DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why can't the kids swing?

TheBlueCat

TheBlueCat

I've spent the last couple of week on a recording project with a pretty solid set of mixed amateur/professional musicians and I've discovered that the youngsters really struggle with swing whereas us old farts are fine with it. A reflection of modern musical tastes, modern teaching methods, something else? It's weird, they're absolutely fine with other rhythmic stuff - e.g. there's some samba in the project too which, on the face of it, is a lot more complex.

One percent
32 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've spent the last couple of week on a recording project with a pretty solid set of mixed amateur/professional musicians and I've discovered that the youngsters really struggle with swing whereas us old farts are fine with it. A reflection of modern musical tastes, modern teaching methods, something else? It's weird, they're absolutely fine with other rhythmic stuff - e.g. there's some samba in the project too which, on the face of it, is a lot more complex.

They probably don’t have pampas grass in their gardens. o.O

• Lol 3

TheBlueCat
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

They probably don’t have pampas grass in their gardens. o.O

That’s more swaying than swinging.

The parents of the youngsters were into disco. That's 4 to the floor and no swing to it. So their kids grew up not hearing much swing.

Although given the music used for tv ads, you'd think that all kids would be good at jazz and blues.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder

Love 4 to the floor, great in rock music also.

I did a gig not that long ago with a thrash band. Heard the drummer rehearsing the set on a practice kit. When he finished I remarked how like swing it sounded without the rest of the band. "Yes, swing it is really" he replied.

TheBlueCat
1 hour ago, jm51 said:

The parents of the youngsters were into disco. That's 4 to the floor and no swing to it. So their kids grew up not hearing much swing.

Although given the music used for tv ads, you'd think that all kids would be good at jazz and blues.

Probably best blame the parents. Do kids watch TV ads anymore?

12 hours ago, jm51 said:

TheBlueCat
6 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

The kids ain't swingin' because they ain't been taught to daddio...!

Stop being such a square...

;)

XYY

Well, I’m doing my bit. I’ve taken a couple of the totally square sounding parts, added some swing by painstaking use of Melodyne and then sent them back with “see if you can sound like this”. It’s hard work though, would be a lot easier in person.

On 19/04/2021 at 00:10, Bobthebuilder said:

Love 4 to the floor, great in rock music also.

I did a gig not that long ago with a thrash band. Heard the drummer rehearsing the set on a practice kit. When he finished I remarked how like swing it sounded without the rest of the band. "Yes, swing it is really" he replied.

I see rock as being ONE two Three four and disco as One Two Three Four.

I really like the Paul Anka album 'Rock Swings':

• Cheers 1

TheBlueCat
On 20/04/2021 at 12:20, The XYY Man said:

Engerland swings like a pendulum do...

XYY

I thought of that when I was writing the post. I vaguely remember hearing an analysis of it that claimed it was actually ironic and the “rosy red cheeks” thing was a sarcastic comment on how sick and pale and lot of kids looked in London at the time. 

• Informative 1