DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What SatNav to buy

Frank Hovis

Question

Frank Hovis

My current one, TomTom I think, is ten years old and has become useless.

It's like having an idiot barking instructions at me "turn left, no right, turn around when possible, turn left in 200 yards, turn left now".

Plus it has been years since the battery would actually hold a charge - i.e. function as a battery.

As a man of leisure I'm not bothered about traffic updates but simply want a SatNav that:

• Has current maps
  • Has a battery worthy of the name

Are there any particular models I should be looking at?  Will probably buy over Ebay.

22 answers to this question

One percent
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

No lifetime updates and as I'm often picking somebody up for walks in the ten minutes the car is turned off the satnav dies and has to be restarted, find the satellites, and the destination re-input.

I've had it over ten years and it only cost £60 so I'm happy that I bought value but would like to do so again and ten years' on from that the products will have changed.

I would go for a tomtom. You are familiar with it and one with lifetime updates will mean that it’s never confused thinking you are in a muddy field. 

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass

Do you actually need one 90% of the time, I can get anywhere in the country in my head, the only problems crop up in the last 5 miles or 500yds and my phone can sort that.

• Agree 2

One percent
11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My current one, TomTom I think, is ten years old and has become useless.

It's like having an idiot barking instructions at me "turn left, no right, turn around when possible, turn left in 200 yards, turn left now".

Plus it has been years since the battery would actually hold a charge - i.e. function as a battery.

As a man of leisure I'm not bothered about traffic updates but simply want a SatNav that:

• Has current maps
  • Has a battery worthy of the name

Are there any particular models I should be looking at?  Will probably buy over Ebay.

I’ve a tomtom with lifetime updates on maps and also has real time traffic. A god send when in londonistan. However, i rarely need the traffic thing now but good on longer journeys in busier times. 
do you need a good battery when it can be plugged into the fag lighter?  

Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve a tomtom with lifetime updates on maps and also has real time traffic. A god send when in londonistan. However, i rarely need the traffic thing now but good on longer journeys in busier times. 
do you need a good battery when it can be plugged into the fag lighter?  

No lifetime updates and as I'm often picking somebody up for walks in the ten minutes the car is turned off the satnav dies and has to be restarted, find the satellites, and the destination re-input.

I've had it over ten years and it only cost £60 so I'm happy that I bought value but would like to do so again and ten years' on from that the products will have changed.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Do you actually need one 90% of the time, I can get anywhere in the country in my head, the only problems crop up in the last 5 miles or 500yds and my phone can sort that.

I don't think that you live in Cornwall :)

The road network here, particularly in the south of the county where the big sunken river valleys cut into the land, is utterly bizarre.

Edit: for example if you want to go to Porthcurno or The Minack your best route is to ignore the signage and instead go five miles past the turn off and then come back on a much better road.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Bornagain

When the satnav in my car packed in, I bought my first smartphone and have used google maps every since,

the phone cost me about £150 and works more effectively than the old satnav ever did.

I might be missing something, but I don't understand why you would do anything else.

• Agree 3

swiss_democracy_for_all
12 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think that you live in Cornwall :)

The road network here, particularly in the south of the county where the big sunken river valleys cut into the land, is utterly bizarre.

Edit: for example if you want to go to Porthcurno or The Minack your best route is to ignore the signage and instead go five miles past the turn off and then come back on a much better road.

Yeah I remember that kind of thing, but do you mean to say that the TomTom had “road quality” info built into it and always directed you to take the best real-life “Cornish” routes? I had no idea they were that good if so. 

• Agree 1

Option5

I have an old TomTom which I got fed up with buying updates and a Garmin with lifetime updates I bought to replace it for use in hire cars in Europe, both fairly useless.

For the last two years I've been using Google maps or Waze on my phone.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
12 hours ago, Bornagain said:

When the satnav in my car packed in, I bought my first smartphone and have used google maps every since,

the phone cost me about £150 and works more effectively than the old satnav ever did.

I might be missing something, but I don't understand why you would do anything else.

7 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I have an old TomTom which I got fed up with buying updates and a Garmin with lifetime updates I bought to replace it for use in hire cars in Europe, both fairly useless.

For the last two years I've been using Google maps or Waze on my phone.

I have limited data and assumed that Waze used a lot.

I'm looking to use it for maybe two hours a week - is it data heavy or light?

