DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Bastard Vendors

Horrified Onlooker

Horrified Onlooker

Having been on ToS for many years, I relented to domestic pressure and we went SSTC at the end of May. Today we signed contracts with the plan to exchange next week (the house is chain free).

Within hours of signing, we were sent the fixtures & fittings list for the house. The vendors want £500 for the Aga! The list was signed on 10/07 so they have been sitting on it until we're committed to buying. If I delay the purchase, I end up paying interest to the vendor. If I refuse to pay I have a horrible hole in the kitchen and thousands to replace the Aga. I really feel like I'm being mugged. The Aga was mentioned in both the brochure and rightmove listing for the house....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chewing Grass
10 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Having been on ToS for many years, I relented to domestic pressure and we went SSTC at the end of May. Today we signed contracts with the plan to exchange next week (the house is chain free).

Within hours of signing, we were sent the fixtures & fittings list for the house. The vendors want £500 for the Aga! The list was signed on 10/07 so they have been sitting on it until we're committed to buying. If I delay the purchase, I end up paying interest to the vendor. If I refuse to pay I have a horrible hole in the kitchen and thousands to replace the Aga. I really feel like I'm being mugged. The Aga was mentioned in both the brochure and rightmove listing for the house....

Check the used prices out on ebay and yes its true http://www.webuyanyaga.com

These things can be worth considerably more than £500, there may be money to be made!!!

Horrified Onlooker
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Check the used prices out on ebay and yes its true http://www.webuyanyaga.com

These things can be worth considerably more than £500, there may be money to be made!!!

The value isn't the issue, it would be madness to lose the stove. I'm just livid to be paying for it twice!

19 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

What scumbags. Have you spoken to your solicitor to see what the legal position is? in Scotland the Aga would count as a fixture and it would automatically be included as part of the sale, Can you play some cunning trick where you only decline the Aga at the last minute, leaving them no time to have it removed? You can then take possession of the house and negotiate from a position of strength.

Alternatively you could fit a more practical stove to fit the gap - conventional oil Agas cost a bomb to run and are really the option of last resort. If you're in the country and only have oil available they are an option but they're a pain in summer and most Aga owners have another conventional stove in their kitchen so the can turn the aga off for half the year....!

22 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

What scumbags. Have you spoken to your solicitor to see what the legal position is? in Scotland the Aga would count as a fixture and it would automatically be included as part of the sale, Can you play some cunning trick where you only decline the Aga at the last minute, leaving them no time to have it removed? You can then take possession of the house and negotiate from a position of strength.

Alternatively you could fit a more practical stove to fit the gap - conventional oil Agas cost a bomb to run and are really the option of last resort. If you're in the country and only have oil available they are an option but they're a pain in summer and most Aga owners have another conventional stove in their kitchen so the can turn the aga off for half the year....!

What he said, unless you really like the Aga aesthetics I think they may be doing you a favour, Chuck a gas rangemaster or similar in there maybe. Or call their bluff hoping for the aga to stay as they only have a week to find a buyer for that and get it moved.

I had this when we bought our house over a shed. The sales particulars said that there was a shed. Vendor changed her mind. Our solicitor got shirty and it had to stay.  

This was a long time ago and things might have changed... 

1 hour ago, This Time said:

Don't they have to give you the fixtures and fittings list before you exchange?

Yes. It comes with the sale pack.

If you committed to buy without seeing it, you're screwed.

However, you haven't as you haven't exchanged yet.

Tell em to FCK off and drop the offer price by 1k as a penalty. Tell them house princes are falling you know....

Horrified Onlooker

We got it after signing but before exchanging. An exchange date has  been agreed and if we miss that date, because of us, we start paying interest to the vendor. 

I'm jarred off with the solicitor that we were allowed sign without the fixtures list.

GET RID OF THE AGA!

I have an AGA, they are completely and utterly wank. Cost £300 to service, about £400 a month to run, and just try making a stirfry on them, you won't be able to as the hobs do not get hot enough. Yes, they are great for a corny image but nothing else. Honestly, get rid.

They are doing you a favour!!

I wish I got rid of mine and just got a nice electric oven and induction hob. Oh how I miss my old hob.

30 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

We got it after signing but before exchanging. An exchange date has  been agreed and if we miss that date, because of us, we start paying interest to the vendor. 

I'm jarred off with the solicitor that we were allowed sign without the fixtures list.

Ah, misread your OP - are you really committed to buy once you sign? I thought exchange was the no going back stage. I'd be very pissed off with the solicitor - that seems like a pretty big oversight on their part. I'd probably insist that someone else checks the rest of their work to make sure they haven't missed anything important. Given Spunko's running cost estimate I'd let the vendors keep the Aga though. 

swiss_democracy_for_all
31 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

GET RID OF THE AGA!

I have an AGA, they are completely and utterly wank. Cost £300 to service, about £400 a month to run, and just try making a stirfry on them, you won't be able to as the hobs do not get hot enough. Yes, they are great for a corny image but nothing else. Honestly, get rid.

They are doing you a favour!!

