DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

VW Transporter, any experience?

Mirror Mirror

Question

Mirror Mirror

I’m thinking of buying a VW transporter or similar, as I often have to move stuff around and as I move into semi retirement, I’m thinking of maybe travelling to different areas for longer periods, taking on some longer term lets, with a view to possibly moving there. So I’d like to have more of my stuff with me than will fit into a couple of suitcases. I also might want to tow a small sailing dinghy.

I was thinking of a VW transporter type thing, not a camper van and no seats, so I’ve got the option of filling it with stuff, but also of crashing out in the back on the floor if necessary.

Is a VW a good option or is a Transit or similar just as good? VWs seem to command high prices as used vehicles, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing as maybe you get back a lot of your money if you come to sell again.

6 answers to this question

I think they are still best of the crop in the older age group, but at the moment stupidly expensive. Old transits can be mechanically very good but rust badly, modern ones seem much more desirable. VW's do command good resale prices but if you overpay now you are not getting as much van for your money and for a long term purchase maybe not such a good idea, the value s/h is more for conversion to day or full conversion rather than being used as a van and shoving value eating miles on it.

If you are not looking for a full sized van I've looked at the Dispatch/Expert and NV200 as most likely alternatives, looking just slightly smaller than a MWB Transporter.  

What sort of age / budget and annual mileage did you have in mind? 

Edited by onlyme
  • Informative 1

Mirror Mirror

Thanks, good advice and just the kind of thing I was looking for.

I wouldn’t mind a bit of reliability so not a heap, so maybe max 10 years old up to £10k. I realise that probably rules out the VW.

Why are they so expensive?

1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Thanks, good advice and just the kind of thing I was looking for.

I wouldn’t mind a bit of reliability so not a heap, so maybe max 10 years old up to £10k. I realise that probably rules out the VW.

Why are they so expensive?

I put it largely down to half decent mechanically and very good bodywork galvanisation - makes them a good candidate for keeping and upgrading/conversion, plus a large dollop of historical cult about them. Size is about right too - not too big or too small, drives like a car (T5 onwards). Doesn't;t make it a particularly good builders' van but good for rentals/larger deliveries and service sector. Used heavily by RAC and AA which says something.

Cheeky I know but I have one that has been part up for sale over the last year (I got truly buggered around with it selling it during lockdown and took it off the market, a bit older but quite a bit cheaper T5 with just over 100k on the clock. PM if interested, lots of bits with it for day van as much little to ave a permanent or temporary to suit - kitchen pod, rolling bed and loads of bits. You can still get a lot in with bed flats fills most of load space, depends what you are carrying really.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Mirror Mirror
20 hours ago, onlyme said:

I put it largely down to half decent mechanically and very good bodywork galvanisation - makes them a good candidate for keeping and upgrading/conversion, plus a large dollop of historical cult about them. Size is about right too - not too big or too small, drives like a car (T5 onwards). Doesn't;t make it a particularly good builders' van but good for rentals/larger deliveries and service sector. Used heavily by RAC and AA which says something.

Cheeky I know but I have one that has been part up for sale over the last year (I got truly buggered around with it selling it during lockdown and took it off the market, a bit older but quite a bit cheaper T5 with just over 100k on the clock. PM if interested, lots of bits with it for day van as much little to ave a permanent or temporary to suit - kitchen pod, rolling bed and loads of bits. You can still get a lot in with bed flats fills most of load space, depends what you are carrying really.

Cheers! Did not know they were galvanised, so in theory the body and chassis should last forever.

Thanks for the offer of the vehicle, not cheeky at all.

Ill pass on it for the moment though thanks as at this stage I’m really only considering options, but if and when I get to the point where I’m looking for one, I’ll revisit. Of course, if you decide to sell in the meantime, that’s my hard luck.

onlyme
11 hours ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Cheers! Did not know they were galvanised, so in theory the body and chassis should last forever.

Thanks for the offer of the vehicle, not cheeky at all.

Ill pass on it for the moment though thanks as at this stage I’m really only considering options, but if and when I get to the point where I’m looking for one, I’ll revisit. Of course, if you decide to sell in the meantime, that’s my hard luck.

No probs at all even as a marker / reference point might be useful to you for something like more realistic pricing- there is some real speculative pricing out there.  The bodywork galv on the T5 (and I presume T6) is amazing, underside though is usual affair - big lumps of steel coated with not a lot.

• Cheers 1

Caravan Monster

All vans are stupid prices at the moment. Was having a scan of the classifieds wondering how much it would cost to replace my rusty VW LT35 and it looks like a budget of £10k to £12k for a worthwhile upgrade, which is 3x what the LT cost from a dealer nearly ten years ago. The smaller vans like Transporters are even higher prices because of demand. Also be wary of buying modern vans at the lower end of the price scale because although superb to drive compared with those of earlier generations, they are jam packed with all manner of cunning electrickery which most mechanics are not really capable of fixing. Don't know what the solution is and will no doubt continue patching up doors, arches and sills for as long as possible. The real difficulty will come when the fuckwits in power start trying to foist electric vans on us.

• Agree 3