Frank Hovis
16 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah I remember that kind of thing, but do you mean to say that the TomTom had “road quality” info built into it and always directed you to take the best real-life “Cornish” routes? I had no idea they were that good if so. 

No it doesn't have that but without it you can go hugely off course and significantly lengthen your dirve.  I estimate I did a good five miles yesterday that I didn't need to do.

Mine has been playing up for a couple of years and for one village I visited on several successive weekends I noticed that it had taken me in by a different way each time but they were all dreadful - long runs of single track roads - so the next time I ignored it and followed the sign and was straight there on decent roads.

Even in familiar areas if you take a wrong turn you can have a problem.  A while ago I found myself aimlessly driving around Illogan for ten minutes unable to find the way out.  It wasn't the full League of Gentlemen experience as I gave up trying, parked and plugged in the Satnav.  The Satnav is mostly more of a comfort blanket as generally I know where I'm going but on reaching a road junction it is helpful to have a voice confirming that you go left or whatever.

Option5
8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

To be honest I have no idea, I have "unlimited" data as part of my contract.

• Informative 1

Bornagain
24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know how much google maps uses, but I use it quite a lot, and have never noticed my data consumption going up.

I have used Google Maps for about 6 hours last Monday and my total phone data use since 27-March is less than 1.5GB so I would say that Google Maps  uses practically no data.

In any event, you can get 30GB a month for a £10, so data these days is practically free.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis

I had Google Maps but have now also downloaded the offline maps, enabled location finder, and turned the volume up.

Fantastic - that's exactly what I wanted plus it's saved me £100.

I didn't know that my phone could do that.

My plans for replacing my smart phone with a Nokia-type have just been scrapped.  Sorry @The XYY Man.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 1

invalid
21 hours ago, Bornagain said:

Totally agree, I ditched my satnav years ago and use my phone.

The only difference is that I prefer to use Here WeGo over Google and Waze.

https://wego.here.com/

Nice simple interface, does a little chime if you go over the speed limit, speed camera warnings, downloadable maps. It was originally developed by Nokia.

Sat nav for me these days is as much about not getting speeding tickets as finding your way somewhere.

Other tips are to get a good quality phone holder and if your car doesn't have a USB port get a power bank (or build one yourself with a case and buy some decent 18650 cells).

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

goldbug9999
9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have limited data ...

Lol thats hilarious, lamest excuse imaginable, there are people doing 30GB a month for a tenner these days.

EDIT: ninjad by @Bornagain

Edited by goldbug9999

Carl Fimble
On 24/04/2021 at 10:11, Frank Hovis said:

I use Google Maps a fair bit, and just checked how much data it's been using- over the last four months 20mb-50mb a month. I think it lets you download maps while on WiFi, so it doesn't actually use much at all. Got Waze Too but I've never really used it. 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I use Google Maps a fair bit, and just checked how much data it's been using- over the last four months 20mb-50mb a month. I think it lets you download maps while on WiFi, so it doesn't actually use much at all. Got Waze Too but I've never really used it. 

First trial tomorrow on my new phone.

Following advice here I searched how Google Maps works offline and what you need to do is choose directions for where you want to go when at home on WiFi, download the map as you say, and then it works offline as long as you enable location which I have.

If it works then great I've saved £100 but equally good is I don't have a whole new lump of kit to carry around as my phone does it, or need to update, retain receipt and box etc. etc.

I'm expecting it to work ok.

Carl Fimble
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Following advice here I searched how Google Maps works offline and what you need to do is choose directions for where you want to go when at home on WiFi, download the map as you say, and then it works offline as long as you enable location which I have.

If it works then great I've saved £100 but equally good is I don't have a whole new lump of kit to carry around as my phone does it, or need to update, retain receipt and box etc. etc.

Handy for walking/cycling directions too.

• Informative 1

Carl Fimble
26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My Google maps has an option (settings-offline maps-select your own map) download a whole region/area :

Screenshot_20210429-213032.png

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp
  • Informative 1

On 24/04/2021 at 19:46, goldbug9999 said:

Lol thats hilarious, lamest excuse imaginable, there are people doing 30GB a month for a tenner these days.

EDIT: ninjad by @Bornagain

My phone has unlimited data but there's no signal where I live, on any network. Paradoxically my ADSL internet connection does have a data cap so I have to watch the bytes when working at home.