DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Public Transport Face Coverings

JoeDavola

I’m typing this on the train - taking a 40 min journey which is usually a joy but I have to wear this stupid mask.

Got me thinking - this mask thing might never go away on public transport? So if you move somewhere where you use public transport to commute your signing up to long periods of mask use.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeDavola

• Carl Fimble

• Wight Flight

• The Generation Game

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked round to my lads house and seen some unbelievably pasty looking kids out, one walking with her mate had a blue Chinese mask on and was the colour of a ghost. In reality a lot of people are now

Does wearing it cause you distress and anxiety.  Then you have the coronavirus legislation to hand and see that this is an exemption. Be part of the solution, civil disobedience at every point.

Read a funny comment on Lockdown Sceptics ages ago about this. Guy got on a train, sat down and took his mask off, to the palpable nervousness of the woman sitting across from him. He then pulled a sa

Posted Images

SpectrumFX

I used to commute to work by train. If I was still working at the same place now I'd be getting an electric bike.

JoeDavola

Most peole had their mask on waiting in the open air platform for the train fuck sake. We’re taking during a 20 min wait. Open air. No strangers nearby. Young people.

• Agree 5
  • Lol 2
Mr X
7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I’m typing this on the train - taking a 40 min journey which is usually a joy but I have to wear this stupid mask.

Got me thinking - this mask thing might never go away on public transport? So if you move somewhere where you use public transport to commute your signing up to long periods of mask use.

Take it off

You are part of the problem if you don't

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Most peole had their mask on waiting in the open air platform for the train fuck sake. We’re taking during a 20 min wait. Open air. No strangers nearby. Young people.

Milgram experiment

• Agree 8
BoSon

More risk from unclean re-used masks causing bacterial infection such as pneumonia than catching covid with case numbers so low. If it's not circulating in your area you can't catch it whatever you do or don't do.

Get used to it though, evidently way more than half the population are below average intelligence xD, so peer pressure and social stigma will make many follow the rules however cretinous the rules are.

Established public restrictions (masks, distancing, hand wash dispensers, track and trace, limited numbers in places, ...) aren't going away anytime soon, even if they do go away for summer again, like covid.

Edited by BoSon
janch

The trick is to be eating or drinking ie make a snack last the length of the journey then you can't be accused of breaching "the rules".

I've decided to flout "the rules" wherever i can from now on and I whip my mask off the minute I get out of a shop with a flourish to indicate to anyone watching that I hate the thing and resent having to comply.

I've been round the local Tescos twice now sans mask.  They used to have a body on the door checking but seem to have dispensed with this recently.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1
ThePurpleBird
18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Take it off

You are part of the problem if you don't

I agree. In McD’s yesterday and masks everywhere.  They are becoming normalised.  Even those waiting outside social distancing on their q marks had masks on.  Been running around in and out of shops for a lot of week, it was like old times and could have easily forgot we were in a pandemic.  It it weren’t for all the masked up zombies around me

• Agree 1
tlc
36 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Young people.

Watch young people at pedestrian crossings.

They almost wait for the green man and the beep before crossing. :ph34r:

Anglepoise
6 minutes ago, tlc said:

Watch young people at pedestrian crossings.

They almost wait for the green man and the beep before crossing. :ph34r:

Not in Peckham they don't- it seems to be a youth thing to dodge all around the traffic daring you to slow down.

tlc
4 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

Not in Peckham they don't- it seems to be a youth thing to dodge all around the traffic daring you to slow down.

Is Peckham rough?

Anglepoise
2 minutes ago, tlc said:

Is Peckham rough?

It's got worse since the Trotters left.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 7
Carl Fimble
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

You don't have to. 

• Agree 7
eight
31 minutes ago, janch said:

The trick is to be eating or drinking ie make a snack last the length of the journey then you can't be accused of breaching "the rules".

Read a funny comment on Lockdown Sceptics ages ago about this. Guy got on a train, sat down and took his mask off, to the palpable nervousness of the woman sitting across from him. He then pulled a sandwich out of his bag and began eating it, at which she visibly relaxed.

His takeaway from this was something like "You wear a mask to protect me, I eat a sandwich to protect you".

• Lol 9
  • Cheers 1
Malthus

I was talking to my cousin earlier in the week, she lives in Melbourne and says the traffic is way worse as people are avoiding public transport. 

Be interesting to see what happens once things really reopen here. 

• Agree 2
Carl Fimble
33 minutes ago, janch said:

I've decided to flout "the rules" wherever i can from now on and I whip my mask off the minute I get out of a shop with a flourish to indicate to anyone watching that I hate the thing and resent having to comply.

I've been round the local Tescos twice now sans mask.  They used to have a body on the door checking but seem to have dispensed with this recently.

Like this guy- 4 hrs eating pringles on a flight!!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tenerife-flight-pringles-hack-face-mask-a4539791.html

xD

• Agree 2
  • Lol 5
tlc
2 minutes ago, eight said:

Read a funny comment on Lockdown Sceptics ages ago about this. Guy got on a train, sat down and took his mask off, to the palpable nervousness of the woman sitting across from him.

Came out of Waitrose and pressed the lift button to go to the car.

Doors opened, a masked bloke was in there. He nearly shit himself when I stepped in unmasked. xD

• Agree 2
  • Lol 4
JoeDavola
1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

You don't have to. 

The voice over the tannoy says “it is mandatory to wear a face covering while using our services”. Having said that I’m currently sat without one and nobody’s said boo to me.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 2
JoeDavola
Posted (edited)

Chav bloke got on and sat at the opposite table to me - about 35, no mask, just bought a ticket from the conductor...conductor didn’t mention the lack of mask. 

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Wight Flight

You have to wear one on the outside deck of the ferry.

I have absolutely no idea why, but apparently people do.

• Lol 1
JoeDavola
Posted (edited)

Back home - so it's interesting they tell you it's 'mandatory' yet don't enforce it.

However the train was virtually empty - I do have a feeling if it was crammed with commuters you'd have the masked masses having a go at you at fairly regular intervals for not being masked.

Interestingly I spent a few hours in a small coastal town in NI (Whitehead) to check out a house, and I didn't see anyone wearing a mask outside. Soon as I got off the train in Belfast I saw a 30-something couple walking hand in hand, outside, not anywhere near any shops....both with masks on.

On the way to the train earlier today (i.e. while in Belfast) I saw a very young woman with a mixture of a large black mask and large black baseball cap on that actually obscured her whole face and her eyes too; she'd obviously wanted to obscure as much as possible. Fine build so might have been a young Asian woman.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1
Carl Fimble
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

The voice over the tannoy says “it is mandatory to wear a face covering while using our services”. Having said that I’m currently sat without one and nobody’s said boo to me.

Good on you Joe!

That tannoy could say anything at all but the truth is that you don't need to wear a mask.

JoeDavola
Just now, Carl Fimble said:

Good on you Joe!

That tannoy could say anything at all but the truth is that you don't need to wear a mask.

It's odd though - the word "mandatory" suggests it's enforceable by law.

• Agree 1
Carl Fimble
Just now, JoeDavola said:

It's odd though - the word "mandatory" suggests it's enforceable by law.

Yeah, but the law says you can't discriminate against people based on disabilities. 

JoeDavola
1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yeah, but the law says you can't discriminate against people based on disabilities. 

But would that mean if they did decide to call me up on it - I'd have to prove I had a disability that stopped me wearing a mask?