DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wordpress/Wix for blog

Jonty Willis the Third

Question

Jonty Willis the Third

What the best platform for blogging? I've narrowed it down to these two. WordPress seems good but it also seems quite difficult to set-up for a luddite such as myself. Not quite sure what to make of Wix, seems easier but I'm not sure if you have same freedom when you get started.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a technophobe?

5 answers to this question

ElKapitan84

Use Blogger.  It's free and almost as easy as creating a topic on here.  If you need to, you can customize it with a skin and custom URL.  I would not use Wix, IIRC, that's better for a static web page that'll rarely get updated.

• Informative 1

nirvana

I looked into this a while ago....all depends if you want to host it or not yourself....

If you're self-hosting on somefink like a raspberry pi or another dinky doo da like an orange pi that runs armbian I'd run nginx, and something python based.....I started playing with django and that's really cool..

Wordpress is over complicated for most......the above might sound complicated but so are some of these 'host interfaces' where you're dicking about with these 'cpanel' interface things

so yeah don't be a technophobe, go grass roots, there are quite a few IT geeks on here who'll help you out

Another reason I'd go self-hosting is complete control......once something is in the cloud it stays in the cloud....

You might be better off just posting a bit of shite on twatter, not really sure anyone gives a crap about blogs anymore lol

• Informative 1

I get a lot of stick but I love WordPress. You can create anything if you really want to, but admittedly it requires technical knowhow to take it beyond a blogging service.

If you're semi competent at using SSH, you can use SlickStack to run a WordPress server that's pretty much unshakeable, for $5 a month.

All you need to do is buy a Ubuntu server somewhere like Linode for $5 a month, then login to it using SSH and type:

wget -O ss slick.fyi && bash ss

Then follow the setup instructions. As long as you've already registered a domain it's pretty easy.

Kinsta is quite good too, but more expensive (but simpler/easier). The problem with WordPress is that it has a bad reputation becuase people rent a shitty shared server for £40 a year and install loads of bloatware on it.

The SlickStack solution I posted will make it blisteringly quick as well as it uses Nginx and PHP-FPM (no setup needed).

• Informative 3

https://slickstack.io is also quite DOSBODs minded.

Thus, before the likes of Google and Amazon and Shopify and Wix take over the entire web and turn it into Wall Street-backed website builders that feed into their private ecosystems, SlickStack hopes to bridge the knowledge gap between emerging technology and old-school web development to empower SMBs to achieve top notch website performance and security by offering a “controlled” LEMP-stack environment with limited options that is perfectly suited to the world’s most popular open-source CMS: WordPress.

• Informative 1

This Slickstack stack is great from a free speech point of view as well, I was just reading how they've started removing MailChimp from new installs:

https://slickstack.io/blog/mailchimp-banned

Over the past few years, MailChimp’s “leftist” activism and Orwellian censorship has gotten more and more bold. Among many others who have been arbitrarily banned for political reasons include Stefan Molyneux, March for Trump, VICE founder Gavin McInnes, and Alex Jones, and even a random women’s issues blogger named Emma.

• Informative 1