• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Brothers, Down pickels.

No confusion. Workers say one thing, management another. Same as it ever was.

more interesting, I see jezza has waded in, fully supporting the workers. Has he not got anything better to do, such as working out labour' approach to Pakistani muslim grooming gangs?  Idiot

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

more interesting, I see jezza has waded in, fully supporting the workers. Has he not got anything better to do, such as working out labour' approach to Pakistani muslim grooming gangs?  Idiot

More complex.

Some wrokers say £10h

Franchise says nothing.

MaccD HQ says internal dispute.

Jezza says conirmation of the Chzaev based UK struggle and transgender rights.

I wonder if the franchisee has the cash to go fully automated or if Macs will sub him the equipment to "keep this contained". They could probably do with an arm's length test of the technology in the U.K.

Fully automated McD concept store: http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-restaurant-run-by-robots/

Edited by Hail the Tripod

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I wonder if the franchisee has the cash to go fully automated or if Macs will sub him the equipment to "keep this contained". They could probably do with an arm's length test of the technology in the U.K.

Fully automated McD concept store: http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-restaurant-run-by-robots/

A ocuple of the McDs my daughter likes have automated the ordering.

She likes it for that - gadget and screen and all; that.

She skips up, slects her food, then pays the money. I'd guess the auto tills have reduced employment by about 4 heads.

Once you have stuff digitaised in a system i.e. the order. I cannot be that hard to automate some other steps - auto fry portions, make drinks. etc.

22 minutes ago, spygirl said:

She skips up, slects her food, then pays the money. I'd guess the auto tills have reduced employment by about 4 heads.

Once you have stuff digitaised in a system i.e. the order. I cannot be that hard to automate some other steps - auto fry portions, make drinks. etc.

Really easy if you change the preparation and packaging of the raw materials to suit automation - basically make all the appropriate sized portions at the factory which makes handling / cooking much easier - fries for example in pre-measured portions, the weight/volume measuring devices running in fast time at the factory rather than having to build hundreds of machines with the tech to do the portioning at the sales outlet. Requires bigger investment at the outset though at scale, but even then not exactly hugely demanding tech even for mass rollout.

If they try and drive their wages up, they just increase the business case for getting rid of them and make it more likely that additional automation will be implemented in each shop to further reduce the headccount of staff.

10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

If they try and drive their wages up, they just increase the business case for getting rid of them and make it more likely that additional automation will be implemented in each shop to further reduce the headccount of staff.

Lots of ancillary benefits as well like longer opening hours where having a full staff might of not made economical sense. They look like they are in a tough spot at the moment, flat lining sales and are cannibalising their own profit with their saver menus. If any business was prime for near enough full automation it's them. Take out the human element and I'd expect there will suddenly be decent profit in a 99p cheeseburger.

12 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Lots of ancillary benefits as well like longer opening hours where having a full staff might of not made economical sense. They look like they are in a tough spot at the moment, flat lining sales and are cannibalising their own profit with their saver menus. If any business was prime for near enough full automation it's them. Take out the human element and I'd expect there will suddenly be decent profit in a 99p cheeseburger.

Wage costs in the outlet were around 25% when I worked there 20 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Wage costs in the outlet were around 25% when I worked there 20 years ago. 

Automation could reduce need for space too - faster turnaround - pre-ordering, less parking space, less queuing, less space required around cooking facilities for staff to move around, less space behind the serving counters, fewer serving counters. Smaller outlets with rapid turnaround designed to work automated from the start could cannibalise the old outlets' business model in terms of costs. Look at the size of a vending machine compared to a small shop or even mobile catering van - albeit with hugely reduced product range.

Edited by onlyme

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Own up its you isn't it :P 

40 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I'll have a couple of cheeseburgers when I'm there with my children that's about it. £1.98. I work for spoons and can understand the move towards automation however there's a lot of back ground effort in pouring that pint or serving up fries and that requires staff on standby (or put to better use serving customers?!). If a customer drops a glass or spills a drink where does automation fit in here? The close down at my place is a good hour and a half for two people in the bar and two in the kitchen, it's labour intensive - especially on the grills (hint the kitchen staff absolutely hate it when an order for a large mixed grill comes through at 22:55hrs as they'll have almost finished their close down - and that puts them back 30-45minutes). Only way this would be doable is if there was an ancillary service provider (like PHS for washroom deep cleaning) and any savings on headcount would be swallowed up here - it won't be cheap.

