DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Northern Ireland's antidepressant spend increases by £7m in 2020

JoeDavola

The amount spent on anti-depressant drugs in Northern Ireland has increased by almost £7m in just a year.

Figures show that expenditure went from £11.3m in 2019 to £18.3m in 2020.

Health officials say price increases among some of the most commonly used anti-depressant drugs have led to a "significant impact" on costs.

Responding to the figures, a leading GPs' union raised concerns about the "tsunami of mental health issues" caused by Covid-19.

Anti-depressant drugs can be used to treat a number of conditions such as anxiety and depression, and they are one of the most commonly-prescribed medications in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56500489

3.5m prescriptions for happy pills in a country with a population of 1.8 million.

I mean what do they have to be depressed about, don't they know how much house prices went up here this year?

• Informative 2
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1
JoeDavola

Bump - since I posted two of these by mistake, this is the one to reply to.

Yadda yadda yadda
8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56500489

3.5m prescriptions for happy pills in a country with a population of 1.8 million.

I mean what do they have to be depressed about, don't they know how much house prices went up here this year?

Is it one prescription per month or every three months? Minimum of 1 in 6 on them. Presumably higher than that for adults.

JoeDavola
8 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Is it one prescription per month or every three months? Minimum of 1 in 6 on them. Presumably higher than that for adults.

Just checked with someone who was on them, it depends on the dose. Higher dose is once a month, lower dose is once every 2 or 3 months.

But yes if you assume it's all once a month then that works out 1 in 6 of the population on them.

Yadda yadda yadda
2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Just checked with someone who was on them, it depends on the dose. Higher dose is once a month, lower dose is once every 2 or 3 months.

But yes if you assume it's all once a month then that works out 1 in 6 of the population on them.

So it is definitely more than 1 in 6. Hopefully not too much more. Sad state of affairs really.

It will be another the reason the UK population is so fat. I don't expect that NI is significantly worse than the rest of the UK. Or the ROI for that matter.

Long time lurking

They would be better off going to Scotland to buy their benzos they would save a fortune buying them off street corners 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Informative 1
JoeDavola
2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

So it is definitely more than 1 in 6. Hopefully not too much more. Sad state of affairs really.

It will be another the reason the UK population is so fat. I don't expect that NI is significantly worse than the rest of the UK. Or the ROI for that matter.

"A report compiled by journalists at The Detail found NI doctors prescribe anti-depressants two and half times more often their English counterparts."

• Informative 1
MrPin

Drugs are not the answer to spiritual problems. It's like patching a dodgy exhaust.

• Agree 2
Yadda yadda yadda
3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

"A report compiled by journalists at The Detail found NI doctors prescribe anti-depressants two and half times more often their English counterparts."

That is surprising.

JoeDavola
12 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

That is surprising.

That's from a 2014 report - don't know if it's still true.

ElKapitan84
27 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Drugs are not the answer to spiritual problems. It's like patching a dodgy exhaust.

It's partially the answer if you're after PIP/DLA.

Single mothers, the poor things, have ADHD bastards which requires free money and as such causing depression for the single mother, which requires additional free money on top of the other free money for rent, which is on top of the other free money for food and utilities (cider).

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
JoeDavola
7 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

It's partially the answer if you're after PIP/DLA.

Single mothers, the poor things, have ADHD bastards which requires free money and as such causing depression for the single mother, which requires additional free money on top of the other free money for rent, which is on top of the other free money for food and utilities (cider).

Aaaah that explains it then.

Win win. Big Pharma wins with their price-hiking of the pills, Big Sharon from the estate wins with PIP every month that she can use to pay for the inflatable jaccuzi in the back yard that every chav seems to have these days.

Tax payer doesn't win, but then they never do.

ElKapitan84
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Aaaah that explains it then.

Win win. Big Pharma wins with their price-hiking of the pills, Big Sharon from the estate wins with PIP every month that she can use to pay for the inflatable jaccuzi in the back yard that every chav seems to have these days.

Tax payer doesn't win, but then they never do.

