DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Blythe Gigafactory

spygirl

One of the funniest things I heard on the radio over the last few weeks was a PM on radio 4 where the tech reporter was going on about this gigafactory.  At the end Evan Davies said something along the lines of 'one thing I've been dying to ask -- why  exactly is it called a gigafactory?'  The tech reporter's twaddle-monged reply reminded me of this:

• Agree 1
  • Lol 5
  • Cheers 1

One percent
4 minutes ago, dgul said:

One of the funniest things I heard on the radio over the last few weeks was a PM on radio 4 where the tech reporter was going on about this gigafactory.  At the end Evan Davies said something along the lines of 'one thing I've been dying to ask -- why  exactly is it called a gigafactory?'  The tech reporter's twaddle-monged reply reminded me of this:

Go on, I’ll bite. What’s one of these then? 

One percent
Just now, Chewing Grass said:

doh, cos' its bigger than a Mega Factory, even then a Tera Factory would be so much better.

Oh, so it’s not a factory making gigas then?  

9 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

doh, cos' its bigger than a Mega Factory, even then a Tera Factory would be so much better.

That was pretty much the response.  Everything is giga these days, gigabytes, uh, giga.

leonardratso

lexx existed in the gigaverse did it not? with stanely tweedle (boris johnson) at the controls and zev(carrie) running the show. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, One percent said:

if you're interested there's one going up outside Berlin https://cleantechnica.com/2021/04/05/3-videos-tours-of-tesla-giga-berlin-progress/

I believe they had to destroy a few forests and the associated wildlife habitats in the process :CryBaby:

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, One percent said:

Coz Cokey Elon named it.

But thats my point.

Gigafactory are a Tesla thang.

And you cant just built a building - with public money - which seems to be what they are angling at. And suddenly expect a LiON factory to suddenly appear.

Teslas factories, which are v good, came about due to Teslas demand for LION batteries being ~1000x(? more) what a laptop needs.

This sounds like a joint venture between some crooks and properdee developers.

• Informative 1

You can see the logic 

Electric cars need batteries - where the batteries are built the car building will follow (mainly because you don't want to ship li-ion batteries around unless surrounded by a large metal package that protects the dangerous batteries).

But as you say where is the expertise to build those batteries in the partnership building the factory?

Edited by eek
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2021 at 08:10, spygirl said:

This sounds like a joint venture between some crooks and properdee developers.

It sounds like you know Blyth & Northumberland politicians well xD 

No need to comply with planning requirements if you're a Blyth councillor (eg Barry Elliott) https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/former-ukip-councillor-told-must-14298742

It's not an isolated report, Blyth cafe ordered to close after operating without council permission (cafe chairman Barry Elliott & several staff - all members of his family, face redundancy) https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/chairman-banned-blyth-cafe-hopes-7911634 Other reports from the time quote him as saying he has no idea why the Council are taking action / no idea what he's done wrong.

If you have time (too many to list!) search for "Ian Lavery MP scandal" https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ian+lavery+scandal

Legal developments inc Bylth Power station site (Gigafactory prep??) can be closed illegally by Council bodies (but only if brown envelopes don't reach the right people?). Aug 2020: Council face £5.5M compo claim but since sap taxpayer is on the hook for the bill it's not a concern  https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumberland-county-council-could-exposed-18790307 

Remember, "They work for you" :wanker: 

Edited by Andersen
  • Agree 1

On 07/04/2021 at 21:17, dgul said:

That was pretty much the response.  Everything is giga these days, gigabytes, uh, giga.

Word up ma Giga

On 08/04/2021 at 23:56, spunko said:

Looks like another government money extraction scheme. , the solar farms have evolved into this. Strike while the iron Li-On is hot etc!

corrected for you

14 hours ago, Loki said:

Giga what?

you've answered yourself: GW

• 1 month later...

OK, looks like the hard bits done - 

Britishvolt gigafactory: 'Game changer' car battery plant approved

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-57742782

Now they just need someone to create the factory, design the batteries and build them.

Plans for a huge electric car battery "gigafactory" which it is claimed will create 3,000 jobs have been approved.

Northumberland County Council described the plant on the site of the former Blyth power station would be a "game changer."

It has granted planning permission to Britishvolt to build on the 235-acre (95 hectare) site.

The company said the plant would be operational by 2023 and bring "much needed" employment to the region.

It is hoped that the factory will eventually produce enough lithium-ion batteries for 300,000 electric cars a year by 2027.

Yeah right

Britishvolt's chairman, Peter Rolton, said: "This is a huge win, not only for Britishvolt, but also the people of Northumberland.

"The gigaplant will bring with it much need employment, totally regenerating the area.

"Britishvolt has a strong social values agenda, as well as a world-class environmental, social and governance framework.

"At our very heart is doing the right thing - this project is on the roadmap to a low carbon, sustainable future."

But not fucking car partner FFS.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/31/tesla-10000-people-gigafactory-texas-student-worker-effort/#:~:text=As Electrek reported earlier this,would employ over 5%2C000 people.

Tesla is going to hire over 10,000 employees at Gigafactory Texas over the next year. CEO Elon Musk has gotten involved in the recruiting effort, and Tesla has launched an initiative to try to hire student workers.

• Informative 1

Planning permission where you are offering jobs on a site which once provided jobs is almost automatic especially if you are the only game in town (as BritishVolt are).

The issue is that they have no customers and I just cannot see where their customers are going to come from..

5 hours ago, eek said:

Planning permission where you are offering jobs on a site which once provided jobs is almost automatic especially if you are the only game in town (as BritishVolt are).

The issue is that they have no customers and I just cannot see where their customers are going to come from..

No customers, no idea, no capital.

11 hours ago, Wheeler said:
  1. Get planning permission
  2. ?
  3. Profit

I once did a course on 'how to get funding for biggish projects'.

We'd finished the course and I thought something was missing.  "what about testing to see that the scientific/engineering concept works?" said I (in more words) .  The reply was something along the lines of "never do that.  It is the simple financial story that sells, not the complicated science.  The important thing is to get the funding and sort out the science/engineering problems later'.  That's always stuck with me whenever I see talk of a massive investment in something that involves non-trivial science/engineering.

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3