• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

council job - increasing access to qualify private rented sector accommodation for households in need in Oldham.

Role overview 

https://www.greater.jobs/search-and-apply/job-details/G8/OL-8797/
To develop and co-ordinate strategies and policies to improve access into higher quality private rented housing in the Borough and to maximise the contribution that the private rented sector can make in meeting housing need.

• To take a lead role in the development of a broad range of strategic housing plans, projects and initiatives relating to the private rented sector and to help meet identified objectives in support of Oldham's Housing Strategy and associated or linked corporate documents.
  • To take the lead in proactively increasing access to qualify private rented sector accommodation for households in need in Oldham.

35 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Role overview 

https://www.greater.jobs/search-and-apply/job-details/G8/OL-8797/
To develop and co-ordinate strategies and policies to improve access into higher quality private rented housing in the Borough and to maximise the contribution that the private rented sector can make in meeting housing need.

• To take a lead role in the development of a broad range of strategic housing plans, projects and initiatives relating to the private rented sector and to help meet identified objectives in support of Oldham's Housing Strategy and associated or linked corporate documents.
  • To take the lead in proactively increasing access to qualify private rented sector accommodation for households in need in Oldham.

Have you a copy in English, it's making no sense to me at all. What exactly will this person do? 

After reading the OP and being confused about what the job was I opened the link. The job title is Principal Housing Market Intervention Officer.

I'm still confused O.o

I'm also very fed up of paying council tax to pay for these made up council non jobs!

27 minutes ago, One percent said:

Have you a copy in English, it's making no sense to me at all. What exactly will this person do? 

I assume in the subject that  qualify should actually be quality.

I think it's a bollocks job made up by a bollocks council. 

Mrs 10 kid rolls into council office.

Your job is to google for houses to rent then ring up and see if they take dss.

Thats it.

Councils should give houses to people who are working in low paid jobs and have a local connection. Everyone else is put in a house share. The market would dort utself out with that.

A born and bred local recently related their tale about council housing woes to me.

The female had been married for a number of years and "bought" a house with her partner. It didn't work out so the house was sold with no mad gains for either party. As a worker and looking for a home she applied for a council house. Childness so no chance! The initial application was about 8 years ago.

The most annoying factor for this person was that she knew of a polish woman plus three kids who had arrived in the town (within the last 8 years) and got allocated a council house. The polish woman did work but in a minimum paid job. This is correct because I know who she referred to.

Polish woman applied for a transfer to another local town in this region and got it. The council transfer house has been "bought" and polish woman has "bought" a house in Poland to go back to.

Now, I don't know how much of the two houses in question are owned by the polish buyer but it does illustrate the resentment felt by born and bred brits who have worked all their lives and see others coming to uk and getting on better than them.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

During the 2000s I was in and out of work with alarming regularity. The job ads from the council all read like the one in Sarah's OP and used to scramble my brain. FFS just tell me the tasks involved with the job in a few bullet points.

10 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

A born and bred local recently related their tale about council housing woes to me.

The female had been married for a number of years and "bought" a house with her partner. It didn't work out so the house was sold with no mad gains for either party. As a worker and looking for a home she applied for a council house. Childness so no chance! The initial application was about 8 years ago.

The most annoying factor for this person was that she knew of a polish woman plus three kids who had arrived in the town (within the last 8 years) and got allocated a council house. The polish woman did work but in a minimum paid job. This is correct because I know who she referred to.

Polish woman applied for a transfer to another local town in this region and got it. The council transfer house has been "bought" and polish woman has "bought" a house in Poland to go back to.

Now, I don't know how much of the two houses in question are owned by the polish buyer but it does illustrate the resentment felt by born and bred brits who have worked all their lives and see others coming to uk and getting on better than them.

Stories like this really want to make me blow steam out of my ears. >:(

I'm on my local authority's housing register. Coincidentally, they sent me a re-registry form today. As a full time employee (earning well under £20k) and with no children the council deem he as a 'low priority'. OK, so I'm not homeless but I'm paying 47% of my net income to a private landlord for a 1 br flat. My landlord can serve me 2 months notice to quit.

An opportunity to pay less rent, have a secure tenancy and save some more £ for the future would be good. After all, Ros Altmann and other financial experts tell us that we should be saving £400-£600 a month if we want a decent standard of living in retirement. That's not achievable for many private tenants.

My local council are building brand new council homes which is great. However, not in the numbers that is required.

29 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Madness, just pure fucking madness. 

10 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

During the 2000s I was in and out of work with alarming regularity. The job ads from the council all read like the one in Sarah's OP and used to scramble my brain. FFS just tell me the tasks involved with the job in a few bullet points.

Stories like this really want to make me blow steam out of my ears. >:(

I'm on my local authority's housing register. Coincidentally, they sent me a re-registry form today. As a full time employee (earning well under £20k) and with no children the council deem he as a 'low priority'. OK, so I'm not homeless but I'm paying 47% of my net income to a private landlord for a 1 br flat. My landlord can serve me 2 months notice to quit.

An opportunity to pay less rent, have a secure tenancy and save some more £ for the future would be good. After all, Ros Altmann and other financial experts tell us that we should be saving £400-£600 a month if we want a decent standard of living in retirement. That's not achievable for many private tenants.

My local council are building brand new council homes which is great. However, not in the numbers that is required.

Well not if we keep importing the world's dross, no. 

10 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Stories like this really want to make me blow steam out of my ears.

As you probably know you are at the bottom of the pile for handouts like council housing and tax credits because you are single, working and childless. The system is so wrong!

I think it's disgusting that anyone has to pay 47% of their income to a landlord and, as you've stated, for a 1 bed place. 

I'm not destitute but retirement doesn't look really rosy to me because of lack of income/low pension. No opportunity to set money aside for me or I would have done so!

Ros Altman is an establishment whore IMO. Her own nest will be well feathered but meantime she'll say what's expected to the masses and the majority of the masses simply can't save even £400pm because they don't earn enough!

IMHO, the "right to buy" was ill conceved". Selling off council housing, when they should have been building more!O.o Of course some people made a few bob out of it, and you can't blame them. There seems to be a need for a reasonable place at a reasonable rent, which private landlords sometimes do not provide.

7 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Free solar power for everyone! Oh, hold on, no - it's just free solar power for those who are already getting free/cheap housing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41122433

The firm providing the panels, Solarplicity, will work with more than 40 social landlords, including local authorities across England and Wales.

It will profit from the payments received under the feed-in tariff scheme and payments for energy from social housing customers.