DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

'hospital' dance genre - have you been asked to participate

'hospital' dance genre - you been framed?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dogtania

First time pollster, apologies but am interested.  Have set results to private.

Seems a bit of a one trick pony being just one song (Sony probably all too happy for it to continue potential future revenue stream).  But the setting and props seem endless.

Seemed to be concentrating on the hospitals initially but seems it's grown legs.  Now insurance offices and airlines getting involved.  I did a quick search yesterday to see whether they were still getting produced, and on YouTube at least, there still coming thick and fast, relatively. 

Below you have a care home (some of the residents sitting watching I'd guess would answer D on the poll by their expressions), a garage and closer to home Scottish ambulance service (not the greatest production or fitness of participants but beautiful scenery).   And the original European high end hospital production.   

The above all posted on YT in the last month along with airlines (almost a sub genre) and train stations.

So anybody joined in to one or been asked to here?  Personally I've never been a fan of sycronized anything dance wise, and especially find viral 'challenges' or memes a bit annoying.  For sure maybe I could be the outlier and I'm sure a lot of people would have fun doing which is fine just not for me.  Still looks weird IMO but no doubt people say that about me!

sarahbell

Yes I have. 
Needless to say I have not recorded myself dancing. 

• Informative 1
DTMark

I think it's all harmless fun (as long as there's no complusion to join in) and that song is one of the best I've heard in quite some time.

I can't stop playing it. Perhaps South Africa's finest musical export.

Funn3r

These hospital and other people are incredibly late to the party. This same (very simple) dance has been doing the rounds for 10 years or so in UK clubs, always set to the tune "Kuduro" usually done by Don Omar ft. Lucenzo.  Was surprised to find people doing same on a trip to the US where they call it  "Cha Cha Slide", despite it not being a Cha Cha.

Easy steps to learn for non-dancers and pretty popular. The "Jerusalema" track is new, the dance remains the same.  

The mass hospital videos filmed from drones are a bit nuts but I don't mind them doing it so long as it is "as well as" rather than instead of their actual jobs. Although in my opinion dancing with a mask on is fucking stupid.

Edited by Funn3r
add last sentence
  • Informative 1
Yadda yadda yadda

If you want me to dance in a mask you need to provide masquerade ball.

• Cheers 2
Dogtania
56 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I think it's all harmless fun (as long as there's no complusion to join in) and that song is one of the best I've heard in quite some time.

I can't stop playing it. Perhaps South Africa's finest musical export.

I thought it was quiet catchy too when I first heard.  SA I think quite fertile with new and old music being grown though.  Especially Johannesburg and Soweto.  I am not an avid listener of the old school Quito music etc and only came across this song a year or two ago.  I thought it was called peace magnets 😅 (quite good name actually) but it's peace m'gents (peace my gentlemen).  Anyway loads of old popular stuff similar.  Then I was also under impression a lot of good jazz came out of Johannesburg.  And then Ladysmith black mombazo the famous touring export

Second track more modern stuff egoli - city of gold and all about car jacking.  Not that I listen to a lot but IMO very fresh and you can feel the energy 

Funn3r
10 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Second track more modern stuff egoli - city of gold and all about car jacking.  Not that I listen to a lot but IMO very fresh and you can feel the energy 

I was lent a Mazda 323 in Johannesburg and told there were only two rules:

1. Don't fuck with the Jo'burg Traffic Department

2. Never stop at a robot (red light) as you will get carjacked
  • Agree 1
Fully Detached

I don't think these "viral memes" are innocent at all - it's peer pressure to conform, same as the ice bucket challenge, and they're very effective at making people follow along.

An acquaintance of mine has swallowed every viral meme/mass hysteria there is going - Trump's a nazi, Brexit voters are morons, anti-vaxxers are going to kill us all, etc. Did the ice bucket challenge no less than 4 times. That is not coincidence in my opinion.

• Agree 7
  • Lol 2
Reck B
10 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I don't think these "viral memes" are innocent at all - it's peer pressure to conform, same as the ice bucket challenge, and they're very effective at making people follow along.

An acquaintance of mine has swallowed every viral meme/mass hysteria there is going - Trump's a nazi, Brexit voters are morons, anti-vaxxers are going to kill us all, etc. Did the ice bucket challenge no less than 4 times. That is not coincidence in my opinion.

Tell him there's a new "season yourself, then jump into an industrial meat-grinder and get your family to eat your sausage-self' TikTok challenge.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
sarahbell
2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Easy steps to learn for non-dancers and pretty popular. The "Jerusalema" track is new, the dance remains the same.  

Oh shut it you.

Funn3r
4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Oh shut it you.

Here is a nice man to explain it

sarahbell
5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Here is a nice man to explain it

Thanks - it really doesn't help. I have no sense of timing or rhythm. 

Funn3r
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Thanks - it really doesn't help. I have no sense of timing or rhythm. 

Dance noobs always say that. We reply that if it were true they would be unable to walk. Dance really should be called "walk+" as it would be more accurate and less off-putting. 

• Informative 1
sarahbell
Just now, Funn3r said:

Dance noobs always say that. We reply that if it were true they would be unable to walk. Dance really should be called "walk+" as it would be more accurate and less off-putting. 

You're probably right. I did country dancing at school. I did modern dance at secondary school. I just have no interest in flailing about until I get it right. 

Harley

They had barn dancing in Texas but I retained my stiff upper lip.  That did get me into a bar brawl another time but then that was more familiar and British so I engaged with gusto!

Edited by Harley
  • Lol 1
DTMark
1 minute ago, Harley said:

They had barn dancing in Texas but I retained my stiff upper lip.  That did get me into a bar brawl another time but then that was more familiar and British!

And they say that white people don't have culture.

• Lol 1
Democorruptcy

Has choreographing dance routines adding more people to NHS waiting lists than covid yet?

Wight Flight
42 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

The sad thing is I was at the Herman Wine Festival / party in Missouri and the girl I was with was ecstatic when they played it as it was the new craze.

This was in 1988.

They had also just discovered Ska and wondered how the hell I knew so much about it.

I await the sodding tune arriving in the Isle of Wight next year.

• Lol 1
Dogtania
5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I was lent a Mazda 323 in Johannesburg and told there were only two rules:

1. Don't fuck with the Jo'burg Traffic Department

2. Never stop at a robot (red light) as you will get carjacked

Those old 323's were indestructible little things and yes the robots I don't think you were meant to stop at or at least you kept your wits about you and room to manevour if anything happened.  

• Agree 1
maynardgravy

You couldn't get me to dance to it unless you stuck forks through my eardrums. 

NewryH
5 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Theres a new ice bucket 'wanker detector' going about where you put your feet in an ice bucket for 90 seconds.

AWW
6 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

I think these things are a replacement for a functioning, cohesive society now that the UK is effectively a ragbag collection of ghettos containing various incompatible/introverted cultures.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1