DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Another conflict of interest

MrPin

Hopeful

It's understandable but it shouldn't happen

When a Government is so inept and ill-prepared, and probably, any party would have been the same, it is hardly surprising that they turned to the people that are closest to get them out of a hole.

This is largely due the pressure placed by the media and the easily-led public for immediate reactions that are impossible when ill-prepared and lacking in knowledge.

We need PPE, where is the PPE ?

We need Ventilators, where are the ventilators

We need millions of doses of vaccine, where are the millions of doses?

They all prevented careful, considered, rational thinking and planning.

Panic buying, no more no less.

Edited by Hopeful
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

To put this down as anything but corruption is crazy.

I know he has a dim view of "the public" - perhaps justified, on occasion - but to blame them for government troughing is a bit of a low blow.

Hopeful
40 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Put yourself in their shoes, what would you do if suddenly responsible for buying PPE ?

I've given it a few minutes thought

a) Get the current procurement departments for PPE in the NHS and military to use existing supply lines, authorise them to use their knowledge of the industry to get the PPE whereever they can. Authorise them to use their own initiative to increase cost etc

b) Go direct to known maufacturers like 3M , offer even to pay for a UK factory to supply to the UK as you can see future need increasing. Ask for their advice also on possibilities.

c) Speak to my mate who owns the local pub, see what he can do with £30 million, maybe the experience of buying pork scratching down the cash and carry will stand him in good experience for this challenge.

To put this down as anything but corruption is crazy.

That's what should have happened

I put down what did happen to utter ineptness, from which follows cronyism, which is corruption. 

A Primeminister and MPs completely out of their depth in every aspect. Unqualified for their roles. Desperately needing to be seen to be in control. People close to power step in and provide solutions that are grabbed in panic.

I doubt they went to their mate, I suspect that their sleazy mate, who'd funded them to be close at the right moment for opportunities such as this, went running to them with a solution for their problem; phew.

Someone may have said, "but Minister, 3M could supply" and got the reply "No time for that now Humphrey, it's a global pandemic, my mate says he can have them here tomorrow."

We elected the politicians

But to be fair, it was the only choice we are given because better people don't stand, because better people have other things to do.

Edited by Hopeful
  • Agree 7

sarahbell
1 hour ago, One percent said:

What’s the government doing blacking out names of people who are being paid public money.  

If you think labour is any more honest you're mad

• Agree 3

One percent
3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

If you think labour is any more honest you're mad

I don’t but I expect government to have a level of openness when spending our money 

• Lol 1

sarahbell
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I don’t but I expect government to have a level of openness when spending our money 

The real lucrative deals must be on the long term stationery

• Informative 1

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

When a Government is so inept and ill-prepared, and probably, any party would have been the same, it is hardly surprising that they turned to the people that are closest to get them out of a hole.

This is largely due the pressure placed by the media and the easily-led public for immediate reactions that are impossible when ill-prepared and lacking in knowledge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaborne_Freight

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Quite. 

I do wonder what the next panic buy will be.  Possibly a treatment of some sort.

• Agree 1

Hopeful
28 minutes ago, dgul said:

Quite. 

I do wonder what the next panic buy will be.  Possibly a treatment of some sort.

Now, if I could anticipate that..........

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, dgul said:

Quite. 

That was horrifically prescient of me.

Perhaps Boris is here.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, 23rdian said:

Look, it's football that matters.

Football matters because the people were told what the evil plan was and that gave them a window of opportunity to prevent it.

If the politicians had been honest, and told us about globalisation, mass immigration, debasement of British culture, people would considered that it matters.

Football fans knew their had been plans for a breakaway super league for years, but only acted when the plans were put in to motion. Hopefully this will trigger more long overdue reforms in football to reduce the power of billionaire owners.

It needs something more than political corruptness to wake people up, perhaps trying to put the great reset in to action will be the trigger, but it's reassuring that people power can still win, even if it's only football.

sarahbell

Pandemic rules:

You know the citizens of your country will die unless you get medical equipment in large numbers.

Do you 
(a) Follow normal tendering procedures and risk letting many people die 

(b) Attempt to get equipment to prevent the risk of people dying?

• Agree 1

Upsettah
On 20/04/2021 at 23:07, 23rdian said:

Look, it's football that matters.

I refer the right honourable ladies and gentlemen here to this Sleaford Mods track from way back in 2007 when they were good, especially the sentiment expressed at 03:30-03:35.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Upsettah said:

I refer the right honourable ladies and gentlemen here to this Sleaford Mods track from way back in 2007 when they were good, especially the sentiment expressed at 03:30-03:35.

How about 1:39?

• Cheers 1

Upsettah
Just now, Loki said:

How about 1:39?

Well spotted - They were 13 years ahead of their time, they just haven't realised it! :Jumping:

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1