• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

hapax legomenon

Favourite Youtube Videos

When this woman was born:

Tower Bridge hadn’t been built
Edison hadn’t invented the light bulb

The Wright Bros hadn’t left terra firma 

and although it wouldn’t be built for decades, if it had done so successfully, The Titanic would take a week to cross the Atlantic one way

By the time this interview was filmed she could have taken Concorde to the US premiere of Star Wars (whatever the fuck she’d have made of that) and have been comfortably back home in her own bed the same day.

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible but it certainly seems highly unlikely anyone could witness as much change in a single lifetime now. You see people say in Youtube comments of old TV things like ‘I bet they couldn’t imagine someone would be watching this in the future in their car’ when they could easily potentially imagine that as they knew what both a TV and car are but in this woman’s case neither existed when she was born even as concepts (I’m aware of Trevithick’s steam carriage but I doubt the average man on the street was then)

On 27/07/2020 at 07:47, Gloommonger said:

You should watch the videos. Whatever his background he's remarkable in that he took an unpaid apprenticeship at a boat builder when he was 17, learned the trade and took on such an immense project. Most trustafarians either blow the money or work in the 'city'. His work ethic and never say die attitude is breathtaking. 

He took an unpaid apprenticeship cause he's a spoilt trustafarian brat with shit ton of daddy's money in the bank. Doesn't have to worry about trivial things such as keeping food in the fridge or the leccy on. No doubt already had a few off the shelf yachts daddy brought him, moored in some exclusive marinas but that wouldn't make good youtube would it? Most other 17 year olds have to either study or get  job not fuck around on boats. If they had youtube back in the 18th century no doubt half the posters on here would be furiously wanking themselves into a coma over 17 year old aristocrats filming themselves on the grand tour as well.

Edited by gibbon

3 hours ago, gibbon said:

He took an unpaid apprenticeship cause he's a spoilt trustafarian brat with shit ton of daddy's money in the bank. Doesn't have to worry about trivial things such as keeping food in the fridge or the leccy on. No doubt already had a few off the shelf yachts daddy brought him, moored in some exclusive marinas but that wouldn't make good youtube would it? Most other 17 year olds have to either study or get  job not fuck around on boats. If they had youtube back in the 18th century no doubt half the posters on here would be furiously wanking themselves into a coma over 17 year old aristocrats filming themselves on the grand tour as well.

Yeah. That's a real chew these days. All those obese morons out there staring into their charged iPhones and 50inch tells  must actually be real risk taking geniuses,from wealthy backgrounds. 

There is a sidechannel attack to be exploited here where I can work out what any one of you has been watching on youtube by clicking on the links you post from a cookie-cleared browser, then seeing what pops up as recommended in the sidebar. Either that, or your dead lazy and rather than posting links to your most treasured viewings, you're just posting to whatever's big on Youtube that day!

1 hour ago, Nippy said:

There is a sidechannel attack to be exploited here where I can work out what any one of you has been watching on youtube by clicking on the links you post from a cookie-cleared browser, then seeing what pops up as recommended in the sidebar. Either that, or your dead lazy and rather than posting links to your most treasured viewings, you're just posting to whatever's big on Youtube that day!

That's not gonna work. The links are completely anonymous. What's more likely to happen is YT will either try to link the IP you're accessing from to your own YT account or if you don't have an account, a shadow account/profile they've already got of you from your IP/browser fingerprint/other external sources.

6 hours ago, gibbon said:

So what? I don't know his circumstances nor do you and hardly his fault if he was born into wealth. All I see is a grafter, an admirable quality in anyone regardless of background. If he was working class I'd have the same opinion of him.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

That's not gonna work. The links are completely anonymous

I didn't say they weren't. If A posts three links he's watched, and I watch them also. In the absence of any other information about me, what is YT going to recommend next to me? A fourth video that A has watched.

2 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

So what? I don't know his circumstances nor do you and hardly his fault if he was born into wealth. All I see is a grafter, an admirable quality in anyone regardless of background. If he was working class I'd have the same opinion of him.

