DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property Log price changes now subscription only

With a crooked smile

With a crooked smile

I've just noticed today that property log the chrome extension for tracking price changes in Rightmove now blurs price changes and requires a couple of quid a month subscription. I use it a fair bit and have donated a fiver before but I use it mainly out of curiosity so feel unlikely to subscribe at the moment. 

Green Devil

Surely the benefit of the comparison occurs by browsing with the extension and storing the history in its database. With no user and no data store, itd become pretty useless. Maybe a EA org bribed him out to effectively shut it down? 

12 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Surely the benefit of the comparison occurs by browsing with the extension and storing the history in its database. With no user and no data store, itd become pretty useless. Maybe a EA org bribed him out to effectively shut it down? 

Never underestimate the amount of time required here, people probably wouldn't want ads so it has to be funded somehow. Personally I think freemium is the way to go, offer basic features for free and change money for those who want more features. By getting rid of the very meaning of the plug-in unless you pay, they've effectively killed it off imo.

8 hours ago, spunko said:

Never underestimate the amount of time required here, people probably wouldn't want ads so it has to be funded somehow. Personally I think freemium is the way to go, offer basic features for free and change money for those who want more features. By getting rid of the very meaning of the plug-in unless you pay, they've effectively killed it off imo.

Yep - but I actually don't think the programmer had much choice in the matter - given that he wasn't getting enough money to cover it's costs and he has commented on the costs for years.

Equally though if you remove the sole item people are using the software for few people are going to continue to use it.

Archived