• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Is your low-fat diet killing you?

https://health.spectator.co.uk/is-your-low-fat-diet-killing-you/

new study has generated some interesting results. The large prospective cohort study (meaning patients were followed in real time) involved 135,000 patients who were followed up from recruitment for 7.4 years. Food intake was assessed by validated questionnaire. Outcomes of interest included total mortality, cardiovascular events including death, myocardial infarction (heart attack) and stroke.

Overall results are striking; higher carbohydrate intake (more than 60 per cent proportion of total calories) was associated with an increased risk of death from all causes (total mortality) of 28 per cent. Interestingly, the majority of these carbohydrates were refined carbohydrates, not sources such as fruit or vegetables. It’s worth remembering that higher amounts of refined carbohydrates in the diet have been implicated in both cardiovascular disease and other diseases including cancer.

Most people these days aren't eating low fat diets, so very few are in danger of hurting themselves via lack of fat, even if that was an issue.

The summary says that a high refined carb diet is bad for you, which we all knew anyway. But that's not the same as saying that low fat kills. High refined carb kills; so they shouldn't summarize it with the headline that suggests your low fat diet is killing you.

10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Most people these days aren't eating low fat diets, so very few are in danger of hurting themselves via lack of fat, even if that was an issue.

The summary says that a high refined carb diet is bad for you, which we all knew anyway. But that's not the same as saying that low fat kills. High refined carb kills; so they shouldn't summarize it with the headline that suggests your low fat diet is killing you.

I haven't had a chance to look at the actual study yet, but the spectator article does go on to assert that a higher fat intake is associated with a decrease in death rates in the study, which is just the inverse of saying that a lower intake is associated with increased death.

Here's the quote;

A higher intake of saturated fat (e.g. butter) was associated with a 14 per cent decrease in death from all causes, monounsaturated fat (e.g. olive oil) a 19 per cent decrease and polyunsaturated fat (e.g. walnuts ) a 20 per cent decrease. Total fat intake was not associated with risk of myocardial infarction or cardiovascular disease mortality, and higher levels of saturated fat intake were associated with lower risks of stroke.

30 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

DOSBODS have been miles ahead on this (and everything else). It's going mainstream now though, what else have tptb been wrong/lying about?

Along health lines, I'm expecting something to do with NSAIDs like ibuprofen being really bad for you if taken regularly. Although it's already happening,  carbs will get even worse press too, and wheat and soya in particular. This was all predicted in the early 70s:

1 hour ago, The Idiocrat said:

Along health lines, I'm expecting something to do with NSAIDs like ibuprofen being really bad for you if taken regularly. Although it's already happening,  carbs will get even worse press too, and wheat and soya in particular. This was all predicted in the early 70s:

haha totally forgotten about that

Saturated fat intake ranged across the countries studied from about 6% of calories to a high of about 11% of calories, again all lower than average levels in the U.S. and much of Europe, and actually very close to recommended levels. Headlines encouraging populations that already eat more saturated fat than this to add even more are not merely unjustified by anything in the study, they are egregiously irresponsible.

In other words, past the hype and headlines, the apparent paradoxes and puzzles, what PURE means is that: poor people with poor diets and barely enough to eat, and living in places with limited if any modern medical care- are more likely to get sick and die than people living in better circumstances. With all due respect to the researchers, and none to the promulgators of massively misleading media coverage- we knew that already.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/diet-health-puzzling-past-paradox-pure-understanding-david?trk=mp-reader-card&utm_content=bufferf15a6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And another decent in depth analysis of what this research shows:

http://www.thenutritionwonk.com/single-post/2017/08/29/The-5-Continent-PURE-Study-A-Prospective-Cohort-Study

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

The first link you posted reads like someone who very much has skin in the game regarding the status quo.

9 hours ago, This Time said:

And a Google of him reveals that he's spent his career advocating 'healthy whole grains' and singing the praises of a vegan diet.

Check out starting @ 10 minutes in - he only speaks for about another 10 mins after that...he seems quite balanced actually IMO:

10 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Slightly tangential, but it's weird how crap most (middle to  old aged) poor people look. We should defininitely avoid whatever they eat.

Coins and bank notes, maybe?

I don't think anyone really knows what the optimum diet for health is despite what various studies and research on the matter report.

All anyone can do is take a common sense approach IMO.

Common sense infers to me that home grown, local reared/grown, minimal chemical additives and processing is a better life choice whether you choose to be carnivore, veggie or vegan.

Personally I've always ate mainly local meat/fish, as natural as possible with minimal processing fats, a small loaf of bread per week and lots of veg including potato. A few servings in a month of fruit, rice and pasta and an appealing desert approx every four months. 

I don't eat much sugar and these days would never eat anything with artificial sugar regardless how it's presented in a label. Over 50 names for sugar these days!

Similarly I haven't ever and am not tempted to eat any natural fat substitutes. Simply because to me natural fat tastes sooooooo much better on bread or in cooking food.

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I don't think anyone really knows what the optimum diet for health is despite what various studies and research on the matter report.

All anyone can do is take a common sense approach IMO.

Common sense infers to me that home grown, local reared/grown, minimal chemical additives and processing is a better life choice whether you choose to be carnivore, veggie or vegan.

Personally I've always ate mainly local meat/fish, as natural as possible with minimal processing fats, a small loaf of bread per week and lots of veg including potato. A few servings in a month of fruit, rice and pasta and an appealing desert approx every four months. 

I don't eat much sugar and these days would never eat anything with artificial sugar regardless how it's presented in a label. Over 50 names for sugar these days!

Similarly I haven't ever and am not tempted to eat any natural fat substitutes. Simply because to me natural fat tastes sooooooo much better on bread or in cooking food.

People have been eating meat, vegetables and fruit since before people were people. Grains? not so much. Refined grains? nope. Margarine? F#*K off! 

Made a concerted effort to go low low carbs over the last 10 days with zero tolerance to sugar and wheat products.  Been hard but ive kept it up. I love my rice and pasta and bread especially the homemade sourdough I make. 

Last night about 10 oclock started getting a slight pain in my foot like Id been wearing slightly small shoes too long. It got worse and worse just on my big toe until I could barely sleep last night.  Couldnt think of anything ive done to it. Anyhow bit of research on the net net today. I think ive diagnosed gout. GOUT ffs. How the fuck is that possible.  

12 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Made a concerted effort to go low low carbs over the last 10 days with zero tolerance to sugar and wheat products.  Been hard but ive kept it up. I love my rice and pasta and bread especially the homemade sourdough I make. 

Last night about 10 oclock started getting a slight pain in my foot like Id been wearing slightly small shoes too long. It got worse and worse just on my big toe until I could barely sleep last night.  Couldnt think of anything ive done to it. Anyhow bit of research on the net net today. I think ive diagnosed gout. GOUT ffs. How the fuck is that possible.  

Increased protein due to going low carb has probably caused the gout.