Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Guess where, local knowledge helps but there should be clues in the photo


Recommended Posts

Chewing Grass

Went past this, locally famous place in my neck of the woods today, guess where and whatterracotta.thumb.JPG.319994647d708ea35086177b7ea5e5b3.JPG

Edited by Chewing Grass
Link to post
Share on other sites
Libspero

Jabez Thompson seems to have owned most of the Terra Cotta works around Northwich,  so my guess is one of those.  Either on Warrington road or Manchester road?

Jabez+Thompson+2+Works+%253F_edited-1.jp

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Grey Man

Going to go for closer to Stoke...as its kinda potteries.

Plant pots?

Link to post
Share on other sites
The XYY Man
Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2021 at 15:44, Chewing Grass said:

Went past this, locally famous place in my neck of the woods today, guess where and what

terracotta.JPG

 

 

DTMark's outside bog...?

Sounds Italian enough to me mind...

 

XYY

@DTMark

Edited by The XYY Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
Chewing Grass
16 hours ago, Libspero said:

Jabez Thompson seems to have owned most of the Terra Cotta works around Northwich,  so my guess is one of those.  Either on Warrington road or Manchester road?

Jabez+Thompson+2+Works+%253F_edited-1.jp

Nope, wrong town.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Chewing Grass
1 hour ago, The Grey Man said:

Going to go for closer to Stoke...as its kinda potteries.

Plant pots?

Nope, wrong town, wrong product.

Clue 'Reds' not Manchester or United, commonly referred to as '******* Reds'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Vendetta
Posted (edited)
On 30/04/2021 at 15:44, Chewing Grass said:

Went past this, locally famous place in my neck of the woods today, guess where and whatterracotta.thumb.JPG.319994647d708ea35086177b7ea5e5b3.JPG

Salford

An old Swimming Baths, or old theatre building maybe? Waterworks? 

Edited by Vendetta
Link to post
Share on other sites
Libspero

I’m just firing from the hip now..  scatter gun style.

Shaws of Darwen did Terracotta,  but it doesn’t look like the Darwen site.

Pilkington did it at Clifton..   that’s probably my best guess at the moment.  Impressive cycle ride from Warrington though :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Chewing Grass
1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

Salford

An old Swimming Baths, or old theatre building maybe? Waterworks? 

 

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I’m just firing from the hip now..  scatter gun style.

Shaws of Darwen did Terracotta,  but it doesn’t look like the Darwen site.

Pilkington did it at Clifton..   that’s probably my best guess at the moment.  Impressive cycle ride from Warrington though :D

Nope.

I shall reveal the answer, they made Ruabon Red quarry tiles and ornamental terracotta.

Dennis Ruabon Quarry Tile Factory

Demand for the red bricks and terracotta was high and by 1893 a new factory which became known as the “Red Works” was constructed on the site where the present-day building still stands. This newly constructed  factory gave birth to the best known and highest quality of tile and bricks in Britain, during the early 1900’s most buildings within proximity of the “Red Works” and even around Britain were constructed with bricks and tiles which were manufactured at the “Red Works” site.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0087524,-3.026184,354m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

https://www.wrexham-history.com/henry-dyke-dennis-red-works/

https://ruabonsales.co.uk/

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Libspero

Interesting.

And still an impressive cycle ride from Warrington :Beer:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Vendetta
54 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

 

Nope.

I shall reveal the answer, they made Ruabon Red quarry tiles and ornamental terracotta.

Dennis Ruabon Quarry Tile Factory

Demand for the red bricks and terracotta was high and by 1893 a new factory which became known as the “Red Works” was constructed on the site where the present-day building still stands. This newly constructed  factory gave birth to the best known and highest quality of tile and bricks in Britain, during the early 1900’s most buildings within proximity of the “Red Works” and even around Britain were constructed with bricks and tiles which were manufactured at the “Red Works” site.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0087524,-3.026184,354m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

https://www.wrexham-history.com/henry-dyke-dennis-red-works/

https://ruabonsales.co.uk/

Everyday is a learning day......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...