DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Pavement Parking

Chewing Grass

Chewing Grass

This will be fun, most estates round me will be impassable if this is enforced.

Drivers could face fines of up to £70 for parking outside their own home under a new law being considered by the government.

The new rule, if introduced, would make it illegal to park on pavements across the country in a bid to make roads and pathways safer for people with disabilities and parents pushing prams.

Pavement Parking is currently illegal in London and the Department for Transport are now considering introducing a nationwide ban.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/drivers-could-face-70-fine-20373165

sleepwello'nights

The planners where I used to live allowed the developers to provide one and a half parking spaces for each dwelling.

Where they used to provide garages they put car barns. FFS you could only leave a car there. Where are you going to store all the stuff that a garage is for!!

10 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Drivers could face fines of up to £70 for parking outside their own home under a new law being considered by the government.

The new rule, if introduced, would make it illegal to park on pavements across the country in a bid to make roads and pathways safer for people with disabilities and parents pushing prams.

Pavement Parking is currently illegal in London and the Department for Transport are now considering introducing a nationwide ban.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/drivers-could-face-70-fine-20373165

Round our estate that's going to replace pavement parking with pavement driving, as the roads are not wide enough to have a car parked and drive past.

As with nearly everything done with government,

This is an attempt to stop a certain behaviour,

Without any consideration as to where the behaviour came from, and what will happen once it is stopped.

A friend lives on a typical late 80s estate.

Been there since it opened up.

The excitement of having safe space for the kids to play and parking for 2 cars.

Fast forward ~30 years ...

The all the kids have grown up and are back at home, usually having their own car.

Mum now works 30 miles away and needs a car as theres no public transport link.

Dad has lost his job and set himself up as a van based trader.

Theres also the family car.

4 cars + 1 van.

This is pretty much repeated across the entire estate.

All the verges are brown mush.

• 2 weeks later...

Not just a problem in suburban estates either. Many small and ancient villages have no parking at all for most houses. Remember one night taking a diversion into the countryside from the traffic queues thrown off the M1 between Brum and Nottingham so they could replace a lightbulb or something [for anyone who hasn't noticed, our main motorways are often completely closed for a bit at night].

Anyway get to small villages with lots of nice thatched cottages walls right against the road, [mostly shiny German] cars parked both sides all the way through with only a single lane through the middle. Any pavements [limited] will not be functional for walking on. Assume they all bugger off to work daytime but no pavement parking gives them a problem, sensible solution is a park and ride [bike] multistory on a field on the edge of the village but don't see it happening.

Noallegiance
On 18/04/2021 at 22:39, Chewing Grass said:

Cue zero rubbish collections as dust carts have trouble around these estates even when everyone was at work or school.

On 19/04/2021 at 09:17, Cosmic Apple said:

Round our estate that's going to replace pavement parking with pavement driving, as the roads are not wide enough to have a car parked and drive past.

I despise these new estates - sometimes I see something I want to buy, get ready to call the seller, then see that it's 'in the rabbit warren' (my wife and I both use this term for it) and just can't be arsed to go and pick it up. Too much hassle to get there. Constant diving into gaps to let something coming the other way past, or reversing back. Squeezing down a narrow one car wide gap between parked cars both sides.

The other thing you notice is that the front doors are 1, maybe 2 paving slabs distance from the literal road and no pavement to walk on. How the fuck are they allowed to build estates like that? The kids have to literally share a space with cars to go anywhere.

3 hours ago, Boglet said:

I despise these new estates - sometimes I see something I want to buy, get ready to call the seller, then see that it's 'in the rabbit warren' (my wife and I both use this term for it) and just can't be arsed to go and pick it up. Too much hassle to get there. Constant diving into gaps to let something coming the other way past, or reversing back. Squeezing down a narrow one car wide gap between parked cars both sides.

The other thing you notice is that the front doors are 1, maybe 2 paving slabs distance from the literal road and no pavement to walk on. How the fuck are they allowed to build estates like that? The kids have to literally share a space with cars to go anywhere.

Ours was built in the 1950s iirc :P

So thankfully everyone has driveways for multiple cars and mostly use them! Its visitors generally causing the pavement parking.

Archived