DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I could have been rich - shares you didn't buy

Hancock

What shares have you been watching, but for whatever reason lacked the testicles to buy.

My most recent is Ironveld, was waiting for it to go back down to 0.50 ... got to 0.53 ... but i stupidly held out for the number i had in my head ... can see it going to the moon!

image.png.8b145a4967c8a480b6129a2201756d2b.png

Another recent one recommended by @longtomsilverwas Paladin Energy, when it was around 0.11 AUD

image.png.9695125373549e4b80111b0f0ec04208.png

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
longtomsilver

Ironveld was spun off from Sylvania Platinum which coincidentally I held. It was one of my first proper big  trades and for a short while I was all in with a million shares at 6p. Came to my senses and halved about a month later and continued to sell out completely all the way up to 18p - they are currently 117p which would have been £1,170,000.00p if I had just stuck to my guns 🙄 still made about £50k.

I had the balls to go into Paladin except for it not being listed on my brokers platform to trade 🙄

Still speculating with my profits/dividend income.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 4
Hancock
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Ironveld was spun off from Sylvania Platinum which coincidentally I held.

Looks as if the stars may align for IRON in the coming months.

I was only going to stick £5/600 in, so dont know why i held off.

Nice bit of business on Sylvania .... that really is an if only share.

Edited by Hancock
  • Cheers 1
longtomsilver
3 hours ago, Hancock said:

Looks as if the stars may align for IRON in the coming months.

I was only going to stick £5/600 in, so dont know why i held off.

Nice bit of business on Sylvania .... that really is an if only share.

To err is human - I've made these kind of mistakes my whole life 😁

• Agree 1
Vendetta
3 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Ironveld was spun off from Sylvania Platinum which coincidentally I held. It was one of my first proper big  trades and for a short while I was all in with a million shares at 6p. Came to my senses and halved about a month later and continued to sell out completely all the way up to 18p - they are currently 117p which would have been £1,170,000.00p if I had just stuck to my guns 🙄 still made about £50k.

I had the balls to go into Paladin except for it not being listed on my brokers platform to trade 🙄

Still speculating with my profits/dividend income.

The eternal quandary has never been ‘what to buy?’ ..... it is always:

’When to sell?’.......

No one ever went broke taking profits.....

Just ended up depressed at what ‘could have been’...... 😁

• Cheers 1
longtomsilver
13 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

The eternal quandary has never been ‘what to buy?’ ..... it is always:

’When to sell?’.......

Just ended up depressed at what ‘could have been’...... 😁

I'm rationally minded so these thing don't have such a deleterious effect on me. The world keeps turning.

Vendetta

Me too. 

Only invest what you can afford to lose. 

Secondly be grateful for what one has and never be greedy.

Enjoy! 

• Agree 4
  • Cheers 1
goldbug9999

Only invest what you can afford to lose. 

be grateful for what one has and never be greedy.

I seem to have managed to do the exact opposite of all the good advice on this thread O.o

• Lol 1
reformed nice guy

I bought 100 Tesla shares back in June 2013, sold out for a decent profit a while back but they would be worth a lot more now

• Agree 1
invalid

Somewhere around 2007 I bought a fair chunk of ECM shares at around 240.

For the next ten years they went sideways (paid divis though) and I decided to sell in 2016 at around 255 taking a very small profit.

Literally a week after I sold the price started to soar, a year later it was up at around 650.

I just could not believe that I had held them for 10 years and the minute I sell the price rockets.

I've just broken my vow not to look at their share price again. Today they are over 1,000. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. :CryBaby:

Perhaps a bit late now with the current high price, but they are probably a good company to fit with DBs suggestion of buying those who supply the inputs.

• Cheers 2
Royston

Was given a tip for Bushveld (BMN) back in 2017 when they were about 1.4, less than 2 years later they had rose to around 48, fell back to 16 now.

aoxomoxoa

In 2013 I had a look at Tesla for that years ISA allowance. Instead I decided to keep the safe path and bought a bunch of MRW and TSCO   :CryBaby:

• Agree 2
Vendetta

A guy on a train told me to buy shares in Facebook - this was back in Spring 2013.

