DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What is your ideal weight?

Andersen

Out of curiousity I had a look at some "Healthy weight for your height" type websites. Interesting to note that calculations using older formulae give a higher recommended weight than more recent systems. Food for thought or a bit of fun if nothing else ...

A decent comparison site https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html 

Using default values on the site, the 1964 formula recommends 77kg, the 1974 formula drops this to 75kg, the 1983 formulas drop it again to 71kg or  72kg. The healthly weight according to the "modern" system is at least 5kg less than that from the traditional formula.

Weights.jpg.837ce55b0ecca55e602d4903df7215ec.jpg

Edited by Andersen
  • Informative 3
JoeDavola

Doesn't take into account your frame i.e. some people have a naturally slimmer build.

The other important thing they miss is body fat percentage. Someone could be skinnyfat in the healthy weight range but with no muscle and lots of fat. Someone else could be overweight but it's all muscle.

The healthiest bodyweight is probably the highest amount of muscle you can maintain while keeping your body fat to about 12-15%.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
Frank Hovis

image.png.03df40c08736f5a1c4ada6c959d5f5fe.png

Rightish.  I have a big build plus not much in the way of neck length and regard my ideal weight as 13.5 - 14 st which is the weight range in which I can jog comfortably indefinitely; well within reason anyway.

The absolute top of those ranges is 189.5lbs 13.5st which would be bordering on skinny.

170 / 12st would be Burma railway levels of thinness and 140 / 10st would be dead.

There does need to be an adjuster for slight / middle / big builds which would also take account of length of neck.

This scumbag antifa giraffe neck (not Tucker) has about six inches of neck over Gladstone Small and neck doesn't weigh very much.

WI5AzzhEmLq9YsNQVQncAZmR181sCZkza1q0NjyB

small-gladstone-image.jpg

Edited by Frank Hovis
  • Lol 1
JoeDavola
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Rightish.  I have a big build plus not much in the way of neck length and regard my ideal weight as 13.5 - 14 st which is the weight range in which I can jog comfortably indefinitely; well within reason anyway.

The absolute top of those ranges is 189.5lbs 13.5st which would be bordering on skinny.

170 / 12st would be Burma railway levels of thinness and 140 / 10st would be dead.

There does need to be an adjuster for slight / middle / big builds which would also take account of length of neck.

This scumbag antifa giraffe neck (not Tucker) has about six inches of neck over Gladstone Small and neck doesn't weigh very much.

Yeah I'm a giraffe neck 6 foot 2 and feel fine at about 140.

I do wonder what I'd look like at 170-180; whether I'd actually be able to put that much weight on and most of it be muscle, or would I just end up with 30 pounds of fat and look like a fat skinny person.

• Agree 1
stop_the_craziness
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have never noticed people's necks.  Giraffe-man is outstanding.  My ex could never understand how I never noticed other people's teeth either.  I am pretty much face-blind so it's all just an amorphous mass to me for most of the time.  I must look harder, those three examples are amazingly different.

snaga
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Doesn't take into account your frame i.e. some people have a naturally slimmer build.

The other important thing they miss is body fat percentage. Someone could be skinnyfat in the healthy weight range but with no muscle and lots of fat. Someone else could be overweight but it's all muscle.

The healthiest bodyweight is probably the highest amount of muscle you can maintain while keeping your body fat to about 12-15%.

I wonder if this is why ideal body weight has been dropping over the decades? the expectation is that people today typically have less muscle, so the ideal weight needs to drop to keep body fat percentage constant?

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
invalid
6 minutes ago, snaga said:

I wonder if this is why ideal body weight has been dropping over the decades? the expectation is that people today typically have less muscle, so the ideal weight needs to drop to keep body fat percentage constant?

I was thinking the same, perhaps due to less manual labor in modern times.

Back in the 60's from a medical point of view it might have been seen as desirable for people to gain a bit of weight when you have a skinny population following the war.

SpectrumFX

I'm just under 6 ft.

I've got as low as 12 and a half stone, and could probably go as low as 12 stone and still be just about a healthy weight. I wouldn't want to be any thinner than that.

At the moment lockdown has got me up to 14 stone. Last time I was this heavy was when I lived 5 minutes walk from work, and I was going to the pub most lunchtimes.

xD

Libspero
6 hours ago, Andersen said:

Out of curiousity I had a look at some "Healthy weight for your height" type websites. Interesting to note that calculations using older formulae give a higher recommended weight than more recent systems.

According to that calculator my ideal weight is 70 kg,  and my maximum healthy weight is 81kg.

I find that funny,  because when I was at my most healthy,  most fit and without an ounce of fat on me,  I was touching 90kg.

• Agree 2
Andersen

As mentioned, a lot depends if you are carrying muscle or fat. My weight now is more than it ever has been in the past, highest then was when I was doing office based work (not a lot of muscle), now I'm moving around for most of the day so it's muscle not fat.

Getting down to my 1964 "ideal" weight would be a struggle but do'able, getting down to the 1980's "ideal" would IMO be unhealthy.

