• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

God, yet more shit! It's constant this money going out thing, as soon as I think I am starting to get caught up, something else arrives!

I got an email saying my domain name is expiring in a couple of months, clicked the link to renew, and they want...... $150 for two years. This isn't for website hosting or buying a domain name, this is just the domain name registration cost.

It is with MelbourneIT at the moment, my questions really are- can I move to another domain name registrar, and are there any people would recommend, ideally ones not charging such a ridiculously large fee for doing so?

One hundred and fifty USD!! Dirty bastards, there's no way it should be that much!

Edited by Carl Fimble
removing the cost from the title, it's elsewhere in my post so....

Almost 100% guaranteed spam.

There's lots of fake domain SEO optimisation emails disguised as domain registration emails. 

Always if any doubt go separately to your domain host and check status or put a snippet of the email that you were sent into a search engine and you'll quickly find out if spam or not.

22 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Almost 100% guaranteed spam.

There's lots of fake domain SEO optimisation emails disguised as domain registration emails. 

Always if any doubt go separately to your domain host and check status or put a snippet of the email that you were sent into a search engine and you'll quickly find out if spam or not.

I'll check it again but think it went to their proper site (www.melbourneit.au.com/overchargingbastards)

Edited by Carl Fimble
adjusting the URL

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Most likely spam.

If not, transfer

I use www.gandi.net and have been with them since they started in the 90's

Thanks, are these smaller companies safe to use though? I can't have my website going down because the domain registrar goes bust.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here- IT's not my thing really, this is my first ever, and only website.

9 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Thanks, are these smaller companies safe to use though? I can't have my website going down because the domain registrar goes bust.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here- IT's not my thing really, this is my first ever, and only website.

I don't see Gandi going bust. They have been around since the beginning and I have watched them grow. They live up to their original 'No Bullshit' philosophy. You can have your domain registered with them and use web forwarding to point it to your website hosted somewhere else, or you can use Gandi's website service, either free (probably unsuitable for you) or paid for with an annual subscription.

You can read about Gandi here

[Gandi] manage more than 2.1 million domain names from 192 countries, which places [Gandi] as first among domain name registrars in France, sixth in Europe, and in the top 15 worldwide.

Edited by Hopeful

6 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I don't see Gandi going bust. They have been around since the beginning and I have watched them grow. They live up to their original 'No Bullshit' philosophy. You can have your domain registered with them and use web forwarding to point it to your website hosted somewhere else, or you can use Gandi's website service, either free (probably unsuitable for you) or paid for with an annual subscription.

Ha! I had a look just there and was amused to see their tag line at the top of the page was "no bullshit". 

From looking at their site it looks like the transfer would be free, and then just under €10 (euros) a year after that. That's not far off ten times cheaper than those bastards at MelbourneIT.

Thank you!

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the cost bit

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Ha! I had a look just there and was amused to see their tag line at the top of the page was "no bullshit". 

Whatever you do you need to log in from your main control panel for your domain or your website host who may be handling domain registration fro you to check registration details and the renewal status of the domain, not through the email link. That is the first thing you need to do before anything else.

51 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Whatever you do you need to log in from your main control panel for your domain or your website host who may be handling domain registration fro you to check registration details and the renewal status of the domain, not through the email link. That is the first thing you need to do before anything else.

I will do, the control panel for my domain is handled by MelbouneIT, as soon as I have money I will log in and look into transferring it to another company, MelbourneIT seem like they are overcharging to a ridiculous degree.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Just use GoDaddy for domain (not hosting though!). I think DOSBODS.co.uk cost me about £3 with them.

Hmmmm, I was going to move my site to GoDaddy for hosting (they supposedly use the same type of .APSX files as my current host which is Microsoft), that's all detailed on my thread entitled "Microsoft are dicks", or whatever it's called. I am amused by Gandi's "no bullshit" tagline and impressed at how cheap they are, admittedly not quite as cheap as GoDaddy though...

Thanks!

I was forced to stay with MelbourneIT two years ago as I had let my domain name lapse (I know, I know! Poverty though, not idiocy), this time I'm going to deal with it in plenty of time so I have the time and the option to move it over to a company which does not rip the piss as MelbourneIT seem to be trying to do.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Just use GoDaddy for domain (not hosting though!). I think DOSBODS.co.uk cost me about £3 with them.

I've recently got hosting & domain with godaddy - what's shit about the hosting?

Just now, mattydread said:

I've recently got hosting & domain with godaddy - what's shit about the hosting?

It depends what you're using it for and your budget. If it's a small personal project that doesn't get many visitors, then nothing. But I would not use their shared hosting for anything where my livelihood depends on it, or their VPS hosting for tha tmatter. So many bad experiences and the support staff only want to meet sales targets.

19 minutes ago, mattydread said:

Ah ok - It's for a small trade web site -  Not finished. It's hosting a basic 5 page wordpress site. We'll see

TSOhost are excellent for Wordpress with top notch support. Not the cheapest but their cloud hosting is not expensive in the big scheme of things and reliable.

