• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Would you boycott this coffe shop or consider the owner a hero?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-41100226

The owner of a cafe with a no children under 12 policy has hit back at critics calling for a boycott of his shop. 

The Chart Room, in Brixham, Devon is an ocean-liner themed coffee lounge which also houses antiques and collectables. 

Bob Higginson said it was designed for people to experience the "opulence and splendour of early steamship travel without distraction". 

But resident Wendy Moore said she would be boycotting the cafe, and calling on others to do so.

Depends whether you have young children or not really!

I don't see why someone without young children would object any more than they would object if an airline announced specific adults only flights.

(I've not been near badly behaved children on flights but I have heard from people who have)

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Depends whether you have young children or not really!

I don't see why someone without young children would object any more than they would object if an airline announced specific adults only flights.

(I've not been near badly behaved children on flights but I have heard from people who have)

I've walked out of places because of badly behaved children.  I'm not against them per se, having brought up two of my own.  What grates is the behaviour and that for some, they appear not to be able to conduct themselves without make a onstant noise. The parents seem to be able to block this out.  

It may be thenplaces a frequent but the badly behaved I come across are not those belonging to Wayne and Waynetta, but to so called middle class parents 

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Coffee shops are pretentious places full of airheads willing to pay a fiver for a cup of coffee.

I kind of hope your average 12 year-old would be pretty relieved to dodge the sheer tedium of ever stepping inside one...

XYY

There are ordinary coffee shops in was in the mission to seamen yesterday, 1.20 for a mug. Very nice too. 

Just now, spygirl said:

Tourist town.

Liner themed cafe.

Owner dresses up as Captain.

Bans kids.

Off the scale on the ragingometer.

If the guys not gay then hes going to have a massive shock.

Still gets my vote for banning kids. Nice to know that there is somewhere in that neck of the woods where you could have a quiet coffee. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I've walked out of places because of badly behaved children.  I'm not against them per se, having brought up two of my own.  What grates is the behaviour and that for some, they appear not to be able to conduct themselves without make a onstant noise. The parents seem to be able to block this out.  

It may be thenplaces a frequent but the badly behaved I come across are not those belonging to Wayne and Waynetta, but to so called middle class parents 

Middle class parents are the worst - our local GBK is always full of parents ignoring their shrieking kids at lunch time

Just now, This Time said:

Middle class parents are the worst - our local GBK is always full of parents ignoring their shrieking kids at lunch time

And god can they screech. Nonstop. It's as if they have some kind of mental disability. They just have to make noise. I would hate to be a primary school teacher. 

My local gastropub is famous for hating kids. But he hates everyone so that is OK.

A restaurant I knew very well in Portugal banned kids under 12 years old after 8pm. I thought that was a very sensible approach.

Young kids want to eat early. Adults want some adult time. Everyone happy.

The problem seems to be that parents think sitting down for a couple of hours with a coffee / beer / whatever is fine. Kids think anything over 20 minutes is dull as hell and go on a destructive rampage. And piss off everyone except the parents who don't appear to notice them.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

My local gastropub is famous for hating kids. But he hates everyone so that is OK.

A restaurant I knew very well in Portugal banned kids under 12 years old after 8pm. I thought that was a very sensible approach.

Young kids want to eat early. Adults want some adult time. Everyone happy.

The problem seems to be that parents think sitting down for a couple of hours with a coffee / beer / whatever is fine. Kids think anything over 20 minutes is dull as hell and go on a destructive rampage. And piss off everyone except the parents who don't appear to notice them.

I hate gastropubs.

And wine bars.

14 minutes ago, This Time said:

Whats a gbk?

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I hate gastropubs.

And wine bars.

Whats a gbk?

I see your inner northerner shining bright there Spy. xD

Edit to add, you would really hate all the gin palaces that are springing up everywhere 

Edited by One percent

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I hate gastropubs.

And wine bars.

Whats a gbk?

Me too. £25 for bangers and mash and a glass of wine is bollocks. But they are all we have round here which is why I don't eat out.

GBK is, I believe, Gourmet Burger Kitchen. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

JKs?  I think I am being a bit slow as it will be blindingly obvious. 

It's spy's ketboard. He meant KFC.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Me too. £25 for bangers and mash and a glass of wine is bollocks. But they are all we have round here which is why I don't eat out.

GBK is, I believe, Gourmet Burger Kitchen. 

It's spy's ketboard. He meant KFC.

Ah ta.  Different league to gkb. 

I was in the mission to seamen cafe yesterday. A fiver for lasagna. Home cooked too.  

I think it's fair enough and I've got kids.

Not everyone wants to be surrounded by screaming kids, especially when they are paying for the privilege. What's the point in boycotting it? Just fuck off somewhere else, it's not like half the pubs these days aren't geared up for children which does slightly boil my piss as I go to the pub to escape the kids for a while. Why do so many people aggressively insist that everyone else must accept their life choices, even if it's a pain in the arse to do so? It's never - 'No kids? Fine, let's go over there', 'but rather - 'How dare you not let me do everything I want even if it inconveniences others. The world shall adjust to my choices rather than me anknowledging that what I have chosen to do changes things! I'm boycotting you and going to the papers!'

Wankers.

All that said, I was taken out to dinner tonight to a large, popular pub that markets itself as being dog friendly (not my choice). It was kind of weird trying to eat a meal while half a dozen dogs milled about the tables, farting, sniffing each others arses and erupting in a volley of 'jump in your seat' barks every five bloody minutes or so. One dog was being fed from a plate, paws up on the table.

I'm sure the owners found it delightful, I thought it was totally fucking bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

All that said, I was taken out to dinner tonight to a large, popular pub that markets itself as being dog friendly (not my choice). It was kind of weird trying to eat a meal while half a dozen dogs milled about the tables, farting, sniffing each others arses and erupting in a volley of 'jump in your seat' barks every five bloody minutes or so. One dog was being fed from a plate, paws up on the table.

I'm sure the owners found it delightful, I thought it was totally fucking bizarre.

A classic example of being given an inch and taking a mile.

Ive spent some time in Germany and its completely normal there to take dogs into restaurants. The difference to what you've described though is that people have their dogs sit quietly under the table or chair, theres no dog/dog interaction and Im pretty sure that anyone would rapidy be shown the way to the door if they started feeding their dogs like that!