• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I know that Firefox is lousy - i.e. slow - at streaming YouTube videos these days due to how they load vides compared to how Google is implementing them. But browsing the internet on Firefox has jsut become painfully slow to load pages with it often just hanging.

I don't have the same problem with Chrome or IE.

I have done all the usual - checked and changed through the connection settings, cleared the caches, updated to different versions, etc - and it is still crap. Been putting up with this for a few months now. Seems to me that Firefox is just going downhill rapidly.

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I know that Firefox is lousy - i.e. slow - at streaming YouTube videos these days due to how they load vides compared to how Google is implementing them. But browsing the internet on Firefox has jsut become painfully slow to load pages with it often just hanging.

I don't have the same problem with Chrome or IE.

I have done all the usual - checked and changed through the connection settings, cleared the caches, updated to different versions, etc - and it is still crap. Been putting up with this for a few months now. Seems to me that Firefox is just going downhill rapidly.

Didn't someone on here say that the Mozilla guys had been bought out and started a new search engine?

6 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Didn't someone on here say that the Mozilla guys had been bought out and started a new search engine?

I think they work for George Soros, the browser will automatically filter what Soros considers #fakenews in the future.

Ditch Firefox. Have a look at Brave or Pale Moon.

Mozilla, the non-profit which runs the Firefox internet browser, said Wednesday it was launching a drive against "fake news" as fact-checking software backed by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar got its first run-out in publicThe US-based open source group said it was "investing in people, programs and projects" in a new initiative to actively "disrupt misinformation online"
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-08-mozilla-fact-checker-fake-news.html#jCp

Removing adblockplus - not just disabling it - seems to have improved things considerably.

Just found an article online about how much memory adblockplus now hogs and issues with connections. The advice was to remove it and go for uBlock Origin.

Chrome and IE still noticeably faster though but Firefox has speeded up since doing the above.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Removing adblockplus - not just disabling it - seems to have improved things considerably.

Just found an article online about how much memory adblockplus now hogs and issues with connections. The advice was to remove it and go for uBlock Origin.

Chrome and IE still noticeably faster though but Firefox has speeded up since doing the above.

Same here, AdBlock is more like BrowserBlock these days. Even without it, I still find that Firefox will wedge intermittently in a way that Chrome seems not to.

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Same here, AdBlock is more like BrowserBlock these days. Even without it, I still find that Firefox will wedge intermittently in a way that Chrome seems not to.

Glad that I am not the only one who feels this way.

I watch live gaming on youtube and Firefox keeps buffering and then hangs so I have to refresh every 4 or 5 minutes. I assumed it was my connection and I kept disconnecting and reconnecting my wireless. I then switched over to Chrome and the problem went.

I know that there is some video streaming war between Mozilla and Google ovder video standards.

1 minute ago, Uptherebels said:

Is there a reason why some of you seem to use multiple browsers?? 

You've got to be willing to switch between browsers whenever one of them gets really slow - they seem to take it in turns.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

TMT, you seem a tech savvy enough type of person to recommend to take a look at uMatrix too (if you've not already stumbled across it). It allows you to fine tune exactly what a page loads.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-gb/firefox/addon/umatrix/

Use firefox on all my PCs, the main one I use is a lowly ASUS Netbook with a single core Intel Atom processor.

Video has always been shit when viewed through firefox and I always assumed it was the lack of grunt or the wireless connection while waiting for it to buffer ahead of the stream and play the video without it seeming like a string of still photographs.

Might try something else now.

3 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

Is there a reason why some of you seem to use multiple browsers?? 

Some sites don't work properly with some versions of some browsers. I mainly use Chrome these days but will sometimes fallback to Firefox if I have an issue. I suspect this is mainly because I'm using Linux - given it's fairly low desktop penetration I suspect it's the least tested platform for most of the browser makers.

Mainly use Chrome at work as it's fast loading for our internal needs, tend not to use IE due to crap security and I use firefox on my desktop for using propertybee ;) 

Brave at home!

11 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Make more work for GCHQ.

You can get a browser/user-agent spoofer and not have all the hassle. I have this, for Firefox, it changes every few hours and pretends to be another browser/OS.

@The Masked Tulip are you using AdBlock? Uninstall it and try uBlock Origin, this worked for me. You should also try putting FF into safe mode and see if it's any quicker - if it is, it means it's a setting or plugin causing it, not your machine.

Ignore just seen your post above.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

You can get a browser/user-agent spoofer and not have all the hassle. I have this, for Firefox, it changes every few hours and pretends to be another browser/OS.

@The Masked Tulip are you using AdBlock? Uninstall it and try uBlock Origin, this worked for me. You should also try putting FF into safe mode and see if it's any quicker - if it is, it means it's a setting or plugin causing it, not your machine.

Yep, I posted above that I moved over from adblockpus to ublock orgin last night and things have improved dramatically. Still not as fast as Chrome or IE though. I will investigate further.

Chrome preloads content which is why people think it's "fast". In other words it logs what sites you visit and thinks it knows when you're going to revisit them, to simplify.

Firefox doesn't do this, AFAIK, for privacy reasons.