• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

Linux installation

Has anyone achieved it successfully? I refuse to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 let alone 10 !

However my computer is playing up a bit and Windows 8 won't last forever with no updates n stuff!

I tried installing Linux Mint a while ago, but found it challenging. Maybe my skills are too limited for the task.

Is there an easy way do you think?

Mint should be OK if hardware up to it, Unbuntu good too, though no Linux expert.

First thing to try if having problems before is running LiveCD of the install, see if you like it, and more importantly will check that your system has no compatibility issues. Will also give you a chance to play around a bit in Linux and get more familiar with it, command line etc.

Here's some info on Ubuntu LiveCD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Thanks for this.I couldn't get the Mint CD to run. It span around and lined itself up for what I thought was going to be it. But then once downloaded it wouldn't open.Then I read that disabling the Windows override was the next thing. So, I did that and it still wasn't having it. I gave up at that point.Think I've over-complicated something along the way! But I'll try the link you've sent and thanks onlyme.

46 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

downgrade to 7

Problem is you know sooner or later MS will stop supporting that and providing patches at which point it becomes a liability. If you are going to make a break out of windows may as well do it, or at least try it and see if it works for you. 

http://www.silicon.co.uk/workspace/microsoft-reveals-details-retirement-windows-7-148767

Mainstream support will end next year, but security updates will be provided all the way until 2020

2 hours ago, suzieq said:

Has anyone achieved it successfully? I refuse to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 let alone 10 !

However my computer is playing up a bit and Windows 8 won't last forever with no updates n stuff!

I tried installing Linux Mint a while ago, but found it challenging. Maybe my skills are too limited for the task.

Is there an easy way do you think?

Windows 10 looks ok from what I've seen.  But I'd maybe go get a fresh ISO and start again rather than upgrade.  I did a windows 8 upgrade for a family member and it was an arse.  I also suggest you get a second printer.

Mint is good, I found various ISOs on CD wouldn't boot up too.  And there might be a bit of fucking around to do to get it exactly as you want.  

Pissing around with IT bores me so I've sold my soul to Apple and live off iOS devices now.  Happy with that.  

There are different desktop environments for Mint. Run something lightweight like Linux Mate is pretty good. Usually I just pop in the USB key and it installs in a few minutes, easier than the clunky Windows install in my experience. For my Chrome book it was slightly more complex but they are not really designed to run anything but Chrome.

I have a Windows 7 machine, I turned auto-updates off as they caused more trouble than they are worth. If you are paranoid you can just install security patches. I don't use IE.

Windows 10 - full of Microsoft spyware (telemetry as they call it), no thanks.

Personally I find Windows clunky and intuitive compared to Windows but it depends what you are used to really.

I managed to work out how to use Linux by myself some years ago. It's well worth investing some time in. Maybe handy if you have a second computer, or smart phone or whatever, to google or follow online instructions if you hit a stumbling block, the answers are out there. Find the instructions to make a Mint LiveCD or Mint LiveUSB then it should just be a case of selecting the usb or cd in the bios when you switch the computer on and it should boot straight into the Mint operating system. Remember to back up any data you would like to keep before starting.

I've used Linux since 2007 as Windows was crashing every half hour and i couldn't stand it anymore. Was Ubuntu for years but switched to Mint now as I didn't like Unity.

Persevere suzieq, Linux is a different way of doing things so needs some adjustment time. Feel free to post up questions but Google is often quicker!

OP, Windows 8.1 and 10 are both better than 8. Not fantastic, but not dreadful either. 

Linux is good unless you hit a snag. Then you will be trawling internet fora for obscure commands. I've nearly always hit a snag e.g. wifi not quite working, or something else so I've never used it on a computer that's actually going to be used for work (at least not since the netbook days).  With Linux, I always think the wonder is that it works at all, not that it works well.