DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

are you getting a good night's sleep?

apples

do you sleep well?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210329/sleep-survey-pandemic-keeps-many-of-us-up-at-night

Fewer than 1 in 10 people say they get "very good sleep" at night – just one of several eye-opening findings about the state of sleep quality during the COVID-19 pandemic in new data from University College London researchers.

In a survey of more than 70,000 people, only 7.7% now report their sleep as "very good," for example, down from 39.4% in March 2020.

The survey PDF  has lots of interesting graphs about "compliance", confidence, depression, anxiety and stress.

Also self-harm, thoughts of death, life satisfaction, loneliness and happiness. All graphed over the last year.

Worth a look if you want a feel for how many people are getting fucked in the head because of this. Sleep section starts at page 59.

I haven't slept well for years. A good night's sleep is a rarity! Last night I woke up at half one from nightmares of house invaders, then was wide awake at half three. Finally fell asleep again, only to dream of having my old car stolen by scammers who I had given cash for a new car. Woke up late and tired! This is par for the course for me :(

• Informative 1

I probably sleep as well at the moment as I ever have done.

I never got the "point" of insomnia. Just do something else instead! If ever there was a self-correcting problem it's surely that.

Frank Hovis

I put "Yes, always have" but to refine that slightly I am sleeping less well now that I'm not working and having been limited by lockdown in what I can do.

When working full time with a commute there is a permanent background of tiredness that never really goes away so Iif I lay down in a darkened room at any hour of the day or night I would rapidly fall asleep.

Without that background of tiredness I am getting a degree of sleeplessness but I think that preferable to being permanently tired.

That said I do feel a bit bushed at the moment because I was out walking before seven this morning to see the height of the spring tide.

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod

I have always needed about 8 hours sleep a night. When I was younger I would occasionally sleep a solid 12 hours if nothing woke me up, but these days I just wake up after 8 and get up. Wife still sleeps a solid 12 hours if left alone.

29 minutes ago, eight said:

I never got the "point" of insomnia. Just do something else instead! If ever there was a self-correcting problem it's surely that.

You would think, but mine doesn't work that way.

Many of the "something else"s that I want to do are impacted by not having slept well. Also future things too. If I get up and do something at half three in the morning, I know it's going to be more difficult to do things at nine. So there's a danger of getting stuck in a rut of low-grade activity, watching crap, etc, when you want to have clarity to think. Even exercising isn't as good when I haven't slept properly. Obvious, but demoralizing when you lose reps from all your sets :(

Really envious of @Frank Hovis's ability to fall asleep when he's tired!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

The way they have played Covid hasn't altered my sleep a bit.  Fall asleep within seconds but often wake up at 3am.  Some podcasts are great for falling back to sleep.  Not the content, just some people have that voice!

• Agree 1

Monday & Tuesday can be ropey if coming down from weekend shenanigans, by Wednesday I'm usually fine.

Standard is usually sleeping 8pm-midnight, reading for an hour, then off again 1am-5am. 

Andersen

2 things that stop me getting quality sleep are stress / worry,  and wild parties ( if I have visitors the losing a few nights sleep isn’t important). I’m chilled about life at the mo’ so my sleep patterns are great.

A Fitbit’ish exercise watch gave useful info when I was wearing it overnight.

0AE415DD-DC8B-43F7-9604-8BC939FA29C3.png

I normally sleep fine. However last Friday night neither or us could sleep. So we got up at 10am, made a roast dinner, ate it, and then went back to bed until 6PM.

• Lol 2

Hopeful

Interestingly, as I posted elsewhere, I took 2mg melatonin over the winter as a covid prophylactic. I stopped a week ago.

A few nights after I started taking the hormone I noticed I was no longer waking up to piss in the middle of the night and urine volume was also reduced in the morning.

I stopped taking the tablets on 21st March as was always my plan.

Now, I am again waking up in the middle of the night to piss and urine volume has increased.

