• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Do you know what I mean?

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Are you unaware of the subject to which I am referring?

Standard dialect would be

Do 'ya nah wot I min, 'arry

You're far too posh

ahh, man o' the year beat me

Edited by Hopeful

I find this infuriating. Usually the person using this will state in simple terms what they mean and then add 'do you know what I mean', questioning either their ability to convey information clearly or your ability to comprehend.

Eg The sky is blue. Do you know what I mean? 

I used to watch the Ricky Lake show in the late 1990s (a watered down version of the Jerry Springer show) and the young women invited onto the show would keep slipping in 'D'ya know what I'm sayin'?' mid sentence with alarming regularity. I wonder if they are actually concious that they're using that phrase. It seems to become automatic.

FFS get to the point!! Ricky Lake wants to move the story on ASAP as time is limited on TV shows.

13 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

intelligence is not necessarily a shield against verbal ticks, OK? Count the "OKs" here once she gets going, OK? Know what I mean?

I'm currently trying to dissuade my wife from repeatedly saying 'yeah-yeah-yeah' after she makes a statement in any kind of discussion.

Unfortunately it's difficult to do without sounding like I'm just being an arsehole :( .

6 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm currently trying to dissuade my wife from repeatedly saying 'yeah-yeah-yeah' after she makes a statement in any kind of discussion.

Unfortunately it's difficult to do without sounding like I'm just being an arsehole :( .

Maybe you could rig up your phone to play something at the touch of a button every time she transgresses:

8 hours ago, Rave said:

It irritates me, but so do a lot of other phrases in common parlance. Even fillers like Umm and Err irritate me nowadays. I'd be happier if people just did not ever speak, I think.

I've noticed my family in S London and a few other people i know from that area have this strange quirk of adding "and (pause) thing" at the end of sentences. It seems to be a drop in replacement for "and so on". I find it quite funny.