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

It depends what you're using it for and your budget. If it's a small personal project that doesn't get many visitors, then nothing. But I would not use their shared hosting for anything where my livelihood depends on it, or their VPS hosting for tha tmatter. So many bad experiences and the support staff only want to meet sales targets.

Shit. Will it mean my website is down at points, or slow, or what? 

I was only going to go with them as it sounds by far the easiest and fastest way to get my (30-35 page) website copied over and working before Microsoft give up the hosting they currently offer under MS365.

Just days to go before my domain name expires and so I went on to godaddy (reasons shown up thread, easy transfer of website later) to initiate a transfer, it told me to "unlock my domain" at MelbourneIT (who want 150 US dollars for 2, yes two years!). I logged on at MelobourneIT and went into the control panel bit, clicked the "Unlock my domain" button, and it said "Request is unsupported".

Arseholes!

I have submitted a ticket, or whatever the fuck they call it, I'm imagining they are going to give me some shit about it being too close to the expiry of my domain. Hopefully I won't have to pay the £115 ish it works out at for another two years with those sacks of shit at MelbourneIT. I should have learned my lesson two years ago, I did, but just time, money, being behind, blah, blah.

Anyway, thinking I might just try to initiate the transfer to godaddy from the godaddy site and see what happens, I should really wait for a response to my MelbourneIT ticket, and probably will, only days to go though. Having looked I can see that Gandi (recommended upthread) seem to be doing a deal with free transfers of .co.uk domains, only £6 a year after that. Not sure if I should maybe just transfer the domain name to Gandi now, or once I can unlock it at MelbourneIT anyway, have the domain at Gandi and then, when I transfer my site from MS, have my website hosted at godaddy?

Shit like this stressed me out, I'm wondering too, is all the pointing stuff done at my website host end, the domain name just sits there not pointing anywhere? Or do I need to be changing stuff somewhere. I used to be dead keen on fucking about with computers when I was younger, no time for it now though, it's worse than plumbing in my head, and I really don't like plumbing.

11 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

All mine are with Virtualnames.co.uk  who use melbourne IT as registrar but at normal prices. Sounds like your're being scammed.

Yes I am getting scammed, but by MelbourneIT themselves. It sounds ridiculous, and is, it's real though- they want ($150 USD=£115 ish) more or less ten times what Gandi charge (£12) for two years of domain...ness.

Sacks of Aussie shit, fucking not responded to my ticket yet either...

I'm convinced they are going to tell me "it's too close to the renewal date and fuck you pay", probably won't be worded quite like that though.

I think it would possibly have been cheaper to renew the domain name before now, that they have ramped the price up to fuck with me. I let it lapse a few years ago but got it back, at great expense, and with MelbourneIT again. I should have move it before now I realise.

Own worst enemy and all that.

:$

Edited by Carl Fimble
ten, not twenty, mongo

I was with one hoster here in the UK - owned by Russian oligarch I think - and it was a nightmare to transfer / cancel one domain. They had my debit card details and kept changing the amount of notice time you had to give them to leave. If you left it too wait they would bill you another year, if you cancelled too early they would ignore it.

Cost me a lot of money over a couple of years to get away from them. I read countless reviews with similar problems at the time.

Had to tell my bank not to give them any more payments and then they started sending me threatening letters about coming after me for the money. I felt that I was in a right scam and, as I was very ill at the time, did not have the energy to fight them.

In the end, IIRC, I paid up for one year in advance and immediately cancelled deciding to let the domain just die - it was a domain I was using for email - then sent them a registered letter cancelling and a cheque for the final year payment. A year later they tried to take money from me again and I had to send them a copy of the registered deliver receipt and a letter threatening to take them to court for harrassment. Then they stopped.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

44 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yes I am getting scammed, but by MelbourneIT themselves. It sounds ridiculous, and is, it's real though- they want ($150 USD=£115 ish) more or less ten times what Gandi charge (£12) for two years of domain...ness.

Sacks of Aussie shit, fucking not responded to my ticket yet either...

I'm convinced they are going to tell me "it's too close to the renewal date and fuck you pay", probably won't be worded quite like that though.

I think it would possibly have been cheaper to renew the domain name before now, that they have ramped the price up to fuck with me. I let it lapse a few years ago but got it back, at great expense, and with MelbourneIT again. I should have move it before now I realise.

Own worst enemy and all that.

:$

Surely it is Australian Dollars? I see no mention of USD on their pricing - which I found hard to find - so that will be about £85. Still very expensive.

17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was with one hoster here in the UK - owned by Russian oligarch I think - and it was a nightmare to transfer / cancel one domain. They had my debit card details and kept changing the amount of notice time you had to give them to leave. If you left it too wait they would bill you another year, if you cancelled too early they would ignore it.

Cost me a lot of money over a couple of years to get away from them. I read countless reviews with similar problems at the time.

