DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I might give up on gardening

humdrum

jamanda

I wonder if it is because they've been slobbing about during lockdown and as soon as they think Spring is here they go hell for leather at the gardening.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder

I used to have an allotment in SE London. My fellow allotmenters came from all over the place, my next door guy was from Africa. One day he started screaming big time, so I rushed over to see what was up. "It's a snake, a snake" he was screaming, so I had a closer look, it was an orange Sainsbury's plastic bag, but give him his due, it did really look like a snake. He was shitting himself.

There's danger down amongst those onions you know.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

The Grey Man

My allotment days, I made friends with a rather elusive chap. Really well read and very open to questioning things about the world. Occupational Therapist.

He was about 6 3". 40.  Very physically fit. He grew a lot of Beetroot for superjuice. Athletic build.

Hadnt seen him towards winters end one year. I enquired.

Diagnosed with Leukaemia. I emailed him. I knew his wife was keeping him isolated. Replied saying he was hanging in there. A few days later he had passed away. About 4 months from diagnosis to his death.

I went to his funeral. The church was packed. Must have been close to 400 in there. All the while I new him...very polite, unassuming and largely kept himself to himself other than when he took his daughters along.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

sarahbell
On 12/04/2021 at 14:21, humdrum said:

I went up to the allotment this morning and found that it was full of police and ambulances. Apparently someone had been there earlier, gotten into his car, had a heart attack and ended up driving into the gates.

That makes it the forth fatality this year. One a month. Twelve a year. With less than 170 allotment holders that means the average life of an allotment holder is 14 years.

I reckon that I can take this Chinese flu in my stride, but gardening is getting bloody dangerous

Bloody hell!

170 allotments is a huge site.

Stinky Wizzleteats
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Bloody hell that's huge.
It either dilutes the nutters or concentrates them.

Dilutes! Its an old victorian site, every plot is surrounded by 6ft hedges. You hardly ever see anyone else

sarahbell
39 minutes ago, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

Dilutes! Its an old victorian site, every plot is surrounded by 6ft hedges. You hardly ever see anyone else

I saw that on one of the stories about it. Blissfully unaware of what shittips are beyond the hedge.

• Cheers 1

Stinky Wizzleteats
5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I saw that on one of the stories about it. Blissfully unaware of what shittips are beyond the hedge.

You can peek through the hedges and see that there are quite a few plots that will be big projects. Mine was chest high in brambles when I took over it

• Agree 2

sarahbell
Just now, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

You can peek through the hedges and see that there are quite a few plots that will be big projects. Mine was chest high in brambles when I took over it

It's often the way.
When we had the old bloke die (His apologies were given at the start of the meeting but at the end they told me he'd died the day before) the family stripped the plot and did actually try to take the soil.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Libspero
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Bloody hell that's huge.
It either dilutes the nutters or concentrates them.

I can only see allotments becoming more popular.

There was a time when they came attached to every house complete with walls and hedges to keep the riff raff out.

Now, like everything,  if you want it you will need to rent it as a high density commodity with plenty of rules and social bickering to ensure maximum friction and minimum user enjoyment :Passusabeer:

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

sarahbell
1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I can only see allotments becoming more popular.

There was a time when they came attached to every house complete with walls and hedges to keep the riff raff out.

Now, like everything,  if you want it you will need to rent it as a high density commodity with plenty of rules and social bickering to ensure maximum friction and minimum user enjoyment :Passusabeer:

Most of the rules are sensible.

One site near us has "Do not drive over another plot to drop muck on yours" 

Libspero
8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Most of the rules are sensible.

