DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made some little squeaks of excitement while watching this.  

Goth disco!... The one with the foaming mouth is gonna give you the rona 😂 

Mind blown - this is the nearest thing to time travel.

Posted Images

On 07/09/2020 at 22:04, Libspero said:

Just watched zulu for the first time..

Yesterday watched the dirty dozen:

Seem to be a few old classics appearing at the moment..

I watched Zulu again, for probably the tenth time, last week.

Always worried me as a kid, when the black girls had their threpnies out in the first scene, was it right to get a chubby?

I've since become less bigoted and crack one out whenever I watch, made for some uncomfortable family Christmases mind..:wanker:

34 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

It`s still going ,it never closed ,the production did but repair has always been there

The service and repair is not very big and has always been there and stayed when the factory closed. The factory site was the other side of Tickford St and I’m sure you’ll be able to guess what’s on there now. 

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Never knew this existed until I stumbled upon it the F82 twin Mustang.
https://youtu.be/EUrkjSUU11c

The props are contrarotating. According to WP, it will fly only when the starboard engine rotates clockwise when viewed from the front, and the port counterclockwise because otherwise lift is destroyed over the central wing. Bit puzzled by that---if rotor upwash destroys lift, isn't that true on all prop-driven aircraft so asymmetric wings are necessary, and couldn't they have altered the angle of incidence of the central wing? The prototypes had R-R Merlin engines. The US wanted all-American engines so had Allison develop some turbocharged V12 engines, and lost horizontal speed and ceiling height! All the records are set by the development and trainer versions with the Merlin engines.

On 14/09/2020 at 17:50, Nippy said:

The props are contrarotating. According to WP, it will fly only when the starboard engine rotates clockwise when viewed from the front, and the port counterclockwise because otherwise lift is destroyed over the central wing. Bit puzzled by that---if rotor upwash destroys lift, isn't that true on all prop-driven aircraft so asymmetric wings are necessary, and couldn't they have altered the angle of incidence of the central wing?

I expect it is more to do with whether the flow stays laminar or not.

The prop on a single engine plane may have a-symmetric flow direction..  but it will be laminar and mostly be pushing air in the right direction over the wings. 

On the other hand,  I expect two props together where adjacent blades move in opposite directions create a vortex of chaotic non-laminar flow making it harder for the wing to generate lift.

47 minutes ago, Libspero said:

two props together where adjacent blades move in opposite directions create a vortex of chaotic non-laminar flow making it harder for the wing to generate lift.

From the outset, the engines were designed as a contrarotating pair, so the blade tips from adjacent props always moved in the same linear direction where they met, bit like meshed gears, but ====engine 1====engine 2==== arrangement couldn't fly, but ====engine2====engine 1==== arrangement could.