Had to tell my bank not to give them any more payments and then they started sending me threatening letters about coming after me for the money. I felt that I was in a right scam and, as I was very ill at the time, did not have the energy to fight them.

In the end, IIRC, I paid up for one year in advance and immediately cancelled deciding to let the domain just die - it was a domain I was using for email - then sent them a registered letter cancelling and a cheque for the final year payment. A year later they tried to take money from me again and I had to send them a copy of the registered deliver receipt and a letter threatening to take them to court for harrassment. Then they stopped.

Shit, I don't think it will be as awful as that sounds, I'm still pissed off.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Surely it is Australian Dollars? I see no mention of USD on their pricing - which I found hard to find - so that will be about £85. Still very expensive.

Yes, it is US dollars, I thought that weird too, convert it to GBP for me since they know I'm in the UK, or have it us AUS $.

Got a response from them, of sorts, they obviously haven't read my ticket properly so I have responded trying to get accross exactly what I need to do, and asking for help with it. Fingers crossed, at least I still have a few days. If it costs £115 ish instead of £0 or £6 I am going to be really pissed off, and skint, not a good time of the year to be skint too, no presents bought yet at all. If the next few days go well then I will have had my best month ever money wise, still, fuck paying all that to those scamming arseholes!

Quite annoyed about this..

I use moonfruit (part of gandi I believe) to host a very simple site. Very easy to use for the non technical. If you can use word, you can design a website.

Most of my domains are with 123reg.co.uk - and have been for years. Not had a problem yet.

12 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I use moonfruit (part of gandi I believe) to host a very simple site. Very easy to use for the non technical. If you can use word, you can design a website.

Most of my domains are with 123reg.co.uk - and have been for years. Not had a problem yet.

I have to transfer my entire (30ish pages) site in a month or two and the easiest way for me to do it is to use godaddy, they use .aspx files which are the same as the ones my MS site uses.

MelbourneIT have replied trying to get me to go for it with the carrot of a $20 USD discount (on the $150 USD total for two years), and with the stick of "we only have X days to transfer the domain, what i don't want to happen is that the domain would expire while it was in the middle of a transfer, because it will be interrupted specially there is a website that is connected to your domain."

Urgh! I have emailed back in an attempt to either get him to agree that it can be done without my site going down for any amount of time. I could handle my site being down for a day, or two, but my email I would not like to lose a day of, they will still both be hosted on MS 365, it's only my domain name registrar I am changing. I don't know how much of a risk I might be taking by just going ahead with a transfer, how much of his threat is just to try and make me pay them, again..

I'll keep updating as more emails are received, another thrilling thread from me!

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I have to transfer my entire (30ish pages) site in a month or two and the easiest way for me to do it is to use godaddy, they use .aspx files which are the same as the ones my MS site uses.

MelbourneIT have replied trying to get me to go for it with the carrot of a $20 USD discount (on the $150 USD total for two years), and with the stick of "we only have X days to transfer the domain, what i don't want to happen is that the domain would expire while it was in the middle of a transfer, because it will be interrupted specially there is a website that is connected to your domain."

Urgh! I have emailed back in an attempt to either get him to agree that it can be done without my site going down for any amount of time. I could handle my site being down for a day, or two, but my email I would not like to lose a day of, they will still both be hosted on MS 365, it's only my domain name registrar I am changing. I don't know how much of a risk I might be taking by just going ahead with a transfer, how much of his threat is just to try and make me pay them, again..

I'll keep updating as more emails are received, another thrilling thread from me!

Your site is hosted it on MS 365?

MelbourneIT are letting you go?

If so, simply register with a new domain name registar and then they will handle the moving over of your domain name from MelbourneIT to them. They will let you know once it has happened and you can immediately log into your new account with them and point your domain name and email at the respective servers on MS 365.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If so, simply register with a new domain name registar and then they will handle the moving over of your domain name from MelbourneIT to them. They will let you know once it has happened and you can immediately log into your new account with them and point your domain name and email at the respective servers on MS 365.

Yes, I have been with them for some time, already had to rebuild my site when they decided to change everything, it was ridiculous, and a pain in the arse, took ages. I vowed to leave them after that but didn't, and not I'm being forced out as they aren't offering websites anymore. Dicks!

I'm not sure if they are letting me go, his last email sounded like they could let me go, but it was risky, ps- I can offer you a paltry amount of money off in a bid to entice you to pay our way overpriced service and avoid any pain. Waiting for his next email back to me...

I would have just gone ahead and done it earlier today if it hadn't stopped me unlocking the domain name with MelbourneIT, if this guy unlocks it and I quickly transfer it over to Gandi I reckon it should be ok. So I point the domain name at my email and website servers, right, makes sense. Thank you! It sounds fairly painless, will this be ok happening while my domain name expires (at the start of December), I have a few days still.

I'm thinking he didn't like the tone of my last email, I might send another, just asking him to unlock it for me and provide me with whatever I will need to transfer to another provider.

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Thank you too!

I'm all out of reps but will pop back once mine have replenished.

:Geek: