DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Long Covid Example

JoeDavola

eta-carinae

I think I've been guilty of writing this off as self pitying whinge or just the common long term recovery of a serious viral infection. I still think that may be true but your example is really useful.

I had short Covid for two weeks over Christmas and was absolutely exhausted. Couldn't eat. Couldn't walk without resting, climb stairs, etc. Had no specific symptoms until the end when the painful cough started.

Poor bloke, I can imagine that long term is horrible.

• Agree 4

crashmonitor

As someone that has been jabbed, it seems poor advice for him to get jabbed.  I presume he had immunity to Covid anyway, so  all the jab has done is make himself ill twice over.

I think the Authorities are playing up Long Covid and playing down post vaccine side effects.

Edited by crashmonitor
  • Agree 8

JoeDavola
Posted (edited)

Doesn't matter what the authorities are saying - just relaying this bloke's personal experience.

Also I forgot to mention - he was not hospitalized when he was sick with covid.

I do remember a post from someone else here that said they had post viral fatigue from something else, maybe a bad flu, a few years back - but I never heard of a flu causing a relatively healthy young man to be wiped out for a year.

Maybe it does but it's just so rare I don't read about it.

Edited by JoeDavola

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I think the Authorities are playing up Long Covid and playing down post vaccine side effects.

Just wait till people start claiming DLA or some other benefit as per fibromyalgia etc and the government will soon get fed up with it.

• Agree 2

SillyBilly

"Man up" prescription is what the NHS should be dispensing for any Long Covid sufferer. Its the new fibromyalgia. 

Jazztraveller
7 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I wonder if it affects the self employed?

Doesn’t seem to be affecting white van drivers or tradesmen...

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Jazztraveller said:

Fit, active and mobile vs fat, lazy & sedentary.

• Agree 1

Jazztraveller
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Fit, active and mobile vs fat, lazy & sedentary.

You could’ve just said “vs public sector” 😄

• Agree 1
  • Lol 4

JoeDavola
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Fit, active and mobile

Yes as I explained this chap was all 3, and beyond a week or two when he first got it hasn't taken any time off work with it.

Jazztraveller
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes as I explained this chap was all 3, and beyond a week or two when he first got it hasn't taken any time off work with it.

Fit, active and mobile tend not to be isolated. Even delivering parcels (I did it) is a massive release and opportunity for social  contact.

Im fit and in shape and two days sitting around at home gives me massive anxiety. Which leads to physical discomfort 

• Agree 1

He's just unlucky. For every one of him there are probably a thousand shrugging their shoulders saying "covid - is that it ?" 

• Agree 7

19 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I got post viral early 40s after scarlet fever. I had a young child so I determined to push through it.

A couple of years later I broke a wrist and developed something called complex regional pain syndrome. Had to work for months with a physio to get improvement in my hand/wrist. Again I had to push through for the sake of the kid.

It can be done with determination and motivation.

I guess many don't have any hope or motivation given what we are being subjected to.

I hope your friend can find a way through.

Edited by tlc
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 3

39 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I do remember a post from someone else here that said they had post viral fatigue from something else, maybe a bad flu, a few years back - but I never heard of a flu causing a relatively healthy young man to be wiped out for a year.

Maybe it does but it's just so rare I don't read about it.

I had flu in my early twenties.  Fever/bed ridden for about a week, didn't eat anything for two weeks.  Took me a while to recover.  It would catch me by surprise even 3 months later when I would have to have a sit down after trying to do anything physical.  A year would have been miserable.

• Agree 2

The Masked Tulip

My breathing stamina / endurance has been noticeably reduced since I first had what I believe was covid in Nov/Dec 2019.

Being wiped out by flu is common, as is taking many, many months to fully recover.

• Agree 9

ashestoashes

runners tend to want to get back running for the endorphins and social aspect, so must be bad to stop him, thought we had discussed covid affecting oxygen delivery earlier.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Being wiped out by flu is common, as is taking many, many months to fully recover.

Being isolated, depressed, with little hope will no doubt have made physical illness much worse for many.

Thanks for the lockdown, you evil ruling bastards. 

• Agree 8

Democorruptcy
15 minutes ago, ccc said:

He's just unlucky. For every one of him there are probably a thousand shrugging their shoulders saying "covid - is that it ?" 

When I read that I thought won't it be more than 1000? Just had a look, NHS estimated 60,000 with long covid and we have had 4m recover so 1 in 67! Some people are going to make a career out of it and a lot of other careers are going to have to pay for it. The squeezed middle ain't seen nothing yet!

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

JoeDavola
44 minutes ago, ccc said:

Yep agreed. Possibly more than a thousand.

But I think some people would like to deny that a long term effect from covid isn't even a thing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jazztraveller said:

Delivery driver of local company I know well, dead.

Tradesman I know months in ICU, extraordinarily lucky to survive as most didn't;t at the time in the same circumstances, still recovering but then you would just due to ICU.

Luck of the draw who gets it bad / gets it at all and whether you know them really.

If it is more an autoimmune disease compared to flu then that might explain the larger proportion of reported long term issues.

• Agree 4

40 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yep agreed. Possibly more than a thousand.

But I think some people would like to deny that a long term effect from covid isn't even a thing.

It's the rebranding that's my issue. 

Long flu exists. 

Long covid exists. 

Yet only one is front page news - whilst the others been around for ever and nobody gave a fuck. 

15 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Delivery driver of local company I know well, dead.

Tradesman I know months in ICU, extraordinarily lucky to survive as most didn't;t at the time in the same circumstances, still recovering but then you would just due to ICU.

Luck of the draw who gets it bad / gets it at all and whether you know them really.

If it is more an autoimmune disease compared to flu then that might explain the larger proportion of reported long term issues.

Yes. It's like an allergy imo.

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, ccc said:

Yes. It's like an allergy imo.

In an allergy the body is attacking something usually harmless, with covid one supposition( @dgul's recent article) is that the body is attacking itself by misrecognising ACE2 as a foreign entity.  Interestingly someone close to me their mild but persistent allergy disappeared for a while after covid - maybe the body was just busy doing something else for a while.

Maybe that is why the dying with covid is being pushed - people are not dying of the virus, their body's response is killing them and it may not be just at the time of infection or close to it.

• Agree 1

Rare Bear
2 hours ago, Jazztraveller said:

I do know of a self employed music teacher who is so afflicted.