That's fine, nothing wrong being born into wealth. Being born into wealth then bullshitting about eating out of bins or keeping boats on Bristol docks by magic, which your average prole coudln't dream of affording, well he can go fuck himself. Grafter my fucking ass.

2 hours ago, Nippy said:

I didn't say they weren't. If A posts three links he's watched, and I watch them also. In the absence of any other information about me, what is YT going to recommend next to me? A fourth video that A has watched.

Sure that would definitely work if it's only A and you watching those videos. I doubt that's the case though?

14 hours ago, gibbon said:

Grafter my fucking ass.

Just because / even if his parents have money doesn't mean he's had access to much of it.

The dumpster diving etc might well be true.    The only advantage he has is knowing he can take a risk with his life,  and always have a parental back up as a last resort.

But he clearly is passionate, and a grafter,  and pretty smart.

He must love boats otherwise why choose that as a career path ?   Boat builders go bust every year,   it's no guaranteed route to riches. 

He has now acquired some very niche skills (seriously,  I imagine there are fewer than 50 or so people in the world who could do what he has done and who properly understand traditional wooden shipwrighting.  And most who do will be in their twilight years now).

He has taken what he has learned in a short amount of time and applied it with exceptional skill and confidence.   What he is doing really isn't a trivial feat.

41 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Just because / even if his parents have money doesn't mean he's had access to much of it.

The dumpster diving etc might well be true.    The only advantage he has is knowing he can take a risk with his life,  and always have a parental back up as a last resort.

But he clearly is passionate, and a grafter,  and pretty smart.

He must love boats otherwise why choose that as a career path ?   Boat builders go bust every year,   it's no guaranteed route to riches. 

He has now acquired some very niche skills (seriously,  I imagine there are fewer than 50 or so people in the world who could do what he has done and who properly understand traditional wooden shipwrighting.  And most who do will be in their twilight years now).

He has taken what he has learned in a short amount of time and applied it with exceptional skill and confidence.   What he is doing really isn't a trivial feat.

I know 2 boat builders on Bristol docks, full grown men, neither of them can afford to have their own boats on the docks. If you lot on here want to believe some silver spoon lad having boats on the docks at 17 with a bullshit backstory of dumpster diving and living in cupboards under stairs then fair enough. Soon as I learn someones a bullshitter they are done with me, let alone some fucking toff who pretends like he had it hard for his media personality. Unlike this privileged prick I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and have seen people scraping to get by and real suffering.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

I know 2 boat builders on Bristol docks, full grown men, neither of them can afford to have their own boats on the docks. If you lot on here want to believe some silver spoon lad having boats on the docks at 17 with a bullshit backstory of dumpster diving and living in cupboards under stairs then fair enough. Soon as I learn someones a bullshitter they are done with me, let alone some fucking toff who pretends like he had it hard for his media personality. Unlike this privileged prick I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and have seen people scraping to get by and real suffering.

Who says he owned a boat in Bristol docks at 17? How do you know he's bullshitting? Seems you have a massive chip on your shoulder against anyone not born into poverty. You can't buy the skills and knowledge he has acquired.

20 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

Who says he owned a boat in Bristol docks at 17? How do you know he's bullshitting? Seems you have a massive chip on your shoulder against anyone not born into poverty. You can't buy the skills and knowledge he has acquired.

He never said that. According to one episode he said he went travelling after school. He came back and got into boat building at 20.  He then started skippering to make money. So what if he has contacts and background wealth. His skills are there to see. They took effort and graft to get. They are clearly on display in what he does. He's not down a pub in Bristol braying about skills that noone gets to see. Likewise he's not sat in a pub not in Bristol being bitter and telling every cunt he'd be a greater person if he had the chances others had. 

3 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

Nope not at all. I do however have a massive chip on my shoulder for bullshitting cunts who were born into wealth then bullshit about eating out of bins and living in cupboards.

Edited by gibbon

31 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Two slices? You poof, hardly an appetizer for a real man.

:)

It was to accompany my pie, chips and peas.

Can't beat a pie sandwich with loads of tomato sauce...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man