DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What's the craic regarding buying digital copies of videos from Amazon...?

The XYY Man
Go to solution Solved by DTMark,

Question

The XYY Man

I have some DVDs of a TV series that was shot in HD, but was only ever released in Standard Definition on DVD.

But I can now buy all the episodes in HD from Amazon, but not a physical copy. Being a bit of a Luddite, I have never done this before and have some questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1) Once I download my copies, are they mine for ever - even if I were to leave Amazon...?

2) Are they encrypted and only playable on certain devices...?

3) Can I make back-up copies...?

4) Ideally I'd like to build some menus, and burn them to a blank Blu-ray disc. I assume Amazon will not like me doing this, but is it possible...?

I am not particularly bothered if I need to use dodgy software to decrypt any digital rights management shite, is there something out there that can handle this...?

XYY

9 answers to this question

• Solution
DTMark

Are you looking at something like this? All it means is that you can watch it now, and again in the future without paying again. It does not mean you get to keep a copy.

But, yes, you can stream it on your PC and potentially make a copy of it. Bear in mind that the definition it streams at will be related to your internet connection so if that were to drop speed during the streaming, you'll get all or some portion of it at lower quality.

There may (I haven't checked) be sites which provide utilities to grab your own copies of stuff from Amazon.

amazon.jpg.943179185a1c81aa628502ed924ec840.jpg

DTMark

If you're looking at a screen in Amazon Prime which is giving you an option to "buy", all that means is that you can stream it whenever you like. You do not get an option to download anything to local storage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
The XYY Man
1 minute ago, DTMark said:

If you're looking at a screen in Amazon Prime which is giving you an option to "buy", all that means is that you can stream it whenever you like. You do not get an option to download anything to local storage.

Is it really that bad...? That's pretty crap as it'll cost me nearly thirty quid for the items in question.

I love the show so much I'm willing to pay that price for it, but I want a hard copy I can watch anywhere.

I do have some software that can record video and audio from the screen while you are streaming, but that's on my PC.

Do you know if I can stream items that I buy from Amazon to my PC...?

XYY

The XYY Man
2 hours ago, DTMark said:

Are you looking at something like this? All it means is that you can watch it now, and again in the future without paying again. It does not mean you get to keep a copy.

But, yes, you can stream it on your PC and potentially make a copy of it. Bear in mind that the definition it streams at will be related to your internet connection so if that were to drop speed during the streaming, you'll get all or some portion of it at lower quality.

There may (I haven't checked) be sites which provide utilities to grab your own copies of stuff from Amazon.

amazon.jpg.943179185a1c81aa628502ed924ec840.jpg

Yes, that screenshot is exactly what I am talking about.

I am aware of the potential limitations of grabbing internet streams as I have done this previously - hence why I already have software to do that job.

I do have pretty fast broadband, but it is not 100% immune to dropouts, especially when my wife is watching something on Netflix downstairs. 

Cheers for the help Mark. I think you've given me enough info to work the rest our for myself, very much appreciated.

XYY

201p

No wonder the old VGA capture cards are the best part of £200.

The new ones won't let you record stuff like movies streamed.

It looks like we're returning to the old days where people would sneak a camcorder into a cinema. Except now you might have a phone on a tripod in front of the smart TV.

Sssshhhh I'm recording!

• Agree 2
goldbug9999
Posted (edited)
On 18/04/2021 at 16:25, The XYY Man said:

Do you know if I can stream items that I buy from Amazon to my PC...?

Amazon Fire TV stick is what you want grandad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZW7QCM/

Although if you have a laptop with a HDMI out you can just plug that into the TV and then fullscreen the amazon browser video player, works decently enough.

Edited by goldbug9999
The XYY Man

I already have a Fire TV and a Firestick you cheeky whipersnapper, and you have clearly not understood my question.

I know how to watch stuff, I want to rip it and burn it to disks on my PC. 

I believe I can do it via a screen recorder, but was looking for a better and possibly quicker method.

I want a method of backing up an item I will buy as a digital stream onto optical media.

Andersen
Posted (edited)

It sounds like you've already worked out one option, watch it on Amazon and capture the stream on your pc. Convert to DVD or burn it to a backup disk at a later date.

A couple of browser add-in's I've used to capture streams are Snap-Tube and Video-Download-Helper. They add a button to your browser, click it when watching a movie to save the movie to your pc/laptop.

If there's a copy on Amazon, can you find a bootleg copy on one of the movie sharing sites? Plently of other sites have stuff to keep you out of mischief https://movies123.cam/movies 

Edited by Andersen
nirvana

Amazon is for puffs! Why don't you just download it from tpb.party? VPN and torrent client like transmission also needed ;)

I've been watching that Utopia series, 1st episode was ace! Cheers

• Agree 1