• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Malthus

University Challenge

It's a strange format with some odd contestants but I've always enjoyed it 

Got my personal best of 14 correct answers last week 

Any one claim better ? 

Edited by Malthus
Spelling , my weak subject

12 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Any one claim better ? 

I got 7 in a row on Catchphrase. Does that count?

You're a genius. :)

I normally get 8 questions right, followed by an embarrassment of shouting out the wrong answers...followed by the majority of questions I don't understand. 

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I got 7 in a row on Catchphrase. Does that count?

No...you're a thickie   :D

14 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Any one claim better ? 

I saw one episode where some Cambridge or was it oxford grad won the quiz single handed. Where do they learn all this useless information?

1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

I saw one episode where some Cambridge or was it oxford grad won the quiz single handed. Where do they learn all this useless information?

Oxford or Cambridge? 

1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

That's a puzzle...they seem to amass an enormous amount of trivia

20 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I saw an episode last year where one contestant didn't have a clue and didn't make any contribution and tried to stay 'grey' throughout the whole process.  

Poor woman...I felt really sorry for her but couldn't take my eyes off her.

My dad got to the quarter finals or something in the early 70s, won a massive ('shorter') Oxford English Dictionary for his trouble.

About 10 years ago he entered University Challenge - The Professionals, and his team won the series.

I flunked out of university.

2 hours ago, Green Devil said:

A lot of the questions feature aspects of current A-level course syllabi.

Once upon a time I was a good choice for any type of quiz team but actually, post internet, I've sort of trained myself not to remember too much unnecessary information and only how to find what I need with google - although it might have been better when mankind stored its knowledge in libraries rather than mixed in with a messy pile of funny cat videos and pictures of naked ladies.

7 hours ago, Malthus said:

Any one claim better ? 

My top score is 155. It's probably the only programme I watch on the so-called BBC.

6 hours ago, Dipsy said:

My top score is 155. It's probably the only programme I watch on the so-called BBC.

Me too, although I'm disappointed to see that even this institution of a programme has been progressively invaded by more and more transgendered sorts. Last year we had Sophie Rudd, who admittedly was very clever, but this year I've counted  three possible ones in just two programmes. It's a bit odd. I suppose it's one way of getting round the So-Called BBC female to male quotas. Badum tish!

It gets harder after the 1st round finishes, I find I know quite a few of the questions in the first round but practically none thereafter.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The one from 2 weeks ago, I didn't catch their first names. I thought the long-haired guy on the right  left was just that - a guy with long hair. Why is he calling himself Flora? O.o

Yeah, that one's definitely a bloke -you can see his Adam's apple.

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The one from 2 weeks ago, I didn't catch their first names. I thought the long-haired guy on the right  left was just that - a guy with long hair. Why is he calling himself Flora? O.o

When he came on the screen my wife, being even less politically correct than me, literally shouted out "What the fuck is that?" xD

5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Because he's clearly a boy who self-identifies as a girl.

It's all the rage nowadays. Do keep up.

:)

It is getting so common now I found myself wondering if it might actually be something in the water.

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

When he came on the screen my wife, being even less politically correct than me, literally shouted out "What the fuck is that?" xD

There doesn't appear to be any reasonable attempt to even pass as a woman, except the long hair. I don't know, I just find it so... befuddling.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It is getting so common now I found myself wondering if it might actually be something in the water.

There doesn't appear to be any reasonable attempt to even pass as a woman, except the long hair. I don't know, I just find it so... befuddling.

It certainly is on University Challenge, there have been several that were pretty noticeable this season. Mind you the people who feature on it are outliers who probably become obsessively focused on all sorts of odd things, so it may be substantially more common than in the general population.

"Child Prodigy",  James Charles Harries, later on became Lauren Harries

0000249da-Lauren_Charlotte_Harries.jpg

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

It certainly is on University Challenge, there have been several that were pretty noticeable this season. Mind you the people who feature on it are outliers who probably become obsessively focused on all sorts of odd things, so it may be substantially more common than in the general population.

"Child Prodigy",  James Charles Harries, later on became Lauren Harries

0000249da-Lauren_Charlotte_Harries.jpg

Oh Lord not her/him!! I'm still trying to scrub the mental image out of my head from this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4799148/Lauren-Harries-39-holidays-Spain-Connor-Yemm-21.html

The boy must be a very confused young man.

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Oh Lord not her/him!! I'm still trying to scrub the mental image out of my head from this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4799148/Lauren-Harries-39-holidays-Spain-Connor-Yemm-21.html

Oh, I didn't realise (s)he's now famous again as a reality TV star.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Oh, I didn't realise (s)he's now famous again as a reality TV star.

Unfortunately. One of the comments made me laugh: she's the only "39" year old with liver spots I know of. O.o

Blokes generally do not make fabulous women. I like University challenge. Those people should come to my local, and have the piss taken out of them relentlessly, and then get beaten up for quoting some old Greek git.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I think he's desperate for fame at any price because he doesn't want to work; I haven't had half a Daily Mail story decided to me and he has already in his early twenties.

His reality show career is just beginning; you'll have the two of them watching TV for Gogglebox, trip to the jungle.

Just keep the freak show spinning and the money keeps coming in; he'll probably be next in the queue for Katona or Price after this one.