It makes evolutionary sense that a sleep-inducing hormone would reduce urine output so that you neither wet your bed while asleep nor have disturbed sleep.

Melatonin production declines as we age, getting up to piss in the night increases as we age.

Lo and behold, in rats, melatonin reduces urine production and increases bladder capacity

Source

Edited by Hopeful
  • Informative 5

SpectrumFX

I'm usually the same as Frank, turn the lights out and I'm in the land of nod.

Last few months my sleep had been awful. Lockdown gave me a shitload more work to do in much more difficult circumstances. I've also been having issues with my neighbours which isn't great when you're stuck in the house 24/7. I've taken a couple of weeks off work, and a few days into it things are picking up. I had over 9 hours sleep last night.

Malthus

Sleeping much better since I cut way back on the booze 

Not tee total but only had the odd glass of wine this year, lost over a stone in weight as well which is a bonus 😀

mattydread
6 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I'm usually the same as Frank, turn the lights out and I'm in the land of nod.

Last few months my sleep had been awful. Lockdown gave me a shitload more work to do in much more difficult circumstances. I've also been having issues with my neighbours which isn't great when you're stuck in the house 24/7. I've taken a couple of weeks off work, and a few days into it things are picking up. I had over 9 hours sleep last night.

What's going on with the neighbours?

Asking for a friend as I think he lives very close to you:)

My lifelong insomnia went after going carnivore.

That way of eating isn't for everyone but for chronic insomniacs, an elimination diet to see if certain food groups cause insomnia is worth a try.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Only ever once had insomnia and it was shitty. Lasted for a few weeks, one of the worst periods of my life - was around 2007 IIRC.

Other than that I sleep like a baby, I try not to think about COVID-19 or the side effects as they're beyond my control. If my business was up the shitter I'd be sleeping a lot less, but thankfully it's okay now. Usually I get 8 hours a night too.

JoeDavola

My sleep is often pretty poor, but thankfully only for one day a a time, very rarely get several successive days of bad sleep.

Didn't sleep last night because I was stressed about a meeting this morning in work. When work stress does come along I handle it worse than usual because of the rest of the shit that's happening at the moment.

Ended up getting up for a piss 3 times during the night.

Exausted today. And the meeting was a shit show as expected (through no fault of my own), but annoying as it looks like a month or so's difficult work I did earlier in the year was for no reason at all because the highers up didn't do their due dilligence, and also had the work trivialized by someone a couple levels up as "ah well at least you had something new to play with", as if I'm sat playing Mario Kart for a living.

So after this morning's shit show, I will doing fuck all work today. I'll find something new to play with instead.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

What’s your favourite chocolate?

I went to my doctor, who's a Geordie, and told him my shit smells like coconut.

He replied, Aye man, it's boun'ty.

Edited by eight
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 3

I went to my doctor for a check up and he said "Don't eat anything fatty"

I said "What like sausages and burgers?"

He said "No, just don't eat anything, Fatty"

• Lol 10

Napoleon Dynamite

Used to sleep like a log 8 hours a night.  Now I quite regularly wake at 3 or 4 ish and quite often struggle with getting back to sleep.  Not entirely sure why.  Pretty much out like a light when my head hits the pillow at 10ish.   

Maybe having kids changed things.  Had no choice but to share the load on kids, but they've been sleeping through for years now, so that's not it.

Will end up ruminating on things I could really do with forgetting about whilst not being able to get comfortable.  Not COVID related, don't even think about that.

Oddly I've found a heavy blanket helps me get back off to sleep.

• Agree 1

The Generation Game

I've generally always slept well. I'm struggling a bit at the moment because I'm going to bed too late (not least from catching up on here - arguably I could blame that on WuFlu) so keep grabbing an hour nap in my lunch hour to perk me up. 

Hopefully I'll catch up this long weekend and my body will adapt to the new normal (summer time).