I don't think anyone other than management at McDonalds deserves anywhere near £10 an hour. Guy Hands bought the licensing rights to 435 Nordic McDonalds restaurants this year and if anyone has a motive for an automotive efficiency drive it'll him so worth watching how things pan out over there. 

Bold statement: in the current economic climate £7.50 an hour is a liveable wage (for a couple at least), single blokes should do a men behaving badly. Even on 30 hours a week that's a monthly combined net income of ~£1,750.

Edited by longtomsilver

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

Own up its you isn't it :P 

I'll have a couple of cheeseburgers when I'm there with my children that's about it. £1.98. I work for spoons and can understand the move towards automation however there's a lot of back ground effort in pouring that pint or serving up fries and that requires staff on standby (or put to better use serving customers?!). If a customer drops a glass or spills a drink where does automation fit in here? The close down at my place is a good hour and a half for two people in the bar and two in the kitchen, it's labour intensive - especially on the grills (hint the kitchen staff absolutely hate it when an order for a large mixed comes through at 22:55hrs as they'll have almost finished their close down - and that puts them back 30-45minutes). Only way this would be doable is if there was an ancillary service provider (like PHS for washroom deep cleaning) and any savings on headcount would be swallowed up here - it won't be cheap.

I don't think anyone other than management at McDonalds deserves anywhere near £10 an hour. Guy Hands bought the licensing rights to 435 Nordic McDonalds restaurants this year and if anyone has a motive for an automotive efficiency drive it'll him so worth watching how things pan out over there. 

Bold statement: in the current economic climate £7.50 an hour is a liveable wage (for a couple at least), single blokes should do a men behaving badly. Even on 30 hours a week that's a monthly combined net income of ~£1,750.

It would be all about extracting the most useful tasks from the staff available - 3 cooks down to two, 3 bar/service staff down to 2 in this sort of instance. All restocking/cleaning/general activities still done by staff but automation spliced in as and when possible/efficient. In parallel more automated  food outlets (without the space/overheads) would add increasing competition for the lower end market space. Could do all sorts of stuff - self service/self clean - put rfid in packaging and you get a refund when the packaging is popped into the bin or plates  returned to collecting station, that sort of thing. Its not just the human staff that can do the job for your if you can incentivise the customer to do it for you.

If anyone can make automation of the process of delivering f&b it is surely McD's, with their starting point of a cardboard taste, limited menu lines, and multiple outlets worldwide to aggregate the capital cost of the equipment to make it work.

I expect the end result will be a duty engineer between a cluster of stores and a single security guard per store, meaning average headcount per store would be 2-4, depending on opening hours.

I would imagine that would increase profitability, but, as The Gardener says, reduce overall demand.

Edited by Bkkandrew
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Apparently it is already happening in higher wage economies with the french fry machines and McCafe Coffee production being automated first.

I saw a baguette vending machine last time I was in France.

Mind you they used to have egg vending machines at farm gates years ago. I saw one such machine dating from the 1950s in a Rural Life museum.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I am pretty sure you said you voted for Corbyn!!  :Old:

Je regrette...

10 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I am pretty sure you said you voted for Corbyn!!  :Old:

Je regrette...

Good memory. Yes I did but his behaviour towards Sarah champion has changed my mind. Odious cretin that will apparently sacrifice the children of his core voters to the great social experiment. Worse than Herod. 

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

That sounds a better system than getting stuck behind mouth breathers that can't decide what they want to order. It's unreal how many times I've walked out of a fast food restaurant because there is a queue.

21 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

That sounds a better system than getting stuck behind mouth breathers that can't decide what they want to order. It's unreal how many times I've walked out of a fast food restaurant because there is a queue.

It's the people who very visibly show impatience while waiting in the queue, but then have no idea what they want to order when they get to the till that really wind me up. 

21 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It's the people who very visibly show impatience while waiting in the queue, but then have no idea what they want to order when they get to the till that really wind me up. 

Yeah well.. MaccyDs is well known for its daily changes to its menu ...

You are probably going to have a burger. I may or may not have cheese on it. It may be made of chicken or, unlikely, fish.

The system does work well. I asked the cashier woman - I never pay by deb it card - and she says the order stars as soon as you finish your order.