• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Thombleached

Potential car write off - help!

Hi all,

I haven't been around that much this week due to lots of stress at work. 

Compounding that is the problem that my wife had an accident last week. Luckily no one was hurt and no other car was involved. 

Problem is two-fold. One is its a leased car and two it may very well be a write off. 

If it's a write off am I basically going to lose the deposit I put down when I signed up for the lease hire ? Has anyone been through something similar ? 

I know we don't have GAP insurance which will obviously make a difference. Apologies for the naivety - this is the first car I've leased.

image.jpeg.png

Edited by spunko2010
edited photo to hide location

Thats not a write off, bloke two houses down the roads 10 year old outlander was the same and they fixed it.

Might take them 8 weeks to sort it though.

I assume yours is the more modern PHEV.

Will still affect its value though when returned.

p.s. we know where you live now

Edited by Chewing Grass

Can't help on the lease front, but I don't think that would be a write off.

My 09 plate with bumper, light, wing, both doors, wheel, suspension damage was only a Cat D. That looks like it needs wing, bonnet, bumper, light, fog... and I'm guessing its one of the newer PHEV things? Not enough damage to write it off given the value.

Easy fix if you can find the parts from a breakers and the right person. If you haven't told insurers yet you might not want to. You could get a body shop to assess if they think it's likely to be a write off before you start. I would say it isn't a write off but it's surprising what parts can cost new- it does just need headlight, n\s front wing and bumper, it really isn't major - much worse if any airbags have deployed though - bonnet is salvagable by the looks of it.

Edited by SNACR

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Good news no injury - always the most important thing.

Bad news if it's a write-off: this is treated as if you have bought the car off them.  Have a look what that means.

As far as I can see because the suspensions caved in and the PHEV is a rare-ish car, the parts need to come from Japan and cost a fecking fortune. 

So assuming it's a write off - I could be left with a hefty balance between what the insurance company pay out and what the leasehire co. say its worth?

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Thats not a write off, bloke two houses down the roads 10 year old outlander was the same and they fixed it.

Might take them 8 weeks to sort it though.

I assume yours is the more modern PHEV.

Will still affect its value though when returned.

That's not where I live, just where she crashed it :)

4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

As far as I can see because the suspensions caved in and the PHEV is a rare-ish car, the parts need to come from Japan and cost a fecking fortune. 

So assuming it's a write off - I could be left with a hefty balance between what the insurance company pay out and what the leasehire co. say its worth?

It might need a tie rod, strut or lower suspension arm but not big money usually. Passenger airbags are pricey as usually a new dashboard and very heavy on labour though so that would be my main worry, if that's ok I really think it's unlikely to be a write off.

On the plus side you've got a stick to beat the missus you can get away with for the next 12 months probably.

Edited by SNACR

2 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Yes, that would be for you to pay.

GAP insurance always seems like a waste of money but accidents do happen.

I would explore the options for fixing it noted above.

6 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Easy fix if you can find the parts from a breakers and the right person. If you haven't told insurers yet you might not want to. You could get a body shop to assess if they think it's likely to be a write off before you start. I would say it isn't a write off but it's surprising what parts can cost new- it does just need headlight, n\s front wing and bumper, it really isn't major - much worse if any airbags have deployed though - bonnet is salvagable by the looks of it.

Sorry to be negative to OP but finding second hand front end parts for a new model PHEV is not going to be an easy task.

Good news is that the  car doesnt look like a write off to me, and parts like bumpers and frontwings should be reasonably priced as they are some of the most common panels which require replacement.

If you do get the repair done at a body shop I would suggest that you get it done at a good place and upon completion you are hyper critical of the work (or get someone else who understands bodywork). This is because the car will be assessed upon return to the lease company and if it is not up tp standard the charge back will be much larger if it it is poor. If you get a good job done it is possibl it will not be picked up on inspection at the end of the lease.

10 minutes ago, SNACR said:

It might need a tie rod, strut or lower suspension arm but not big money usually. Passenger airbags are pricey as usually a new dashboard and very heavy on labour though so that would be my main worry, if that's ok I really think it's unlikely to be a write off.

On the plus side you've got a stick to beat the missus you can get away with for the next 12 months probably.

Yeah low speed impact so no airbags were deployed and dash perfectly fine. All the garage (that were appointed by the insurance co.) have said is its a big bill and waiting to hear from the engineer who says to proceed or not 

8 minutes ago, Shaneyson said:

Sorry to be negative to OP but finding second hand front end parts for a new model PHEV is not going to be an easy task.

Good news is that the  car doesnt look like a write off to me, and parts like bumpers and frontwings should be reasonably priced as they are some of the most common panels which require replacement.

If you do get the repair done at a body shop I would suggest that you get it done at a good place and upon completion you are hyper critical of the work (or get someone else who understands bodywork). This is because the car will be assessed upon return to the lease company and if it is not up tp standard the charge back will be much larger if it it is poor. If you get a good job done it is possibl it will not be picked up on inspection at the end of the lease.