I wish I got rid of mine and just got a nice electric oven and induction hob. Oh how I miss my old hob.

Still not really doing him a favour as if he wanted to get rid (and I agree they're rubbish) he could flog it to some mug who wants a magazine kitchen.

5 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Still not really doing him a favour as if he wanted to get rid (and I agree they're rubbish) he could flog it to some mug who wants a magazine kitchen.

OK if they are assigning £500 value to it and it was in the original brochure and listing then get solicitor to ask for £500 off and insist it is taken away!

40 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Depends on the condition of the AGA. As with most things, they aren't "worth" that much in used value if they are really old or really poor condition. People see that they cost £10k new and expect a used one to be at least worth a few £k, but if the solicitor/vendor is only assigning a £500 nominal value to it, it seems unlikely it's worth much more in the used market.  My AGA was installed in 2010 and on the fixtures & fittings IIRC the vendor assigned a value of £5k for it.

There is also the question as to if it even works - normally these things are sold as seen and not tested. They are a bastard to get rid of, if there is no value to selling it on.

1 hour ago, This Time said:

Ah, misread your OP - are you really committed to buy once you sign? I thought exchange was the no going back stage. I'd be very pissed off with the solicitor - that seems like a pretty big oversight on their part. I'd probably insist that someone else checks the rest of their work to make sure they haven't missed anything important. Given Spunko's running cost estimate I'd let the vendors keep the Aga though. 

No you are not committed until you exchange. This is done over the phone by solicitors on a Friday usually.

2 hours ago, onlyme said:

OK if they are assigning £500 value to it and it was in the original brochure and listing then get solicitor to ask for £500 off and insist it is taken away!

This. They're rubbish. Get a similar style gas range, much better for cooking. You won't regret it.

swiss_democracy_for_all
3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Depends on the condition of the AGA. As with most things, they aren't "worth" that much in used value if they are really old or really poor condition. People see that they cost £10k new and expect a used one to be at least worth a few £k, but if the solicitor/vendor is only assigning a £500 nominal value to it, it seems unlikely it's worth much more in the used market.  My AGA was installed in 2010 and on the fixtures & fittings IIRC the vendor assigned a value of £5k for it.

There is also the question as to if it even works - normally these things are sold as seen and not tested. They are a bastard to get rid of, if there is no value to selling it on.

Hope they take it away then!

On running costs alone replacing the damned thing might pay for itself in a couple of years.

What hasn't been made clear is if Mrs HO (it's usually the lady, apologies if wrong in this case) is terribly attached to the idea of having an Aga. This could throw a major spanner in the works of Mr HO's peaceful life.

22 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

What hasn't been made clear is if Mrs HO (it's usually the lady, apologies if wrong in this case) is terribly attached to the idea of having an Aga. This could throw a major spanner in the works of Mr HO's peaceful life.

A list for Mrs HO.

https://www.theovencleaningbusiness.co.uk/uncategorized/5-reasons-not-to-buy-an-aga-cooker/

5 Reasons Not To Buy an AGA Cooker

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Hope they take it away then!

On running costs alone replacing the damned thing might pay for itself in a couple of years.

I tend to think people who have an emotional attachment to an oven are a bit... odd. I remember reading a post on mumsnet where the husband said she can keep the aga if they don't go on any family holidays as cost wise it's the same... she opted for the aga! 

sleepwello'nights

My mother got a job as a housekeeper when she left Dad so she had somewhere for us to live. It was a looong time ago. The house she worked in had an Aga. The meals she cooked for us on it were really delicious, so I'm surprised to hear that you don't rate them.

Coincidentally a client of mine lives just down the road from where the house was. It's been demolished and replaced with a housing estate!

43 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

To be fair most of them are inherited. I seem to recall reading that aga are only selling less than 1 oven a day now. Bit of a shame really. 

They could have moved on design-wise, kept the aesthetic and brand name, made more modern functional ovens, other appliances even if they wanted to. Sitting on your laurels is not the way to sweat a brand.

Horrified Onlooker
4 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I had a Stanley range (Irish equivalent) growing up and I am under no illusions about running costs.

SWMBO however believes the Aga will 'transform' family life....:wanker:

The solicitor has, with some encouragement, decided to earn his fees and is challenging the vendors. I will update as and when.

7 hours ago, Green Devil said:

No you are not committed until you exchange. This is done over the phone by solicitors on a Friday usually.

There is no commitment before exchange, even when you have signed. At the time of exchange the solicitors get together on the phone and conduct an XYZ (there is special name for the conversation) which then commits and finalised the documents and you will then and ony then be committed. I would not exchange without a contents list as you have no idea what you are buying (carpets, light fittings etc). If the Aga is not on the list then you can choose to walk away as they can if they really want the £500/Aga that much.

swiss_democracy_for_all
44 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

SWMBO however believes the Aga will 'transform' family life....:wanker:

I expect you already realise after long experience that the  lady doesn't believe this, they are not stupid, it's merely the chosen ploy to get her own way - a typical emotionally-based one as if you disagree you are one way or another accused of putting money and sense above family life.

Archived