DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Common cold to cure cancer?

tlc

o.O

What are they up too?

• Phase I clinical trial announced Friday was conducted at NYU Langone Health
  • Used a combination of a live cold virus with an immunotherapy drug 
  • Treatment shrank melanoma tumors in 47% of the trial's 36 participants 
  • Several studies have examined how oncolytic viruses can be used on cancer
  • Informative 1
Hopeful
5 minutes ago, tlc said:

o.O

What are they up too?

• Phase I clinical trial announced Friday was conducted at NYU Langone Health
  • Used a combination of a live cold virus with an immunotherapy drug 
  • Treatment shrank melanoma tumors in 47% of the trial's 36 participants 
  • Several studies have examined how oncolytic viruses can be used on cancer

Trying to understand the interaction between cancer, disease, and drugs to see if they can create better therapies ?

MrPin
19 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Trying to understand the interaction between cancer, disease, and drugs to see if they can create better therapies ?

That's probably all it is.

• Agree 1
apples

a) genuinely trying to cure cancer, one of the holy grails of medical research

b) cynically trying to get research funding by saying they're doing a)

c) conspiring to kill us all via a ridiculously convoluted plan worthy of a James Bond villain*

* PROTIP: easier methods are available

Edited by apples
  • Informative 1
inactionman

Basically cancer cells don't cope well with viruses, as it's all about the growth for them, and only cancer cells can make more cancer cells, but the rest of the body is fine, and your stem cells can replace pretty much anything.

So the idea is give you a cold and that should kill off the cancer, to a certain extent at least. Then they can combine that possibly with some mild immunosuppression to make the cold last longer, maybe together with chemo and radiotherapy. All of this will hopefully kill off the cancer in a more targeted way with much less side effects.

That was the research i saw. Good to see it's making its way into clinical trial!

Edited by inactionman
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
unregistered_guest
2 hours ago, apples said:

c) conspiring to kill us all via a ridiculously convoluted plan worthy of a James Bond villain*

* PROTIP: easier methods are available

Time to wheel out that opening scene from I Am Legend again...

• Agree 1
BoSon

They can already cure cancer, mostly, so more treatment options are always being sought. Prevent cancer is the holy grail but that is like trying to prevent ageing. It may take immortality to solve both. xD

snaga
8 hours ago, BoSon said:

They can already cure cancer, mostly, so more treatment options are always being sought. Prevent cancer is the holy grail but that is like trying to prevent ageing. It may take immortality to solve both. xD

some cancers that's almost true, if caught early enough, but for others, you're still pretty much fucked.

• Agree 1
Bien Pensant

I believe that one of the earliest examples of immunotherapy was when a pharaoh had a tumour deliberately infected.

The germs ate the tumor and caused it to shrink.

On a related note, I know someone who is an absolute blotting pad for BBC bullshit and when I pointed out to her that covid appeared to have cured cancer and heart attacks she said 'yes they were saying that on the radio, doctors think that it might be the basis for new treatments'.

• Lol 1
Hail the Tripod
On 11/04/2021 at 12:27, BoSon said:

It’s almost the other way round. Apparently, de-aging therapies leave the Guinea pigs riddled with cancers.

• Informative 1