a doggie.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

If we're onto stupid MPs I give you Sarah Teather, ex Liberal MP.  Her TV appearances were car crash TV; unmatched until Diane Abbottopotamus's recent disasters.

Lest ye forget this mastermind.......

_39672067_blunkett_humphrys_203bbc.jpg

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Totally disgraceful.

It is FEWER you dozy bint!

You're on shaky ground there Cunning. 

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/04/half-truths.html

Half truths

APRIL 7TH, 2008

Q: I know “fewer” refers to something you can count and “less” to something uncountable. However, what do you say in a sentence like this: “Fewer [or “Less”] than half of the graduates are present today.” In this case, are you talking about the graduates or are you referring to the fraction?

A: Strictly speaking, as you know, “fewer” should refer to plural nouns (“fewer kittens”) and “less” to singular nouns (“less milk”). But a weakness of “fewer” can be seen with percentages and fractions.

Should we say “less than five percent of the people” or “fewer than five percent of the people”? “Less than half of the graduates” or “fewer than half of the graduates”?

The answer isn’t black and white. I think (and Garner’s Modern American Usage agrees) that in these cases “less” is better.

The phrase “half of the graduates” is closer to a collective mass noun than to a collection of individuals counted up. So I’d suggest “less than half of the graduates.”

There are intelligent arguments for “fewer,” but “less” would be my choice, since percentages and fractions suggest quantity rather than counted individuals.

You also missed out on correcting a "hung" where it should have been "hanged" on another thread.

C-, must try harder.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

You're on shaky ground there Cunning. 

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/04/half-truths.html

You also missed out on correcting a "hung" where it should have been "hanged" on another thread.

C-, must try harder.

OK - so some think it is arguable. I can live with that.

And I didn't miss it but I was hanged over and couldn't be arsed. (Besides I had a feeling I was being baited, like the Union Jack phrase a couple of days ago)

7 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The answer isn’t black and white. I think (and Garner’s Modern American Usage agrees) that in these cases “less” is better.

Just noticed you are quoting Yank language at me.

In which case, I amend my previous point. I can't be assed.

18 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am a greyhound. Not a feckin stupid tail wagging Labrador. Go and fetch your own bloody stick whilst I get comfy on the sofa.

If you think your Av looks like a greyhound, then you've been sold a pup.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Hey, no dissing labs. 

IMG_0758.JPG

Yep. That's one of them. Looks pretty stupid to me.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

If you think your Av looks like a greyhound, then you've been sold a pup.

My avatar is my previous which was a lurcher. I have morphed into a fully bone idle greyhound.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yep. That's one of them. Looks pretty stupid to me.

My avatar is my previous which was a lurcher. I have morphed into a fully bone idle greyhound.

Not to stupid, she hates greyhounds.