DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Is it time to ban the Stones' Brown Sugar?

Dave Bloke

Is it time to ban the Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar ?

(ask various woke publications)

“Brown Sugar” is gross, sexist, and stunningly offensive toward black women. The lyrics tell of underage black girls sold at the New Orleans Slave market for the sexual pleasure of their grizzled old owner.  Indeed the lyrics are so bad the Stones don't even sing them in live performances any-more. The song was originally to be called "Black Pussy" but in a moment of clear headedness Jagger censored his own title. Everything else — the misogyny, the racism, the sexism, the references to drugs and cunnilingus — would stay. Since then, it’s been called one of the nastiest, most controversial, and racist songs of all time. Is it time to ban it forever?

Edited by Dave Bloke
DTMark

I'm not particularly a fan so I've never really listened to it.

A couple of the lines are, shall I say, ill-advised, and oddly enough not just now, but probably back then, too.

It was a hit back in the day. It is a piece of history. If people are offended by it then they don't need to listen to it. It does not need to be banned so that nobody else may listen to it.

It is called context. The sexist and homophobic jokes in Life on Mars were of their time and represented accurately over 25 years later, and sometimes we can cast a light on something that was ill-judged by viewing it in a modern context. All that really matters is that we learn from things.

• Agree 1
dgul

It is nice to be able to worry about the stupid made up lyrics from an old song.

I presume that people held in slavery (including sexual slavery) in those places around the world where there actually still is slavery have more things to worry about.

• Agree 2
swiss_democracy_for_all

So rap and hip-hop lyrics are ok, but these lyrics aren't?

Better black up or find a black ancestor, Mick. 

• Agree 4
Sucralose Ray Leonard

Young Girl, get out of my mind..

My love for you is way out of line

You better run Girl

You're much too young Girl

eight
15 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Young Girl, get out of my mind..

My love for you is way out of line

You better run Girl

You're much too young Girl