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I have never noticed people's necks.  Giraffe-man is outstanding.  My ex could never understand how I never noticed other people's teeth either.  I am pretty much face-blind so it's all just an amorphous mass to me for most of the time.  I must look harder, those three examples are amazingly different.

Um, what are you looking at then? 

:P

7 hours ago, Andersen said:

Out of curiousity I had a look at some "Healthy weight for your height" type websites. Interesting to note that calculations using older formulae give a higher recommended weight than more recent systems. Food for thought or a bit of fun if nothing else ...

A decent comparison site https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html 

Using default values on the site, the 1964 formula recommends 77kg, the 1974 formula drops this to 75kg, the 1983 formulas drop it again to 71kg or  72kg. The healthly weight according to the "modern" system is at least 5kg less than that from the traditional formula.

Weights.jpg.837ce55b0ecca55e602d4903df7215ec.jpg

That Johnny Wilkinson bloke was a right fat cunt when he was a top professional rugby player, according to that calculator - he was 89kg and should have been max 74kg. Nuff said.

image.png

Long time lurking
9 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Exactly i had probably less than 15% body fat 15 years ago and was 14-8 ish stone those calculators put me at around the 11.5 stone mark

Edited by Long time lurking
stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Oooh Matron!

stop_the_craziness

Bizarrely for women it looks like it's gone the other way and you can be heavier now than you could in the past.  This is what I got:

Formula Ideal Weight
Robinson (1983) 57.4 kgs
Miller (1983) 59.8 kgs
Devine (1974) 56.9 kgs
Hamwi (1964) 56.4 kgs
Healthy BMI Range 50.4 - 68.1 kgs
  • Lol 1
swiss_democracy_for_all
9 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Bizarrely for women it looks like it's gone the other way and you can be heavier now than you could in the past.  This is what I got:

Formula Ideal Weight
Robinson (1983) 57.4 kgs
Miller (1983) 59.8 kgs
Devine (1974) 56.9 kgs
Hamwi (1964) 56.4 kgs
Healthy BMI Range 50.4 - 68.1 kgs

Contraceptive pills? The first one in 1964 is before it was approved in the UK for unmarried women. I remember boy's discussions at school (70s/80s) regarding who we thought was taking the pill according to their changing shape.

tlc
18 hours ago, Andersen said:

Interesting to note that calculations using older formulae give a higher recommended weight than more recent systems.

Looks like that's for men. Men in the 60's would have being doing more manual labour, so higher muscle mass and weight?

Women in the older formulae recommendations are lighter.

Mine

ormula Ideal Weight
Robinson (1983) 50.7 kgs
Miller (1983) 54.5 kgs
Devine (1974) 47.9 kgs
Hamwi (1964) 47.8 kgs
Healthy BMI Range 44.4 - 60.1 kgs

Ooops Crazi got there before me! :)

spunko

I can't get too thin or I look in the mirror and look a lot like my dad when he was effectively starved to death* by  the Wonderful NHS terminal cancer.

Currently weigh ~80.5kg. I'd look like Chris Frome if I weighed 10kg less (11 stone). Ideal weight would be about 77kg.

Screenshot_2021-03-29 Ideal Weight Calculator.png

snaga
10 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Bizarrely for women it looks like it's gone the other way and you can be heavier now than you could in the past.

Men & Women now have the same daily recommended calorie intake, so they need to equalize their weight, or perhaps because they have been equalizing their weight they now need to level up calorie intake?

here's mine, I'm 72Kg so almost ideal for 1964 :)

image.png.c47d3b1c8b046da79b19d7b64ed1c783.png

I notice that only the BMI range seems to factor in age, which it news to me, I thought BMI was just a simple weight/height ratio?

Frank Hovis
14 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

You're forgetting that @stop_the_craziness works in IT and like all outgoing IT people identifies others by looking at their shoes when talking to them.

The non-outgoing IT people look at their own shoes instead.

• Lol 3
  • Cheers 1
Hail the Tripod
On 28/03/2021 at 15:08, Frank Hovis said:

ECAA15E5-DA28-4BB1-A778-046B8106B596.gif

• Lol 1
Frank Hovis

Is that genuine?

If so that beats footballer Stefan Maierhofer.

maierhofer_300_02.jpg

Hail the Tripod
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Is that genuine?

Apparently it is genuine, although the relative angle and posture overemphasise it. It makes me wonder how much worse it would have looked without the enormous shoulder pads...

• Agree 1
Warlord Velmoth
5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Apparently it is genuine, although the relative angle and posture overemphasise it. It makes me wonder how much worse it would have looked without the enormous shoulder pads...

I really don't want to be the pissing on the campfire, fact-stating, fun-destroying cunt, but its just a piss take of the aftermath of this tackle he took:

tenor.gif

• Informative 1
  • Lol 2
Stuey

6 foot 1, never weigh myself as I don't have scales but am around 13 stone at a guess.

I was 11st 11 when I went to uni, and hit 17st 10 after a year of working and having money to spend on booze. So I kind of disagree that people have a "build" that forces a certain weight ...