One site near us has "Do not drive over another plot to drop muck on yours" 

Yes,  to be fair I’m operating from a position of extreme ignorance from high up on my  cosy armchair :D

I only knew one person who had an allotment..  it seemed to be a never ending excuse for one social event after another.  They drank more tea and ate more biscuits than I ever saw actually doing any gardening.  Perhaps that’s why so many plots turn into briar bushes :/

Coincidentally she died shortly after as well..      the OP might be onto something O.o

Edited by Libspero
  • Agree 2

sarahbell
Just now, Libspero said:

Yes,  to be fair I’m operating from a position of extreme ignorance from high up on my  cosy armchair :D

I only knew one person who had an allotment..  it seemed to be a never ending excuse for one social even after another.  They drank more tea and ate more biscuits than I ever saw actually doing any gardening.  Perhaps that’s why so many plots turn into briar bushes :/

Coincidentally she died shortly after as well..      the OP might be onto something O.o

The social side is good. but you need to weed and talk. At least some of the time.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
15 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The social side is good. but you need to weed and talk. At least some of the time.

I had an allotment for three years, could not go on after that. The amount of horse shit I dug into that thing was ridiculous, cost me nothing, but I realized it was a labour of love. 3 sweetcorn for a quid in Lidl August/ September time did it for me.

• Agree 2

My grandfather had 2 allotments. One was 15 miles away and he cycled to it. He'd sell the surplus veg for his beer money.

These days, food is too cheap and beer is too expensive.

• Agree 5

sarahbell
19 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I had an allotment for three years, could not go on after that. The amount of horse shit I dug into that thing was ridiculous, cost me nothing, but I realized it was a labour of love. 3 sweetcorn for a quid in Lidl August/ September time did it for me.

Some people think they're saving money> There's a crop harvester app that you can add up the value.
I have hoped to plant enough perennial stuff to have less "gardening" to do. The runner beans, courgettes and tomatoes are the main exceptions. Someone reckons you can overwinter runner bean roots.

• Agree 2

Bobthebuilder
32 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Some people think they're saving money> There's a crop harvester app that you can add up the value.
I have hoped to plant enough perennial stuff to have less "gardening" to do. The runner beans, courgettes and tomatoes are the main exceptions. Someone reckons you can overwinter runner bean roots.

I still grow tomatoes, cucumbers and a few potatoes every year. Grow them in pots, does not take up too much room. I have never done it to save money just enjoy growing things. The allotment was too much for me really, so much work but great fun when it went well.

Horrible so far this year, just cant get much going at the moment.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

sarahbell
4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I still grow tomatoes, cucumbers and a few potatoes every year. Grow them in pots, does not take up too much room. I have never done it to save money just enjoy growing things. The allotment was too much for me really, so much work but great fun when it went well.

Horrible so far this year, just cant get much going at the moment.

I've got five rows of beetroot in. Fingers crossed.i love beetroot.

• Cheers 1

Libspero
On 15/04/2021 at 20:58, Bobthebuilder said:

3 sweetcorn for a quid in Lidl August/ September time did it for me.

This.   I grow chilli plants,   mainly just for fun..   but the amount of effort and cost I put into them far exceeds the price you would pay in the shop.  

And the ba$tard shop bought ones are always bigger than mine too :PissedOff:

• Agree 1

When browsing open air markets and boot sales, I'd take note of where the most cash was changing hands.

Every spring, the guys selling trays of young bedding plants were doing a good trade.

I have heard that growing bamboo can be profitable but idk if the UK climate is suitable for that.

Popuplights
On 15/04/2021 at 20:23, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

Mine was chest high in brambles when I took over it

Brambles are the devil's spawn! I have spent the morning chopping them down where they have overgrown from the footpath next to my garden.

On the upside I bagged some free beech hedge from a nearby estate, so that has gone in to provide some privacy to my Garden

• Agree 2

ninjaborrower

Moral of the story, dont try to grow your own fruit and veg

Its far more healthier to eat from pizza hut and bernie inn

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
humdrum
On 20/04/2021 at 19:19, Popuplights said:

Brambles are the devil's spawn! I have spent the morning chopping them down where they have overgrown from the footpath next to my garden.

On the upside I bagged some free beech hedge from a nearby estate, so that has gone in to provide some privacy to my Garden

Mostly I ignore the brambles and tell the Hon Sec that I am trying to create an area where the wildlife can roam free and that it is my part in the fight against Climate Change. 

Or some such.

A good bloke the Hon Sec, albeit it a bit gullible

• Lol 3