Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Out door clothes protection from the weather


Recommended Posts

The Grey Man

I have deceided winter is at an end.

Not for gardening purposes. No...winter coats. Time for a clean and a waterproofing session.

I have to be outside a fair bit for work so I need water and heat protection.

I have a Ridgeline hunting 3/4 length coat. An outer. New Zealand based company. Great with huge pockets. I got XXL size...not a fat sod...but it means I can use over a full parker coat mid winter.

Anyway..dont often use as although breathable any moderate walking it dosent have the wicking/ humidy ability to stay dry inside. Its my over coat for use summer..or winter if sat outside but little exercise in shit weather.

This last few days...been washing my winter non waterproof coats...ie I add the protection after.

Nikwax wash in. Nikwax spray on after and then I use the supermarket oil based sprays on top.

Might cost be 20 quid per two winter coats a year.

I could buy just a top range coat. I dont as I like the look of non camping wear out amd about but with waterproofing most standard coats become a close second.

I wouldnt go hiking with this method but for city areas quite useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man

Almost done. The black coat I also dyed as it was looking a bit faded.

Just one more oil based waterproofer coat on this one. Ran out of spray.

 

Jobs a good un. Off they shortly go to the cupboard for next season. Washing clothes can be fun! 20210422_200007.thumb.jpg.a604f45b6feac94357050b0ddb718d1d.jpg

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
3 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

Almost done. The black coat I also dyed as it was looking a bit faded.

Just one more oil based waterproofer coat on this one. Ran out of spray.

 

Jobs a good un. Off they shortly go to the cupboard for next season. Washing clothes can be fun! 20210422_200007.thumb.jpg.a604f45b6feac94357050b0ddb718d1d.jpg

Don't forget to put your tennis balls in the dryer for any feather or down jackets.

Top tip

  • Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man
4 minutes ago, Straingone said:

Don't forget to put your tennis balls in the dryer for any feather or down jackets.

Top tip

Not heard of this S. What is the purpose?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
Just now, The Grey Man said:

Not heard of this S. What is the purpose?

Fluffs up the feathers and puts the air back inside the jacket. You can only put one jacket in and keep the temperature low. Noisy as heck, but they come out fully puffed and more importantly dry with no soggy lumps of feathers in the stitched corners.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man
1 minute ago, Straingone said:

Fluffs up the feathers and puts the air back inside the jacket. You can only put one jacket in and keep the temperature low. Noisy as heck, but they come out fully puffed and more importantly dry with no soggy lumps of feathers in the stitched corners.

Most useful. I have a few of my sons to process for next season so will add to the mix. Thanks.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
1 minute ago, The Grey Man said:

Most useful. I have a few of my sons to process for next season so will add to the mix. Thanks.

Sportsdirect for the tennis balls and Screwfix for the ear defenders.

  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man
1 minute ago, Straingone said:

Sportsdirect for the tennis balls and Screwfix for the ear defenders.

I fucked up last year.

Friend emigrated. Anyway left me a lot of outdoor gear. He lived more rural in the Peninnes.

There was a pair of furry snow boots. Machine washed. Then banged in dryer. Fucked both machines up! I had no time to look but my wife went on you tube..took both machines apart...fixed the struts in both machines that had rattled loose and took out the fur.

 

Saved me a big bill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
Just now, The Grey Man said:

I fucked up last year.

Friend emigrated. Anyway left me a lot of outdoor gear. He lived more rural in the Peninnes.

There was a pair of furry snow boots. Machine washed. Then banged in dryer. Fucked both machines up! I had no time to look but my wife went on you tube..took both machines apart...fixed the struts in both machines that had rattled loose and took out the fur.

 

Saved me a big bill.

She's a keeper, my top tip will save her some work on the tools hopefully.

I have been using this method for a while and it has save me a fortune in dry cleaning bills.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
jm51

I use a mesh laundry bag and a cold wash for suits and woollen coats. Got into it when I couldn't find a dry cleaner that did hats.

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
1 minute ago, jm51 said:

I use a mesh laundry bag and a cold wash for suits and woollen coats. Got into it when I couldn't find a dry cleaner that did hats.

Will try this at some point in the future as I haven't had to wear a suit for such a long time.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man
6 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I use a mesh laundry bag and a cold wash for suits and woollen coats. Got into it when I couldn't find a dry cleaner that did hats.

Again new to me. Mesh Laundry Bag. 

Dont want to be accused of being Mums Net..but..

Clothes in bag...and can go in both drier and washer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
30 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Again new to me. Mesh Laundry Bag. 

Dont want to be accused of being Mums Net..but..

Clothes in bag...and can go in both drier and washer?

xD We are all mumsnet deep down.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MrPin
1 hour ago, Straingone said:

Will try this at some point in the future as I haven't had to wear a suit for such a long time.

That was for the court appearance, although I am sure your parole date is far in the future.:S

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Straingone
7 hours ago, MrPin said:

That was for the court appearance, although I am sure your parole date is far in the future.:S

I am hoping my release date is not far off now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jm51
13 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

Again new to me. Mesh Laundry Bag. 

Dont want to be accused of being Mums Net..but..

Clothes in bag...and can go in both drier and washer?

The bag stops the textiles getting mashed up in the machinery.

I've never had a drier. They come out of a 800 rpm spin quite damp and then stay on an indoor rack until dry. Usually a couple of days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man

Just purchsed Nikwax direct wash in 5l..about £45.50.

 

Ordered last year May 10th...2020  £35. 04  5litres.

 

I think they they were the base price..then and now.

Steep increase.

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Frank Hovis
On 22/04/2021 at 23:49, jm51 said:

I use a mesh laundry bag and a cold wash for suits and woollen coats. Got into it when I couldn't find a dry cleaner that did hats.

I've successfully used the mesh bag for suits but in a hot tumble dryer with solvent sheet.

It's far better than using dry cleaners because it rpelicates their process but you are only doing one suit.

Apologies for the Amazon link but these sort of things.  They are single use but at about £2 per sheet they are a fraction of the price of a dry cleaner and far better.  Even old suits smell fresh afterwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woolite-Home-Cleaner-Fragrance-Cloths/dp/B00H3R1JTY

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Panther
On 22/04/2021 at 23:52, Straingone said:

Will try this at some point in the future as I haven't had to wear a suit for such a long time.

Don't machine wash a suit, the jacket has lots of shaping to it that will get destroyed.

You can gently handwash suit trousers but they will need ironing through a pressing cloth.

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Roger_Mellie
On 23/04/2021 at 23:21, The Grey Man said:

Just purchsed Nikwax direct wash in 5l..about £45.50.

 

Ordered last year May 10th...2020  £35. 04  5litres.

 

I think they they were the base price..then and now.

Steep increase.

Believe it or not there's a shortage of surfactants. Prices of the basic materials are through the roof this year. 

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...