• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Do you ever wonder how the NHS manages to spend so much money?

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

For years companies and government departments have shunned training their own people, it fell out of fashion from the mid 1980s with the rise of accountancy software, desktop PCs and management pricks who pushed the line that they could save money by shutting down training centres etc. From Engineering/Transport/Power/Utilities through to the Public sector it was all the rage to improve 'the bottom line'.

They reaped a huge skills gap, the rise of agency supplied workers and now the mass importation of 'skills' that other countries have trained, most often very poorly.

This nations biggest enemy is its own government and toads with spreadsheets.

Plus foreign trained health and other skilled workers should stay in their home nations to cure their own countries ills rather than draining them of skills and intelligence.

Any kind of decent skills training and employer responsibility went out the window and was finished by the mid 90s. NVQs were introduced in the late 80s and as everyone knows, stands for not very qualified. The race to the bottom in vocational education was finished a long time ago. Sad given that the apprenticeship system predates Elizabeth I 

3 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's a good thing that we haven't gone and done something monumentally stupid like place a hard limit on the number of medical training places.

xD

http://www.hospitaldr.co.uk/blogs/our-news/end-limit-medical-training-places-reduce-dependency-overseas-doctors

And then charge those that do get a place 9k a year. Madness, just fecking madness. How many places would the 100m they are planning to give to employment agencies fund?  (Come on, I know there are a good few mathematicians on here). 

I'm an NHS employee in a non clinical but important 'paper shuffling'role. My Head of Dept is finding it hard to get permission from her superiors to replace permanent employees yet we have to rely on some temp staff to keep things ticking over. :(

1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

I'm an NHS employee in a non clinical but important 'paper shuffling'role. My Head of Dept is finding it hard to get permission from her superiors to replace permanent employees yet we have to rely on some temp staff to keep things ticking over. :(

I like having a few temps, we have a couple of semi-retired people who we can call in when busy. It's not contractual and they can always say no but it seems an ideal resource: very experienced, keen, happy with whatever work they're given.

I kept someone on at my last place after they retired at 65, few days a month at a busy time, worked brilliantly.  The HR guy with the MBA was all huffy about it because it slewed his precious stats.