Proportionally, twice as many people claim long term sickness benefits in Northern Ireland than the rest of the UK.  Claiming depression is one of the methods, and prescriptions for anti-depressants are required as the documented proof for the claimant.  Most of these pills are probably never even taken out of the box.

I wonder if it's all part of throwing money at the North to keep a lid on it.  We know for example that halfwit terrorists are now LARPing at politics ('community leaders'), which is really just a way of extorting money from both Dublin and London through 'grants'.  They'll probably blow up power stations or something if they free money stops.

They couldn't even manage proper grammar in spelling their own names but they're allowed on TV to keep up the scam.

• Agree 1
JoeDavola
1 minute ago, ElKapitan84 said:

Proportionally, twice as many people claim long term sickness benefits in Northern Ireland than the rest of the UK.  Claiming depression is one of the methods, and prescriptions for anti-depressants are required as the documented proof for the claimant.  Most of these pills are probably never even taken out of the box.

I wonder if it's all part of throwing money at the North to keep a lid on it.  We know for example that halfwit terrorists are now LARPing at politics ('community leaders'), which is really just a way of extorting money from both Dublin and London through 'grants'.  They'll probably blow up power stations or something if they free money stops.

They couldn't even manage proper grammar in spelling their own names but they're allowed on TV to keep up the scam.

Yeah I came within 2 points of lower rate PIP - failed on the mental illness part - should have been faking antidepressant use, like it seems thousands are already doing.

• Agree 2
MrLibertyRedux
50 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have to agree, apart from the few who have genuine issues that can be fixed with pharmacological intervention, which I suspect are few and far between.

I was going through the shittest time of my life nearly twenty years ago and was prescribed Sertraline by my GP. I stared at the box for about six weeks and never took them. I made the right decision. I didn't need my brain chemistry modifying.

• Informative 3
montecristo
8 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

This is the reason. Much more difficult to claim beanies for a physical issue (sore back etc).  No one dares to question "depression".

• Informative 2
montecristo
7 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I have to agree, apart from the few who have genuine issues that can be fixed with pharmacological intervention, which I suspect are few and far between.

I was going through the shittest time of my life nearly twenty years ago and was prescribed Sertraline by my GP. I stared at the box for about six weeks and never took them. I made the right decision. I didn't need my brain chemistry modifying.

Have a read about the numbers of people in NI on benefits.  Virtually nobody works and a large percentage of the ones that do, work in the public sector.

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/news/northern-ireland-benefits-statistics-summary-may-2017-published#:~:text=The number of Employment and,6%2C180 on a year earlier.

Edited by montecristo
  • Informative 1
Rare Bear
6 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Have a read about the numbers of people in NI on benefits.  Virtually nobody works and a large percentage of the ones that do, work in the public sector.

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/news/northern-ireland-benefits-statistics-summary-may-2017-published#:~:text=The number of Employment and,6%2C180 on a year earlier.

As someone said to me years ago, Northern Ireland doesn't really have an economy.

• Agree 1
montecristo
3 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

As someone said to me years ago, Northern Ireland doesn't really have an economy.

Yep, thing is those fuckwits in Stormont could lower the Corporation tax rate a few percent below ROI.  NI would become the Singapore of Europe overnight.  They won't do so in case big Sandra gets her beanies reduced from the cut in the block grant.

Edited by montecristo
  • Agree 2
ElKapitan84
8 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Yep, thing is those fuckwits in Stormont could lower the Corporation tax rate a few percent below ROI.  NI would become the Singapore of Europe overnight.  They won't do so in case big Sandra gets her beanies reduced from the cut in the block grant.

Nolan would have her on.  Himself, almost in tears as he emphasizes (then demands to know how that morning's ratings did).

• Agree 1
JoeDavola
11 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

We have public sector jobs, an IT industry where American companies get subsidies to outsource jobs here, and of course our ever soaring housing market.

And that's about it. #NorthernIrishEconomicMiracle

montecristo
Just now, ElKapitan84 said:

Nolan would have her on.  Himself, almost in tears as he emphasizes (then demands to know how that morning's ratings did).

Yep, Sandra ciggies are more important than apple and google etc moving their HQ 100 mile up the road.