I saw that it was a $50bn company and thought fuck that.

8 years later it is nearly a $1 trillion company. 

The Grey Man

Apple.

Overpriced for years. That was my view.

One of my wifes customers mentioned to her a decade or so.

Now lives abroad for most of the year.

Mind..I had sod all cash any way.

Yep..an excuse. Missed the boat on that one.

Still one door closed...another opened.

Edited by The Grey Man
  • Cheers 1
jm51

In the late 60's I nearly got in on the Poseidon bubble but I bought a motorcycle instead.

Knowing me, I would probably have sold far too early or far too late.

goldbug9999

I can remember back in late 90's when amazon only sold books and thinking "its a nice business model, will probably be how lots are things are done in the future" but being put off putting any money in it because the experts said they were making little or no profit.

• Cheers 1
goldbug9999

Also remember having having a conversation with someone about bitcoin in 2011, it having just "crashed" from $10 to $6. We mused that it must surely be worth punting a grand or two in for shits and giggles, neither of us did of course. In fairness at the time the only way to buy it was using a series of about 3 extremely dodgy money transfer services to get cash from UK into MTGOX.

(And yes every current bitcoin holder has a similar story, I've never come across anyone who jumped in head first when they initially became aware of it).

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 2
spunko

Shopify, it was so fucking obvious they'd climb when lockdown started and every mummy thought they could start a business.

Screenshot_2021-04-21 shopify shares - Google Search.png

• Agree 1
spunko
8 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Also remember having having a conversation with someone about bitcoin in 2011, it having just "crashed" from $10 to $6. We mused that it must surely be worth punting a grand or two in for shits and giggles, neither of us did of course. In fairness at the time the only way to buy it was using a series of about 3 extremely dodgy money transfer services to get cash from UK into MTGOX.

(And yes every current bitcoin holder has a similar story, I've never come across anyone who jumped in head first when they initially became aware of it).

This is very true. I originally heard of Bitcoin in 2012/2013 and it didn't interest me at all, if something doesn't interest you then you don't tend to invest in it. All these people who "wished they'd heard of Bitcoin 5 years ago" piss me off, it was an unknown entity at that point and they're all looking back with the benefit of hindsight. It could easily have fizzled out to nothing.

goldbug9999
43 minutes ago, spunko said:

This is very true. I originally heard of Bitcoin in 2012/2013 and it didn't interest me at all, if something doesn't interest you then you don't tend to invest in it. All these people who "wished they'd heard of Bitcoin 5 years ago" piss me off, it was an unknown entity at that point and they're all looking back with the benefit of hindsight. It could easily have fizzled out to nothing.

Yes and the price was only low in the early days precisely because most of those who did know of it did not invest in it, if everyone had done so then the price would have shot up much earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...
23rdian

Good thread makes me feel better at least.

I worked with early e-commerce. Did I buy Amazon. No.

I was telling everyone I knew about this great new Search engine called Google too.

That said, I wouldn't have even known about how to have gone about buying shares back then even if I wanted to. I was too into cars.

Too many to list. Pathetic really.

goldbug9999
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 23rdian said:

Good thread makes me feel better at least.

Too many to list. Pathetic really.

Seems like the reality is that most people miss most opportunities to make big money from a small investment.

I guess I should consider myself lucky I've successfully rode two waves: gold from 2007 - 20013 ish, bitcoin from 2013 - present.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 1
TheNickos

almost bought a couple of grand in ethereum at £4 each years back and thought crypto would fizzle out. How wrong i was :CryBaby:

goldbug9999
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TheNickos said:

almost bought a couple of grand in ethereum at £4 each years back and thought crypto would fizzle out. How wrong i was :CryBaby:

As you can see there are still plenty of people who still think that (including some regular posters here) despite the fact that crypto is now in the top 10 biggest forms of money by m1 supply.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Informative 1