Choice of 3 front bumpers on ebay £280 the chrome trim pieces are going for another £40. Will definitely need the paint colour to be a total match. One trick a valet bloke told me is to polish the old paint but not the new before handing back.

10 minutes ago, Shaneyson said:

Theoretically it wouldn't be a problem as we were planning on buying it when the lease ends, but who knows if we'll even get to that point now!

5 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Yeah low speed impact so no airbags were deployed and dash perfectly fine. All the garage (that were appointed by the insurance co.) have said is its a big bill and waiting to hear from the engineer who says to proceed or not 

Problem is you do have to fight how cheap it is to repair unofficially. Repairable salvage makes very strong money at auction these days due to the ease of accessing parts through the internet so their calculation is if the difference between what they would pay out to you and what it would likely make at auction as salvage is a lot less than they'd pay out on repair they do write off stuff alarmingly easily - I would still be surprised though.

Edited by SNACR

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Problem is you do fight how cheap it is to repair. Repairable salvage makes very strong money at auction these days due to the ease of accessing parts through the internet so their calculation so if the difference between what they would pay out to you and what it would likely make at auction as salvage is a lot less than they'd pay out on repair they do write off stuff alarmingly easily - I would still be surprised though.

Can't I just ask that it be repaired elsewhere? I've got a local garage that I've used for 15 years. 

Excuse naivety once again - I've never had to go through any of this. 

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Choice of 3 front bumpers on ebay £280 the chrome trim pieces are going for another £40. Will definitely need the paint colour to be a total match. One trick a valet bloke told me is to polish the old paint but not the new before handing back.

That is a good start but sadly for op no wings or bonnets available though.

7 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Theoretically it wouldn't be a problem as we were planning on buying it when the lease ends, but who knows if we'll even get to that point now!

That is great news, don't be telling the lease company if you are planning to buy it.

Get it assessed first if no structural damage which looks highly unlikely. Cars are designed to crumple to protect people so damage always looks horrendous at first. If you are going to get it repaired get the level of repair which represents the best value for you.

If you can use a local guy which allows you to source parts that should help keep the costs down .

10 years ago my dad managed to roll his Jeep Cherokee on its side on a snowy French autoroute, I think it was 3 or 4 years old at the time. Insurance co didn't write it off, and I couldn't see the repairs when I had a ride in it afterwards (not that I would have had much of an idea what to look for at the time). I'd be surprised if that was a write-off. Also surprised that parts are hard to get TBH, as the PHEV is apparently a strong seller, as a splendid tax dodge? Are the panels not shared with non-hybrid models?

My ex had a similar accident in an Audi lease car. Repair took forever but no problems returning it at end of lease. If you return it in same condition you got it then they can't/shouldn't penalise you. Repair through insurance. Lease companies rarely sell cars to clients any more, they go to auction or official dealerships. Best to check Ts and Cs of lease contract.

Edited by The Idiocrat

1 hour ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Can't help on the lease front, but I don't think that would be a write off.

My 09 plate with bumper, light, wing, both doors, wheel, suspension damage was only a Cat D. That looks like it needs wing, bonnet, bumper, light, fog... and I'm guessing its one of the newer PHEV things? Not enough damage to write it off given the value.

Cat D is a write-off and has to be declared by a motor dealer. An insurance repair doesn't need to be declared as it should be done to as new condition. 

I don't know about the OP's car, it depends if the damage goes into the scuttle. 

What insurance for the lease do you have?

There's extra insurance which will sort this out - but not everyone makes you have it apparently. Know someone who's been felt very hard done to by ending up owing on a lease for a car they no longer have.

4 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I notice the garage that was once next to the car in the photo has been redeveloped since google drove past and is now a convenience store.

Edit: google spy van hasen't been up that lane in 8 years!

Edited by Oskar

16 hours ago, Thombleached said:

Can't I just ask that it be repaired elsewhere? I've got a local garage that I've used for 15 years. 

Excuse naivety once again - I've never had to go through any of this. 

I do know Aviva will pay out against invoices for parts and repairs if you manage the repair yourself (this is on a commercial fleet policy where there is a enormous amount of latitude to what you can do over a private policy though). 

18 hours ago, sarahbell said:

What insurance for the lease do you have?

There's extra insurance which will sort this out - but not everyone makes you have it apparently. Know someone who's been felt very hard done to by ending up owing on a lease for a car they no longer have.

Fully comp, but not GAP insurance :/

16 hours ago, Oskar said:

I notice the garage that was once next to the car in the photo has been redeveloped since google drove past and is now a convenience store.

Edit: google spy van hasen't been up that lane in 8 years!

Weird. As you say, that co-op's been there for years. Longer than I've lived around here anyway.

Did you get insurance through a broker - one of the reasons I  go broker route with car insurance is they can often help a lot in various circumstances (well at least the good ones).