• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
mattydread

The Smiths - any fans on here?

Didn't Morrissey rip off Johnny Marr and one of the others when they split? Just what I heard anyway. I think the band split up under a dark cloud. Can't see a reunion ever happening.

My favourite Smiths track is: 'There is a light that will never go out'. B|

4 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Didn't Morrissey rip off Johnny Marr and one of the others when they split? Just what I heard anyway. I think the band split up under a dark cloud. Can't see a reunion ever happening.

My favourite Smiths track is: 'There is a light that will never go out'. B|

Mozza ripped em all. There will be a money spinner. Guaranteed

I'd do small organ to see these fuckers live

Edited by mattydread

I went through a stage of liking them, and Morrissey as a solo artist, but I have to be in the right mood, otherwise I find him to be a bloody misery. If they do tour live I wouldn't mind seeing them, but I think it's unlikely, neither of them seem to be particularly, erm, affable. O.o (I do agree with Morrissey's attitude to a lot of things, mind).

Bigmouth or possibly There is a Light That Never Goes Out is my favourite. I quite like the Placebo cover, too.

Really like the Smiths, never really 'got' them when I was younger, then got to uni and listened to their lyrics, very, very clever.  Wasn't an all out smith fan as few of my friends were, just appreciated the tunes and lyrics.  Very good songwriting.

Found solo Morrisey interesting but as others have said a bit fucking too much of the miserableness.  Can only take in short doses. Favourite track is How Soon is Now

On 9/1/2017 at 15:03, mattydread said:

Mozza ripped em all. There will be a money spinner. Guaranteed

I'd do small organ to see these fuckers live

The Smiths WAS Morrissey. Nobody would have even heard of The Smiths without Morrissey's acerbic wit and lyrics. I hated The Smiths until I heard this song, then I understood the poetry in Morrisseys' lyrics. 

Amazing band. Funny and clever lyrics. 

I find some of their songs strangely uplifting. William it was really nothing for example. 

How can you stay with a fat girl who'll say: 
"Oh! Would you like to marry me? 
"And if you like you can buy the ring" 

:) sounds like a DOSBODS song

33 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Quite possibly the greatest bad ever. I'd guess that there will never be a reunion - Morrisey's a bit hit and miss live these days anyway, so there's a good chance that a reunion might end up looking like a crap tribute band.

I wonder who the crappest band to have a tribute band are?

There was a grup of us at school who got The Smiths immediately on seeing This Charming Man on the telly.   Bought all the albums up to, I think, Hatful of Hollow, developed a penchant for cardigans and saw them live at the now-demolished Cornwall Coliseum in Carlyon Bay in 1984; first concert for me.

The crowd was just jumping, they were much rockier live than you would expect.  I did manage to grab a sleeve of one of Mozzer's blouses which he chuked into the audience and we divvied it up between us.

I drifted away when Morrissey went solo but have liked some of those - First of the Gang to Die particularly stood out.

The court case was brought by Andy Rourke IIRC with Mike Joyce having accepted an out of court settlement; Andy Rourke won.

I didn't think that there was a huge falling out between Morrissey and Marr so that might happen again, and Andy and Mike might have forgiven by now and be up for the cash.