Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made some little squeaks of excitement while watching this.  

Goth disco!... The one with the foaming mouth is gonna give you the rona 😂 

This is lovely. Why dads - and men - great.  

Posted Images

This is interesting, Apparently some guy turned up an airport to look at a new aircraft he had bought - looks like some kind of para-motor craft - and asked whether he could taxi it. Told people that he was going to have his first lesson soon. But he decided to take off and...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c2_1493420133

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning in Pyongyang

And here is the Album Version

Let's be honest it is better than the some of the shit blared out of the radio here and the average NK citizens are probably imbibing no more propaganda when they wake up each day than the average viewer of the So-Called BBC Breakfast News show each week day morning

Edited by Flirtygirty
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

They think that was a translation error - can't retune to can't turn off.

Or just a journo trying to embelish a sinister story about NK.

NK is undoubtedly bat shit crazy but I suspect any alien life form watching western TV would probably think the same of us.

Our brainwashing just comes in the form of the X Factor, crappy soap operas and Premier League football etc.  We have stupid celebs and sports 'personalities' occupying the role of the 'Dear Leader' to attract the devotion of the masses. These can be cycled endlessly by the media to stop the plebs getting bored.

 

Edited by Flirtygirty
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flirtygirty said:

NK is undoubtedly bat shit crazy but I suspect any alien life form watching western TV would probably think the same of us.

Our brainwashing just comes in the form of the X Factor, crappy soap operas and Premier League football etc.  We have stupid celebs and sports 'personalities' occupying the role of the 'Dear Leader' to attract the devotion of the masses. These can be cycled endlessly by the media to stop the plebs getting bored.

 

Is NK accepting gimmegrants from the West? 

Edited by whitevanman
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

A few of them died last year - two at the same time IIRC. 3 had an accident on the same jump. One survived - just.

I'm not surprised. They were very close to those cliffs. One wrong move. It did look as if they were very experienced, almost blasé in their approach. But, and I know nothing about this other than what I've gleaned from wildlife programmes, the air currents must be incredibly unpredictable.

Sad.  But beautiful footage 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

I'm not surprised. They were very close to those cliffs. One wrong move. It did look as if they were very experienced, almost blasé in their approach. But, and I know nothing about this other than what I've gleaned from wildlife programmes, the air currents must be incredibly unpredictable.

Sad.  But beautiful footage 

 

A lot of them just smash into rocks - either they misjudge the space or they hit the ground but underestimating how fast the ground is coming up. They basically fly into the ground. There are a few videos on youtube showing some of these guys just five or six feet off the ground because the ground has come up so quickly.

Some peope argue that some of the ones who have died were being pushed to do more and more dangerous flights due to the lure of money from the sponsors of documentaries. I suspect it was partially that and partially the need for the thrill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a video a few days ago of a Brazilian power worker who had slipped on a tower and fallen to his death. Only in his 20's. But the poor guy's clothing was basically an old sports t-shirt and a pair of tracksuit bottoms - clearly his own - and his safety harness comprised of one old looking far too big harness with one caribiner.

It is sad to think that he died, most likely when he unhooked the carbiner to move, where a second caribiner on his harness would have kept him alive.

My point being that there was a guy doing a dangerous job with basically piss poor equipment or lack of equipment and then you have guys like this with state of the art wingsuits. The end result is the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

A lot of them just smash into rocks - either they misjudge the space or they hit the ground but underestimating how fast the ground is coming up. They basically fly into the ground. There are a few videos on youtube showing some of these guys just five or six feet off the ground because the ground has come up so quickly.

Some peope argue that some of the ones who have died were being pushed to do more and more dangerous flights due to the lure of money from the sponsors of documentaries. I suspect it was partially that and partially the need for the thrill.

:(  have you tried it tmt?  I suppose if you were really careful it would be a fantastic experience. These guys I would think are at the extreme end 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I saw a video a few days ago of a Brazilian power worker who had slipped on a tower and fallen to his death. Only in his 20's. But the poor guy's clothing was basically an old sports t-shirt and a pair of tracksuit bottoms - clearly his own - and his safety harness comprised of one old looking far too big harness with one caribiner.

It is sad to think that he died, most likely when he unhooked the carbiner to move, where a second caribiner on his harness would have kept him alive.

My point being that there was a guy doing a dangerous job with basically piss poor equipment or lack of equipment and then you have guys like this with state of the art wingsuits. The end result is the same.

Splat...!!!

 

XYY

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

:(  have you tried it tmt?  I suppose if you were really careful it would be a fantastic experience. These guys I would think are at the extreme end 

 

No. Too old for that stuff. That came after my time. I would not do it. Lots of stuff I used to do when younger I stopped doing a good 10 to 15 years back.

I think it is amazing and am jealous of the adrenalin fix they get but life is too precious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Splat...!!!

 

XYY

 

Heart of gold 

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

 

No. Too old for that stuff. That came after my time. I would not do it. Lots of stuff I used to do when younger I stopped doing a good 10 to 15 years back.

I think it is amazing and am jealous of the adrenalin fix they get but life is too precious.

Never too old in some ways but age does bring on a sense of ones own mortality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

:(  have you tried it tmt?  I suppose if you were really careful it would be a fantastic experience. These guys I would think are at the extreme end 

They are all at the extreme - they are all base jumping and base jumping basically gives you seconds to deploy your chute before it is too late. So the slightest thing goes wrong - a hand gets caught, you can't find to deploy, etc, etc, and your are gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Heart of gold 

Never too old in some ways but age does bring on a sense of ones own mortality. 

I was paragliding in mid-Wales one weekend. Got home in the evening to my house and my Mum was clearly distressed. The TV news had reported 3 paragliding accidents that day in 3 different locations. Police had not given out any names.

I stopped after that. I had responsibilities. It also, to be frank, unnerved me.

For all the videos of such people being free spirits who stick a finger up to the man... or whatever they call it.. there are an awful lot of dickheads in those sports. And those dickheads can finish you off by their stupidity - i.e. flying into you and smashing your bones to pulp or collapsing your canopy. Not worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Best thing you can do with a North American Tree Rat.

 

That is fine for North Americans - but it will never deter the French from spying on us.

Be vigilant folks...

 

XYY

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was paragliding in mid-Wales one weekend. Got home in the evening to my house and my Mum was clearly distressed. The TV news had reported 3 paragliding accidents that day in 3 different locations. Police had not given out any names.

I stopped after that. I had responsibilities. It also, to be frank, unnerved me.

For all the videos of such people being free spirits who stick a finger up to the man... or whatever they call it.. there are an awful lot of dickheads in those sports. And those dickheads can finish you off by their stupidity - i.e. flying into you and smashing your bones to pulp or collapsing your canopy. Not worth it.

There used to be a lot of paragliders near my home town, the hole of horcam. Not seen them there for years and I think it was banned due to erosion of a special interest, some kind of ancient dyke just under where they launched. 

Always looked really good but too scary for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The almost vertical climb going up and down the cables on Half Dome is shown in this video. To think that Joe Public do this, often crowding out the cables in the summer months, with no safety equipment is just nuts. You look on videos and you read comments dismissing the idea of using a harness & caribiner on the cables as people fell that it slows others down. But if you watch enough of the videos you see some people coming close to slipping when passing others. Or being polite to get out of the way of some jerk in a hurry and almost losing their hand grip themselves.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • spunko featured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...