• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Deep fat fryer

It is my 50th birthday next week. Because of my family background I see nothing special in this but my in-laws are insisting on getting me a present. I don't really need anything but have, for a year or two,  fancied a fryer to make decent chips.

In common with everything I have bought, I want to only buy once so it needs to be a good one that will last for years. 

Any recommendations?

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Thanks. But do they actually work as well? Can I get decent triple cooked chips, deep fried camembert or a proper battered haddock out of it?

Will it cook a samosa or a deep fried corned beef hash cube as well as an original oily machine?

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Thanks. But do they actually work as well? Can I get decent triple cooked chips, deep fried camembert or a proper battered haddock out of it?

Will it cook a samosa or a deep fried corned beef hash cube as well as an original oily machine?

Read the reviews - people say it makes chips for a family of four and makes them very well.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Read the reviews - people say it makes chips for a family of four and makes them very well.

Yes. But the reviews talk about making pizza and stuff. They are written, in the main, by morons who don't like cooking but love food.

Ps what I really want is this but I don't want to appear greedy

https://www.johnlewis.com/big-green-egg-medium-ceramic-bbq/p2229236?sku=234870308&s_kwcid=2dx92700023123616627&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh9_l-4mK1gIVbbHtCh0LGg7KEAQYASABEgKQlfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oops, should have been this:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/morphy-richards-household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/336_3155_32019_1997_xx/xx_xx_xx_xx_5-6-7-criteria.html

Bottom line - the air fryers are the way to go as they use much less oil. You really need to work out a price to spend and then read some reviews on the best one for that price.

Yes. But the reviews talk about making pizza and stuff. They are written, in the main, by morons who don't like cooking but love food.

Ps what I really want is this but I don't want to appear greedy

https://www.johnlewis.com/big-green-egg-medium-ceramic-bbq/p2229236?sku=234870308&s_kwcid=2dx92700023123616627&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh9_l-4mK1gIVbbHtCh0LGg7KEAQYASABEgKQlfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looks like a expensive version of dusty bin.

Oops, should have been this:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/morphy-richards-household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/336_3155_32019_1997_xx/xx_xx_xx_xx_5-6-7-criteria.html

Bottom line - the air fryers are the way to go as they use much less oil. You really need to work out a price to spend and then read some reviews on the best one for that price.

Again, I am not fussed about health. It will only be used once a month or so. Are they really as good as a proper hot bucket of dripping?

Again, I am not fussed about health. It will only be used once a month or so. Are they really as good as a proper hot bucket of dripping?

For sex or for chips?

People rave about them for chips. Obviously some brands will be better than others for chips so you need to spend some time doing some reading. The Phillips ones seem hghly rated.

Well folks, they reguarly pop up on Amazon daily deals - different makes at different times so just keep an eye out there if you want a good deal on one.

Do you know what the minimum amount of oil is to make a decent portion of chips in these things? I think I saw one called Air Fryer a while back, but I'm guessing it still actually needs oil.

You use much less oil or dripping as well.

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Do you know what the minimum amount of oil is to make a decent portion of chips in these things? I think I saw one called Air Fryer a while back, but I'm guessing it still actually needs oil.

Minute amounts. I had a good read of reviews of several models last year and people were talking about just drizzling the chips in oil. Others mentioned as little as a tea spoon.

Apparently the secret is to - during the cooking time of between 10 to 15 minutes - stop every now and then and move the chips around so that you ensure that the oil is coating them and cooking evenly.

For sex or for chips?

People rave about them for chips. Obviously some brands will be better than others for chips so you need to spend some time doing some reading. The Phillips ones seem hghly rated.

That is used far less than once a month 😕

My concern is that people think they are great but they are comparing them to oven chips.

I just can't see how you can do a battered fish properly in one.

And it is not just chips. I think I will take some persuading that an air fryer, apart from the health side, is actually better than a proper fryer.

Air fryers, don't believe the hype, you will still need to use fat / oil.

Just get a proper chip shop style basket fryer and change the oil regularly. 

I had one and i used to like doing potato scollops instead of chips. 

I've got one. I haven't used it in 10 years, because it's not easy to tip the oil out into a bottle once you're finished with it, and it goes rancid quick if you don't. I don't think it lasts all that long even if you do bottle it up every time, and I'm just too mean to waste oil like that.

Guess I should try and find a way to burn the leftover oil to heat the house or something, but as much as my wife loves scented candles, I don't think chip aroma is going to cut it.

Edit: and to be honest, my attempts at fried chips weren't that brilliant anyway. I find wedges baked in the oven in a deep metal roasting dish, with seasoning and a generous splosh of oil (but 10 pence worth rather than the £2 it costs to fill the fryer) to be just as good.

Edited by Rave

10 minutes ago, Rave said:

I've got one. I haven't used it in 10 years, because it's not easy to tip the oil out into a bottle once you're finished with it, and it goes rancid quick if you don't. I don't think it lasts all that long even if you do bottle it up every time, and I'm just too mean to waste oil like that.

Guess I should try and find a way to burn the leftover oil to heat the house or something, but as much as my wife loves scented candles, I don't think chip aroma is going to cut it.

Edit: and to be honest, my attempts at fried chips weren't that brilliant anyway. I find wedges baked in the oven in a deep metal roasting dish, with seasoning and a generous splosh of oil (but 10 pence worth rather than the £2 it costs to fill the fryer) to be just as good.

I think that is the problem. I don't actually need one, and if I did I would have bought one by now. But they want to buy me something. Pain in the ass really.

13 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think that is the problem. I don't actually need one, and if I did I would have bought one by now. But they want to buy me something. Pain in the ass really.

The buy something fecking else! :D

Rather than a fryer I would buy one of those pressure cookers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504482106&sr=8-1&keywords=one+pot+cooker

I'm a complete pain in the arse to buy presents for as well. I don't need any more stuff at all, I've already got too much, and none of the stuff I don't need but would like to have is within the sort of budget that my friends and family would spend on me anyway.

The default position used to be to just buy me a bottle of spirits, I'd always get enough for Christmas to stay pissed until twelfth night, but this year I've bolloxed that by drying out. Seriously considering just telling people not to get me anything this year. I could do a Chrismas List of cycling gear, I suppose.

49 minutes ago, Rave said:

Filter it and put in your car (pug 106 diesel ?)